The all new PlayStation Stars loyalty program (Stars are not NFTs)

The_Kopite

10 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

You need to register to participate (like in the previous rewards programs) or this is automatic once it launched?

I assume you will have to register, as they seem to be advertising it pretty hard with its own campaign - probably wouldn't bother as much if it were just auto-enrolled.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smashero said:

You can raise your status level by acquiring a certain number of trophies with a rarity higher than "normal" or by purchasing a certain number of full games from the PlayStation Store. See below for details.

level 1 When you join PlayStation Stars, you start from level 1. As you level up, new campaigns and rewards become available.
level 2 Buy 1 full game from the PlayStation Store and get 1 trophy with a rarity higher than "Normal".
level 3 Purchase 2 full games from the PlayStation Store and get 32 trophies of higher rarity than normal.
level 4 Purchase 4 full games from the PlayStation Store and get 128 trophies with a rarity higher than "normal".

"Full Game" means a paid digital game purchased and downloaded from the PlayStation Store and categorized as a "Retail Edition" or "Premium Edition" on the Game Page. Excludes free games, free trial versions of games, games for PlayStation Plus subscribers, demos, DLC, add-ons, and other purchases from the PlayStation Store. Bundles containing one or more games, or bundles containing games and upgrades, other versions, add-ons, DLC, avatars, and other items count as one "Full Game". Any other set that does not contain any games does not count as a "full game".

Trophies of a rarity higher than "Normal" are trophies that have a rarity of " Rare ", "Very Rare", or "Ultra Rare" when earned, and can be obtained from any game you own. Click here for details on trophy settings .

This is a real shame. I thought we’d be able to rise up by earning trophies, but having to buy games at rip off digital prices, as a physical game purchaser, just leaves me at level 1 constantly. Oh well.

Do you know how many points you get for trophies? Hoping I can accumulate enough in a year to keep my plus extra subscription running as that’s the only thing I ever buy from the store really.

Trophies seems the only way I might get a decent amount even if I did spend anyway. I mean, the only thing I’m tempted to buy digitally is The Kaito Files DLC for Lost Judgment, but at 4% cash back, at £25 that’s, what, over £600 I need to spend?

if physical doesn’t count would I even get anything when I buy PSVR2?

Edited by thefourfoldroot

3 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

Some games you can buy only as digital and 4 games for level 4 is not bad at all. As long as games on sale count.

Yeah, but I’d generally skip those games as they are insanely poor value compared to the hundreds of games I can pick up physically that I’ll never have the time to play anyway. Plus Extra has given me so many I want to get through. I’m not going to start buying games just to get levels that give me, at best (I’m guessing) slightly lower prices on games that are still 7 times more expensive than physical…

• Like 1

Initial impressions seem ok I guess. Will have to wait for it to release here before I get a better understanding but it seems like something worth signing up for even if you don't actively make the most out of it. At the very least I assume you will occur enough points to redeem for something even if it isn't anything spectacular. 

Is this every month you have to get back to level 4?

You have to buy four games which may or may not be an issue for some people but then you also have to complete the equivalent of two and a half games every month or start up and play a good chunk of like six. A non-issue for most of this site but I don't think most average consumers will care.

Sony will probably see the low user engagement with the program and just terminate peoples non-NFT NFT Bathing Ap- I mean Ape Escape collectibles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

Is this every month you have to get back to level 4?

You have to buy four games which may or may not be an issue for some people but then you also have to complete the equivalent of two and a half games every month or start up and play a good chunk of like six. A non-issue for most of this site but I don't think most average consumers will care.

Sony will probably see the low user engagement with the program and just terminate peoples non-NFT NFT Bathing Ap- I mean Ape Escape collectibles.

Your rank is reset yearly

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/28/playstation-stars-launches-in-asia-today-with-additional-markets-coming-soon/

Once you reach a status level, you will stay there for the remainder of the calendar year plus an additional 13 months. For example, if you earned status level 2 in October, your Level 2 status would remain valid through that calendar year, and continue for the next 13 months from January 1 of the next year, through January 31 of the following year.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yeah, but I’d generally skip those games as they are insanely poor value compared to the hundreds of games I can pick up physically that I’ll never have the time to play anyway. Plus Extra has given me so many I want to get through. I’m not going to start buying games just to get levels that give me, at best (I’m guessing) slightly lower prices on games that are still 7 times more expensive than physical…

7 times more expensive than physical? That surely is a bit exaggerated. Or are you saying you can get games like Kena for $3.5?

I don't really understand why people are complaining so much about it. "Once you reach a status level, you will stay there for the remainder of the calendar year plus an additional 13 months." You can stretch that timeframe to 2 years. That's 4 digital games in two years to keep the level 4.

Jim Ryan - Lets monetise customer service because that will improve our status to customers!

Fuck me, what will they pull next. Basically you have to spend 4 FULL PRICE games or earn 128 rare trophies to get customer service priority. So if your ps5 breaks, you get put to the back of the queue because you arent level 4. This is some total bullshit right here. I can see MS gaining customers if this continues. 

24 minutes ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Jim Ryan - Lets monetise customer service because that will improve our status to customers!

Fuck me, what will they pull next. Basically you have to spend 4 FULL PRICE games or earn 128 rare trophies to get customer service priority. So if your ps5 breaks, you get put to the back of the queue because you arent level 4. This is some total bullshit right here. I can see MS gaining customers if this continues. 

If your PS breaks, you should take it to the service/store you got it from. How is their support going to help you? And it's not like you won't be able to contact them, you might just need to wait a bit longer.

