Toni - 1 Sony - 0

tonkie18

Congratulations!  ? 

I am very much like you in that I don't like messing around with expensive electronics in the fear that I'll just make things worse, but the DualSense is incredibly easy to take apart and repair, or at least the trigger springs are. The R2 trigger went on my launch controller, the spring burst into bits. I bought a pack of 10 replacement springs for practically nothing and it took 5 minutes to install a new one and the controller was as good as new.

Dodgy springs were an issue on the launch controllers, although it wasn't that widespread from what I can tell. Subsequent controllers have been fine because they changed the spring that is used to a slightly stronger one. Haven't had any issues with my red and purple DualSense controllers. 

Yeah now I’m annoyed I’ve waited so long cause it was really easy and I shouldn’t have been scared. But as you say I didn’t want to make the problem worse. 

Years ago me and my daughter literally had no money, I couldn’t go to work because she has a rare stomach condition and needed support. So if anything broke we had no money to replace, so I learned to fix everything myself and quite enjoy doing it. There’s a satisfaction that cannot be had when you pay someone else to do it. 

But there’s something about anything with a battery or power source or wires that just scares the crap out of me. Even just taking the casing off freaks me out.. what if it won’t go back on?? My brother was taking apart toasters at 4 years old to understand how they worked ? but I can’t think of anything worse! he now has a business building computers.. usually I get him to fix my electrical issues but he lives miles away and I couldn’t wait any longer. 

Yeah I’ve read if the serial number ends in a ‘1’ it’s the crappy batch with crappy springs. All mine end in a 1 ? 

The springs were really cheap too so I’m glad I didn’t buy a whole new controller now. 

6 minutes ago, Messknecht said:

Nice! 

I have 2 controllers that need maintenance, can I send them to you? ?

Please do! I feel like I’m overly qualified in this area now.. I think I’d even be able to build one from scratch using an old PS4 controller and some white paint ?

• Like 3

I've been looking for this thread to say thank you for giving me the motivation to get on and do something similar with one of my ds4's, have been putting it off for ages but have just booted up with it and it all seems to be good, so thank you for giving me the faith to try!

Nice work! If you ever pickup another controller though just pay the in store warranty fee(doesnt void sony) but if anything goes wrong, up to a year, they replace and give you a new controller. Ive done it twice due to very minimal stick drift. 

As for R2 being a victim of maneater, yeah. Absolutely... I was scared playing it that the damn thing would snap but my sensative setting is mid. Helped a bit...

As for fixing toilets etc. my dad is a plumber and would go against DIY, but he's also been amazed when I took apart my entire sink and drain pipes to go into the wall pipes to get a necklace that fell down the drain and passed farther than it should have. Soooo congrats! A winner is you :gold:

Not related to controllers but you mentioned your dad it reminded me of my mom, I recently lost my mother to cancer and she used to teach me recipes and other household stuff, my husband handles the cooking part in our house since I'm worthless in the kitchen but yesterday I baked a cake and it didn't turn into a goeey disaster so that's a win, in fact it turned pretty decent, mom would be proud and so would your dad with your self sufficient achievements =)

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 4

@Infected Elite yeah I should have paid for some sort of cover on them. I have for the big tele and these are just as precious ! But I’m happy with the outcome, they’re as good as new now. I’ve had the settings off since day 1 cause I heard it wrecked the triggers and I find it really off putting as well. So I think they were just really flimsy. Hoping these springs are sturdier.

And well done you! It’s really satisfying when you do something yourself. Don’t think I’d trust myself to go into walls though ? also cause of possible creepy crawlies! Bugs and spiders is where I lose all my masculinity ?

@Sunnyburrito I’m really sorry to hear about your loss. It’s something you never get over. He’s still the first person I want to call when I get good/bad news or when I fix something. I used to call him when something broke and he wouldn’t fix it for me, he would teach me how. Which I’m so grateful for now. Your Mum would be so proud ☺️ And I bet it tasted lovely ? now I want cake ?

• Like 1

@yowzagabowza It’s been nice hearing about people’s accomplishments and it’s been nice sharing little things that have made me proud cause I don’t have anyone to share them with anymore really.. well no one who cares anyway ? I like your name ! 

