The all new PlayStation Stars loyalty program (Stars are not NFTs)

The_Kopite

If they tie trophies to actual rewards, it could mean that they will start to check for cheating accounts, and might actually do something about trophy-whoring shovelware. I mean, I doubt it will, especially as they seemed to go out of their way to tie rewards to "some" games and earning "specific" trophies, but you know. Would be nice.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, visighost said:

If they tie trophies to actual rewards, it could mean that they will start to check for cheating accounts, and might actually do something about trophy-whoring shovelware. I mean, I doubt it will, especially as they seemed to go out of their way to tie rewards to "some" games and earning "specific" trophies, but you know. Would be nice.

All the multiple accounts that were registered in countries where you don't live will sooner or later be blocked anyway and all the trophies earned with them will be deleted. I've been prophesying that for years here in the forum, but nobody listens to me.

Edited by Sikutai

1 hour ago, Lordguwa said:

steam has some kind of collectible system but with cards. if i had to guess it's a mix of Xbox and steam.

i spent a decent amount of money on the PSN store each month.

edit: not really a fan of becoming the first one to plat a game. i like to work on them at my own pace.

With high hopes, is maybe a mix between Steam Badges, Cards and Reputation (to use that feature on the PS5 Profile Screen) and the Nintendo Reward System (Spend X amount of money and earn credit)

But in a more realistic way it will be just, Spend 100 Bucks and earn 1 dollar, pls understand

• Like 2

For as buggy as the trophy pass system was I really loved it, got a lot of free PSN credit just playing games as I normally do. I was pretty sad when they killed it.

Hopefully this brings some of that fun back. And actually works properly since I never got any credit for like the last 6 months the service was active.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

All the multiple accounts that were registered in countries where you don't live will sooner or later be blocked anyway and all the trophies earned with them will be deleted. I've been prophesying that for years here in the forum, but nobody listens to me.

That's because we've all been hearing it for years... and nothing has happened. There's been no evidence provided this is actually any concern, just pure speculation.

11 minutes ago, visighost said:

Seems like this program is avoiding that model of giving rewards just for blanket trophy earning. If anything, it wouldn't be the rest of PlayStation looking to so something about changing the games they allow, buy rather it would be this marketing program adapting around the type of games you're describing.

That would be a really weird response from Sony starting just now: "Well, we've absolutely never really cared about allowing submissions that make it easy to earn trophies, but now we've got this new program that offers some digital rewards so we're going to go ahead a deny your submission."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bishcraft said:

I still want Sony to send you an actual Platinum trophy to you when you reach a certain amount of platinum trophies, that would be cool!

1 hour ago, StygianWolf4 said:

That wouldn't be a very good idea though, it would only encourage people to earn more ezpz platinums and thus become less special to the individual. 

I agree with both of you on this. However, maybe instead of a certain number of plats, you get a real platinum trophy for achieving level 999. Which means you have to play more then the ezpz ones and have to put in YEARS of effort to achieve it. There are currently only 592 level 999's on the leaderboards as of this posting, so it wouldnt be much for Sony to do. I think it would be awesome if they did something like that for the true gamers and trophy hunters out there!

Edited by Smiddster3

Heck, I'd be satisfied if this ends up even half as lucrative as trophy passes were. Although it was barely functional half the time⁠—and a customer service rep actually admitted to me that the system never counted trophies correctly from the beginning—I still made over $200 in PSN credit through that damned program. Now, I only earn like $10 a month through credit card purchases on Sony Rewards, if I'm lucky, and it kinda sucks. Currently, I supplement it with Microsoft Rewards searches and whatnot, so I almost never spend my own cash for digital games. This could be a nice addition.

• Like 2

A loyalty program like play asia would be nice. For every purchase you make you get a certain amount of coins. Then you can use those coins for your next purchase. Last time i did that i got 8$ cheaper on getting 2 physical games. 