49 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

If your PS breaks, you should take it to the service/store you got it from. How is their support going to help you? And it's not like you won't be able to contact them, you might just need to wait a bit longer.

Sony are the ones who have to issue replacements not the store of purchase. The stores only have limited stock. 

=

18 minutes ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Sony are the ones who have to issue replacements not the store of purchase. The stores only have limited stock. 

Varies based on the country of purchase and warranty policy of the given country. If not the store, you contact directly Sony's service center. Taking it back to the store doesn't mean they will immediately replace it, that's not their job but they will send it to the Sony service center if you still have a warranty.

1 hour ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Fuck me, what will they pull next. Basically you have to spend 4 FULL PRICE games or earn 128 rare trophies to get customer service priority.

It's 4 full price games and 128 rare trophies for priority support.  From bad to worse

1 hour ago, theSpirae said:

And it's not like you won't be able to contact them, you might just need to wait a bit longer.

That is completely unacceptable and this will either be reversed or hidden from the tier rewards due to the (rightly so) massive backlash 

On 29/09/2022 at 6:39 AM, Mirrors1118 said:

My main account is HK and it's out for me. There is a digital display case now for these collectables. Currently if you buy certain games you earn extra points and you can use these points to exchange for digital collectables or games. I'm able to see my ps stars on the app but not on my console. You get 1 point for every 1 hkd you spend so it’s like a 4% cashback. For every 1000 hkd you spend you can redeem 40 hkd. So for the people who get digital games might wanna consider canceling preorders that you got on ps store and preorder them again after ps stars is out to earn extra points. I think the points expire in 2 years.

IMG_0111.png IMG_0109.png

Do you earn the points no matter what game you buy from the PlayStation Store? Or does it have to be what games Sony say?

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

3 hours ago, theSpirae said:

7 times more expensive than physical? That surely is a bit exaggerated. Or are you saying you can get games like Kena for $3.5?

I don't really understand why people are complaining so much about it. "Once you reach a status level, you will stay there for the remainder of the calendar year plus an additional 13 months." You can stretch that timeframe to 2 years. That's 4 digital games in two years to keep the level 4.

Fair enough, but I’ve bought maybe 10 digital games throughout the lifecycle of the ps3, ps4, and now ps5. Most of those VR games I couldn’t get otherwise, plus some older final fantasy games that are now on Extra so I regret getting as I only went back to one of them…live and learn.

anyway, don’t want to take this off topic, but I’ll say that, yes, if you get a game second hand and trade back you can get games 7 times cheaper. I used that number deliberately.

as it pertains to this topic - Sony really should allow people who buy physical games to move up the ranks. Not necessarily used games because that obviously wouldn’t work, but they could easily put a code in the game case that you can redeem. But of course they don’t want to because people pay far more digitally, and getting everyone to do so will kill the resale market.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

2 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Do you earn the points no matter what game you buy from the PlayStation Store? Or does it have to be what games Sony say?

yeah you earn points no matter what game you buy but there is an event currently if you buy one of the games on the list you get extra 50 points. 

15 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Do you know how many points you get for trophies? Hoping I can accumulate enough in a year to keep my plus extra subscription running as that’s the only thing I ever buy from the store really.

Trophies seems the only way I might get a decent amount even if I did spend anyway.

Nothing.

There are only 2 ways to earn points.

- Being a PS Plus subscriber and when you buy a game you get some points back.

- Completing a campaign that rewards points, right now there are 3 campaigns (last for 31 days) and only 1 offers 50 points as a reward (the other 2 give collectibles and not points)

did they ever start this. i totally forgot even about the old sony rewards site. i imagine the 300 games ive bought since the last i looked prob earned me 2 pts

well thats interesting i just logged into sony rewards and it gave me points for "linking account" so apprently i havent been earning points for nearly 2 years because it unlinked me. and its actually been taking away points for not using them lol.

Edited by melodicmizery

It's confirmed by dataminers that there is a Level 5 but it's actually hidden. It seems no amount of purchases/trophies puts you there, it's only by invitation.

Maybe something that was discarded, or something that's reserved for the future.

I also can confirm that playing PS3 games makes progress in the program. I unlocked two rare trophies there and they appeared on the app. There was a limited event which required you to play a PS4/PS5 game, and I also unlocked that reward only using the PS3.

I can't confirm anything about PSVita but it seems to be the same; the only thing you won't be able to do is looking at your collectibles from the PS3 since it's been a long time from the last update.

Edited by Jeanoltt

On 30/09/2022 at 11:27 PM, Vauxhart said:

Nothing.

There are only 2 ways to earn points.

- Being a PS Plus subscriber and when you buy a game you get some points back.

- Completing a campaign that rewards points, right now there are 3 campaigns (last for 31 days) and only 1 offers 50 points as a reward (the other 2 give collectibles and not points)

And I suppose the one giving 50 requires you to buy games?

On 9/30/2022 at 1:35 AM, thefourfoldroot said:

This is a real shame. I thought we’d be able to rise up by earning trophies, but having to buy games at rip off digital prices, as a physical game purchaser, just leaves me at level 1 constantly. Oh well.

Trophies seems the only way I might get a decent amount even if I did spend anyway. I mean, the only thing I’m tempted to buy digitally is The Kaito Files DLC for Lost Judgment, but at 4% cash back, at £25 that’s, what, over £600 I need to spend?

if physical doesn’t count would I even get anything when I buy PSVR2?

You don’t have to buy them at full price, though? I mean, there are good digital deals.

Edited by starcrunch061