@gazdavis11 you can totally do it! It cost me a 5er and it would have only been about 10 minutes worth of time if it wasn’t for my nails, it’s quite fiddly! We must remember that not only am I a Master Fixer now, but I was also the Master Breaker to begin with ? I can’t blame Maneater entirely. There was also the Sega Megadrive Classics incident where a controller may have been launched. I’m sure that didn’t help. So yeah not sure if you should trust me ?

Ummm Master Breaker sounds weird ?

13 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@yowzagabowza It’s been nice hearing about people’s accomplishments and it’s been nice sharing little things that have made me proud cause I don’t have anyone to share them with anymore really.. well no one who cares anyway ? I like your name ! 

@gazdavis11 you can totally do it! It cost me a 5er and it would have only been about 10 minutes worth of time if it wasn’t for my nails, it’s quite fiddly! We must remember that not only am I a Master Fixer now, but I was also the Master Breaker to begin with ? I can’t blame Maneater entirely. There was also the Sega Megadrive Classics incident where a controller may have been launched. I’m sure that didn’t help. So yeah not sure if you should trust me 1f648.png

Ummm Master Breaker sounds weird 1f633.png

? master Breaker hey? One slip of the tongue and we’d be on an entirely different topic of conversation!! 

good that you have kinda cancelled out your breaking skills with fixing ones. Sounds like you’ve levelled up! 

Yeah I could hear it when I read the message back ? not the best phrase but Master Demolisher doesn’t have the same ring I suppose. Sticking with it and owning it!

Had to change a fuse in the car today. Feelin like a qualified mechanic ?

Why does everything I own break ??‍♀️?

On 15/07/2022 at 1:36 PM, tonkie18 said:

I would usually share a proud moment like this with my Dad. But he isn’t here anymore, so I’m sharing it here instead.

Yeah, I know all too well what you're talking about.

I'm sure he's proud of your strenght and initiative.

Also pretty cool of you to share your positivity with the community.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 1

Thanks @LastMinuteSavior If you know you know. It’s like a really horrible club you join ? but it’s been nice hearing other people feel the same way.

Fixing a controller is such a non-thing for most people ? but it was an accomplishment for me and he would have said ‘that’s my lass’ or ‘well done Spu’ 

This club sucks and sorry there are so many others in it, but I’m glad I’m not alone ☺️ We can be proud of each other’s cakes or drains or spring replacements ?

• Like 2

Still on a fence to fix my analog sticks on DualSense, have two controllers with the same problem on left triggers. Changing spring doesn't look complicated, but analog sensors look so fragile on videos. I did changed them on DS4, but funny thing it stayed the same drifting on new sensor, no idea:).

Wow, I have to say I was not expecting all the love and positivity when I first pulled up this thread! It's quite refreshing to see ?

First of all Toni, congrats to you... That is quite the accomplishment!! I tried pulling one of mine apart years ago and... Let's just say it's no longer of this Earth ? I'm probably on my 10th DS4 controller at this point in the game ?

Speaking of, I have a basket of broken ones downstairs... I wonder how much it would be to ship them overseas and back??! Plus of course a tip for your efforts ??

@yowzagabowza I did the same thing ? then when the name change came along everyone was like you can’t change youre Tonkieeee.

@Bloodytears1666 Ah that’s a new one on me, I haven’t experienced any drift on my controllers - yet! But because I’m qualified now I’m sure I can resolve your issue. 

@Joe Dubz I feel like I should start a business. I could be like a little elf in a workshop. I’m sure a hammer and some coolant would fix them all. Coolant fixes everything! 

Whenever warning lights come on in my car I add coolant and TADA warning light gone. No matter what the issue ? I’m probably driving around with no engine, coolant is that magical ?

• Like 3

Congrats!! That's pretty cool that you managed to fix that succesfully :) 

And I think I understand you perfectly on both the fear of breaking something and making it worse and the satisfaction and pride you feel for yourself after fixing it, as I had to fix the hellish noise my ps3 slim was making once. I couldn't hear any dialogues or anything, it was SO loud. And I put off opening it for many months due to fear of breaking it, but carefully cleaning the dust was enough. Felt pretty good about myself that day. So yeah good job!