The all new PlayStation Stars loyalty program (Stars are not NFTs)

The_Kopite

First thoughts, I think it'll be great to try and grow the community more. With trophies being part of this scheme, it's free so why not. Good to see them try at least. 

Edit: Something, something, boo

Edited by ZedsDeadStevo
Needed a hint of negativity
  • Like 1

We've been down this road before. In the past, it was a tacked on feature that hardly worked. This one looks a bit more thought out, though, and it costs nothing to participate. Free crap is free crap.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

I just wonder about those 'digital collectibles' though - potentially Sony's form of NFT's?

The digital collectibles don't appear to be tradable in any way also not based on any kind of blockchain so definitely not any form of NFTs.

Once you become a member, you’ll earn rewards by completing a variety of campaigns and activities. Our “Monthly Check-In” campaign simply requires you to play any game to receive a reward, while other campaigns require you to win tournaments, earn specific trophies, or even be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone.

All PlayStation Stars members will have opportunities to earn loyalty points. Points can be redeemed in a catalog that may include PSN wallet funds and select PlayStation Store products. As an additional benefit, PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store

This sounds a lot like what Sony has been doing for decades with a program they used to call RLS and then later called On PlayStation, which is a sales associate training program for retailers selling PlayStation products.

If so, those loyalty points will be for specific activities, not just earning any trophies like that last hot mess of an attempt of increasing trophy earning to increase Sonys marketing and advertising. I expect the specific activities will be time-limited and either quizzes, or possibly playing specific games.

Ha ha, @G4Knight posted the same response about NFTs as I was finishing typing up my response.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, G4Knight said:

“It’s definitely not NFTs. Definitely not. You can’t trade them or sell them. It is not leveraging any blockchain technologies and definitely not NFTs,” 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/07/14/sony-playstation-stars-announcement/

27 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The digital collectibles don't appear to be tradable in any way also not based on any kind of blockchain so definitely not any form of NFTs.

That's excellent news! Well then I can only see good potential things with this service :)

Sounds kinda similar to how things work on the Nintendo Switch - earning points for purchases on the eshop (or redeeming gold points from some physical games), having "missions" and earning platinum points by completing them, etc.

Can't say I really have much of an opinion on this, I'm gonna have to wait and see it in action before I can pass any real judgement. In theory it sounds like it could be cool, but this is Sony and... I've lost count of how often I've been disappointed in their "ideas", especially in cases like this where they've seemingly taken inspiration from another company. The PlayStation Classic was immensely disappointing, and I know it's still early days, but I'm still waiting on an actual decent catalogue of classic games since they introduced the new PS+.

• Like 2

Hopefully it's a bit like Microsoft Rewards but naturally without the Bing part. You get points for example for earning a daily achievement, starting a certain Game Pass game, accomplishing a task in a certain Game Pass game (kill 5 enemies for example), play Game Pass every day and such. I get about $15-20 every month from Microsoft Rewards without much effort.

• Like 3

steam has some kind of collectible system but with cards. if i had to guess it's a mix of Xbox and steam.

i spent a decent amount of money on the PSN store each month.

edit: not really a fan of becoming the first one to plat a game. i like to work on them at my own pace.

Edited by Lordguwa
  • Like 2

So people who are the first to plat a game in a certain timezone will get a prize. I wonder how big the trophy hunting community in the timezones east of Hawaii and in greenland are. Because theres no way ill get any of them in my timezone in the good old usa.

1 hour ago, Bishcraft said:

I still want Sony to send you an actual Platinum trophy to you when you reach a certain amount of platinum trophies, that would be cool!

That wouldn't be a very good idea though, it would only encourage people to earn more ezpz platinums and thus become less special to the individual. 

• Like 1