I was actually pleased with it. Since i don't buy that much either from there

I fell down a rabbit hole on Twitter of NFT bros on Twitter mocking Sony for saying that they aren't offering these as NFTs while saying that these are effectively are them, even thought they've made clear that there's no blockchain in these collectables.

From what I can tell of the collectables is that they'll be similar to how Trophies are non-tradable.

I know no one was discussing whether these winnable collectables were or were not NFTs, but in need to document my brain rot somewhere.

Sounds neat.  If it is like the Rewards, that's like an extra $10 PSN Credit every so often.  At least that's what I did.    Every time I got 1000 points I traded it in for credit.  Like I wasn't going to save up enough for the big stuff and none of the little stuff outside the credit was for me.

Trophy bit sounds fun.  Probably like avatars and themes and stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sikutai said:

Nobody listens because you can't say that as though it's fact, no one knows if that will happen. And I doubt Sony could just "delete" Trophies. I doubt Sony will crack down on the multiple region accounts when it's been fine for over like 12 years since the PS3 era. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

This sounds a lot like what Sony has been doing for decades with a program they used to call RLS and then later called On PlayStation, which is a sales associate training program for retailers selling PlayStation products.

If so, those loyalty points will be for specific activities, not just earning any trophies like that last hot mess of an attempt of increasing trophy earning to increase Sonys marketing and advertising. I expect the specific activities will be time-limited and either quizzes, or possibly playing specific games.

Heck yeah Retail Loyalty Site!  Got a handful of PS2 games from that for doing simple multiple choice quizzes.I think the oddest thing I got is this legal pad holder with some pockets for other bits of paper. Fully branded with the logos and stuff. 

Intel also had a similar thing while I was at "electronics store," read some pages of upcoming products, do some quizzes, earn points, get real stuff. But Intel had some items free like a jacket I wore for nearly a decade, and some items at a steep discount like a i7 cpu/motherboard I resold for a small profit. 

They were both great as a hidden perk that could help in my daily duties at the store. 

The recentish Sony Rewards was alright, but it was mainly geared toward buying their junk with credit cards associated with Sony. And then all the stuff was super expensive in their point system. I think I earned about $40 from that on trophy passes. I did the math on how much a game was worth in respect to the different trophy passes and their values as points-to-dollars. It was a dark yet interesting time, when my gaming was gameified, and then that was gameified. Example-Deciding to play new long hard game over cheap short easy one for the trophies, so I could earn a pass, to earn points, to finally earn a $10 credit or pay for a copy of Spider-Man at full retail. 

*** DUE NOTE, the Sony Rewards trophy passes were limited to what I recall as 10 passes per trophy type. 10 plat passes, 10 silver, and such. So you were limited to a maximum earnable value with them. You couldn't just jam ratalaika games every day and earn infinite points for infinite money.

I don't see this program having a net positive for Sony. On one hand you will engage with the community more, potentially driving sales of consoles and subscriptions. On the other hand they will have to constantly update with new content, deal with digital errors in this system when they severely lack that skill for basic shit, and double dip on lost sales by handing out $ony Bucks.  Loyalty programs usually only work when the consumer buys thing and you incentivize that purchase with a small % reward back in cash or store credit. Not requiring purchases, or even a PS+ subscription could do more harm than good. It all depends on the numbers, how easy is it to accrue enough points to earn X reward and if that doesn't snowball with the shovelware that has 10 gold 10 silver and 1 plat. 

When more details are released we will know if this is anything more than a push to interest consumers to the Playstation family away from PC/Nintendo. (Xbox is just pc but with more steps(that's a joke(but not really)))

Further ramblings about loyalty programs.

Spoiler

Back a decade ago when I was at "electronic store," the going rate was $5 reward for $250 spent. A measly 2% back, but not bad when they had a wide variety of media and physical goods to purchase that easily hit that trigger multiple times, tvs, appliances, dyson anything.  Lego currently has $5 for every $100 spent, a 5% rate. Good but with Lego you can often find the sets on sale at 10% or 20% off at various retailers, so their loyalty program gets beaten out sometimes from regular sales at walmart. Makes it harder to accrue points, luckily they still allow pick-a-brick purchases to earn points. 

