Mini Review Zack Zero

LegendExeter

Took an extra few days to think on this one...it's a mixed bag but mostly good.

It's an adventure platforming game with some feel of Metroid yet Spelunky at the same time.  Perhaps this is what this gen calls "metroidvania", yet I don't know about all that hoop-LA.  I want to say you're like a megaman type character yet not really, you have your normal suit, and then 3 different types of elemental power suits you can switch to with a simple tap of the directional control.  So L3 is to move, while directional is to choose/change suits.  You don't really change your suit I guess, it's just that you are kind of imbued with elemental energy when you hit one of the directionals.  Stone, Ice, and Fire - are your 3 choices aside from normal.   The stone will allow you to have incredible strength to move or break damaged objects, ice will allow you to slow time and freeze enemies, while fire is the only one that while you have it just selected and then running it will lower your special energy.  That's because Fire is the fastest so it increases your run speed, its other ability is that you can jump and hold on to the X button and you will float for up to like 5 seconds while continuing in the direction you jumped.  

The game is not difficult and should be finished in about 2 sessions.  There is one glitched trophy, the finding all treasures one and the simple fix is just to replay level 1 after getting all the treasures in the game, grab the two treasures on level 1 again and it will pop.  The other trophies are mainly around combat and how you kill the enemies.  The guide I found is at pstrophies.org, the only thing you really should need is the locations of the treasures.  All of the bosses you can figure out the strategy on your own, its not that hard, however he does have a bosses guide there as well.  I only had to look on the final boss after I tried a few times, and then I realized I already was doing what the guide writer was doing I was like....ugh!  The final boss is just cheap and it will probably catch you off guard and kill you a few times, no worries keep trying and you will get it.

The game has some save feature for the bosses in thirds, where there is typically a mini cut scene.  It's as those points within the battles where if you die the game will respawn you at that point, including the bosses health.  If you die before you reach the cut scene though, you have to start over with the boss at whatever health it had at its prior checkpoint.  

The graphics are really good, the art between levels is cartoony, and the story is pretty weak including a completely worthless ending.  The game is mostly pretty cool, the levels can feel long as a bit of exploration is needed in getting those treasure items.  What annoys me about this game though is the traps or obstacles.  You will find some difficult traps in this game, or tricky parts where not even a good platformer can make it past without dying a few times.  The electricity ones seem always in the way, and in the factory there are buzz saws and smashers all over the place.  The worst though is on the 1st level, where the chick on radio tells you "you should stop time to make it past this trap".  Ok so she is talking about one of those smasher traps like thwomp from Super Mario yet they have spikes on the bottom, are made of rock, and they cascade down.  Can't remember there are like 6 to 7 of them.  Ok so to use this you hit Up to switch to Ice suit, and then the O button to freeze time....which really is a very slowed down affect.  Then you have to run and try to make it before it smashes you.  What I found so absurd about this trap is that you can't make it without freezing time, ok sure....makes sense...however you can BARELY make it at all even with the damn frozen time!!!  It's so ridiculous, so you have a power up of which it should help make portions of the game easier, and instead you are barely scraping it by.  I died there I have no idea how many times, its so damn stupid.

Overall the question is why are the traps so damn hard right away, there are like 18 levels I think and the games traps don't really get harder, when I say traps I'm probably just thinking platforming objects to avoid or deal with.  I would recommend this game, I found it fun, the trophies come at a good pace and so you feel like you are making progress.

Important to note to explore a little bit in each level, you will want to collect as many of the Green Orbs as possible, as they level up your suit and you need to get it to level 20 for a trophy, if you don't get it while going through the game you need to start a new game.  I had no trouble simply following the guys treasure guide.  If you die any green orbs you collected are saved, you do not have to reacquire them, yet be aware that where you got them from they won't be there anymore either, so you can't die keep acquiring them to level up faster in the same spot.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Thanks for the review. Never knew this game existed until I watched trophy review videos that KingSuperOne used to do on his channel.

Absolutely.  Yeah I'm not trying to be the next IGN or anything, yet forums with no threads I want to post a review on, so there is at least some background information on the games.  I guess perhaps I should add if you like "these games" then you might like this.  It's a pretty decent game with the story/ending being honestly the worst part, the rest of it is tolerable if not enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I'm playing this game right now. At first I thought it was basic but still okay, however I've encountered an annoying bug which makes this game very difficult to recommend.

Zack's suit will sometimes randomly change on its own. It's distracting seeing the suit flash to a different mode when you're not expecting it, but at its worst this causes death (like when you need to run fast in fire mode to make it past traps and the suit switches to slow-plodding stone mode halfway through the trap). This didn't start happening for me until level 3, but then happened very frequently on level 4.

At first I thought maybe I was touching the d-pad by mistake and started being extra careful not to touch it, but that wasn't it; the problem continued with my fingers nowhere near the d-pad. And my controller isn't the problem either, it doesn't register phantom d-pad inputs in any other game.

I am streaming this game through PS Plus and not playing it natively on a PS3, so maybe that's a contributing factor somehow? My internet is quite robust, download speeds aren't a problem. @LegendExeter did you ever encounter this problem? The game is short so I'll probably soldier on and just deal with it until the game is finished, but it's very irritating.

18 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I'm playing this game right now. At first I thought it was basic but still okay, however I've encountered an annoying bug which makes this game very difficult to recommend.

Zack's suit will sometimes randomly change on its own. It's distracting seeing the suit flash to a different mode when you're not expecting it, but at its worst this causes death (like when you need to run fast in fire mode to make it past traps and the suit switches to slow-plodding stone mode halfway through the trap). This didn't start happening for me until level 3, but then happened very frequently on level 4.

At first I thought maybe I was touching the d-pad by mistake and started being extra careful not to touch it, but that wasn't it; the problem continued with my fingers nowhere near the d-pad. And my controller isn't the problem either, it doesn't register phantom d-pad inputs in any other game.

I am streaming this game through PS Plus and not playing it natively on a PS3, so maybe that's a contributing factor somehow? My internet is quite robust, download speeds aren't a problem. @LegendExeter did you ever encounter this problem? The game is short so I'll probably soldier on and just deal with it until the game is finished, but it's very irritating.

No I did not have any glitches or problems while playing.  That is very odd, I was able to go ice suit and then switch to fire suit with seamless transition and other changes went fine.

My first thought is of course suspecting the controller.  I can't remember now yet if you can adjust the controls I would try that and see if it helps or try another controller.  You can also uninstall and reinstall the game.  Very strange.

Edited by LegendExeter