A large chain of department stores owned by Kroger known as Fred Meyer has a fuel savings scheme. During a calendar month, for every $1 you spend, you get 1 fuel point. For every 100 fuel points you redeem at a single gas purchase at certain gas stations, you get $0.10 off per gallon. At minimum, $100 gets you up to $3.50 savings. A rate of 3.5%. But you are limited to using the points you earn in a single month, as well as hard capped to one transaction, maximum redemption of 1000 points for a discount of $1 per gallon, and can only purchase 35 gallons. For the record I have never driven a vehicle with a fuel tank larger than 20 gallons. So you really are going to get about $1-$2 per refuel at the lowest rate, and $10-20 saved at the highest. 

Some purchases offer more points, some extracurricular things such as surveys offer points. This means the rate at which you earn points and at what cost to you the points are will fluctuate wildly, but only in greater value for the consumer. The problem then, lies in that some consumers will never utilize these fuel points if they get a better rate on gas elsewhere, coughcostcocough. 

The final note is the store itself and what you shop for to earn these points. Groceries/home goods/toys/healthcare/beauty supplies/jorts are all available in one store. 

Loyalty programs are weird, and there is also a dark side to tracking your purchases, your number, your address. 

Edited by ZZ383

9 minutes ago, ZZ383 said:

*** DUE NOTE, the Sony Rewards trophy passes were limited to what I recall as 10 passes per trophy type. 10 plat passes, 10 silver, and such. So you were limited to a maximum earnable value with them. You couldn't just jam ratalaika games every day and earn infinite points for infinite money.

Reveal hidden contents

Back a decade ago when I was at "electronic store," the going rate was $5 reward for $250 spent. A measly 2% back, but not bad when they had a wide variety of media and physical goods to purchase that easily hit that trigger multiple times, tvs, appliances, dyson anything.  Lego currently has $5 for every $100 spent, a 5% rate. Good but with Lego you can often find the sets on sale at 10% or 20% off at various retailers, so their loyalty program gets beaten out sometimes from regular sales at walmart. Makes it harder to accrue points, luckily they still allow pick-a-brick purchases to earn points. 

A large chain of department stores owned by Kroger known as Fred Meyer has a fuel savings scheme. During a calendar month, for every $1 you spend, you get 1 fuel point. For every 100 fuel points you redeem at a single gas purchase at certain gas stations, you get $0.10 off per gallon. At minimum, $100 gets you up to $3.50 savings. A rate of 3.5%. But you are limited to using the points you earn in a single month, as well as hard capped to one transaction, maximum redemption of 1000 points for a discount of $1 per gallon, and can only purchase 35 gallons. For the record I have never driven a vehicle with a fuel tank larger than 20 gallons. So you really are going to get about $1-$2 per refuel at the lowest rate, and $10-20 saved at the highest. 

Some purchases offer more points, some extracurricular things such as surveys offer points. This means the rate at which you earn points and at what cost to you the points are will fluctuate wildly, but only in greater value for the consumer. The problem then, lies in that some consumers will never utilize these fuel points if they get a better rate on gas elsewhere, coughcostcocough. 

The final note is the store itself and what you shop for to earn these points. Groceries/home goods/toys/healthcare/beauty supplies/jorts are all available in one store. 

Loyalty programs are weird, and there is also a dark side to tracking your purchases, your number, your address. 

With random accounts you could do it.

And It's not uncommon to have more than one account.

I put myself as example, I never wanted to create a dummy account to try games (common reason for many players to have an extra account) and then ps4 stablish that for mp you need an account per player, kaboom, I had to create 3 for the kiddy visitors. So, even when Sony tried to block people for that exploit (create many accounts) there were tons of users with more than one account already created.

• Like 1