PS3 fails to connect to internet wirelessly

Xenoblast91

Hello everybody. I want to share problem that I've been experiencing with my PS3. Recently, my internet provider allowed me to have optic fiber and internet connection is astronomical and a dream to experience so far, and I'm satisfied with it. However, I can't make my PS3 able to connect it via wireless (I had my Ethernet cable plugged into PS4 for convenience), and every time I add the WPA/WPA-2 key the console can't just connect and causes trouble. The following message appears, and even I do some research there's no solution to my problem... So maybe this community can make its magic and help me with this. Thank you in advance.

My trouble is basically as the OP of that Reddit's, but in all honesty, there's no clear solution to what's going on. 

Edited by Xenoblast91

20 minutes ago, Xenoblast91 said:

Hello everybody. I want to share problem that I've been experiencing with my PS3. Recently, my internet provider allowed me to have optic fiber and internet connection is astronomical and a dream to experience so far, and I'm satisfied with it. However, I can't make my PS3 able to connect it via wireless (I had my Ethernet cable plugged into PS4 for convenience), and every time I add the WPA/WPA-2 key the console can't just connect and causes trouble. The following message appears, and even I do some research there's no solution to my problem... So maybe this community can make its magic and help me with this. Thank you in advance.

My trouble is basically as the OP of that Reddit's, but in all honesty, there's no clear solution to what's going on. 

Is your modem dual band? If it doesn't support 2.4ghz you won't be able to connect

30 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Is your modem dual band? If it doesn't support 2.4ghz you won't be able to connect

I don't even think OP would be seeing the SSID if it was a 5ghz. It seems like it's the security method of your Wi-Fi connection. So you should check 2 things:

1. On the PS3, after you select the SSID, it will ask you what security type to use (None, WEP, or WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK). Make sure you select WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

2. On your modem, make sure your security method is set to WPA2-PSK (If it's set to WEP2, this may be why you can't connect). To log into your router and check this, you can type your internal IP address into a browser (usually 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1). You'll need to know the username/password for your modem to log in. Then it should be under Wi-Fi setings somewhere (varies from model to model).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheRedMaverick said:

I don't even think OP would be seeing the SSID if it was a 5ghz. It seems like it's the security method of your Wi-Fi connection. So you should check 2 things:

1. On the PS3, after you select the SSID, it will ask you what security type to use (None, WEP, or WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK). Make sure you select WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

2. On your modem, make sure your security method is set to WPA2-PSK (If it's set to WEP2, this may be why you can't connect). To log into your router and check this, you can type your internal IP address into a browser (usually 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1). You'll need to know the username/password for your modem to log in. Then it should be under Wi-Fi setings somewhere (varies from model to model).

Thanks. Yes, the modem has a sticker in the front which details all the info including the key and the type of it, which is WPA. I double, triple-checked the key using literally a picture I took with the phone and making sure I did write it on PS3 settings. The message pops out. Apparently, a YouTuber just mentions to toggle on/off some kind of option in the menus, but no results. 

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

I had issues connecting with my PS3...changed the DNS, no issues since. Not sure if that'll do any good, though. 

Could you be more specific? Like step-by-step, please. Really weird that message pop-up since previously hadn't any issue with my previous modem. 

2 hours ago, zizimonster said:

OP @Xenoblast91 should try an open network (a Wi-Fi with no password or security settings) first, or a guest network if you know how to set it up. Then, you can start working the problem until you find an elegant solution. Good luck!

Maybe my phone? You know, you can use yours like a modem and transmit mobile data, but not sure what could be looking for. Or well, I can open up my modem for a brief time but I feel like risking my own network. Not sure what can I do, honestly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xenoblast91 said:

Maybe my phone? You know, you can use yours like a modem and transmit mobile data, but not sure what could be looking for. Or well, I can open up my modem for a brief time but I feel like risking my own network. Not sure what can I do, honestly. 

You could use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot as well and see if the PS3 is able to connect to it.

What I'm trying to tell is, any Wi-Fi router can be set up as an open network but it's risky. I just want you to try that and see if that works. :)

• Like 1

UPDATE: Given the ridiculous amount of time I spent looking on other places to how to address the issue, I managed to find my solution. An obscure comment on Reddit made it all, so I'll gonna leave it in questions and the original post for everyone to see the whole discussion there: 

u/one21gigawatts:

If you turn on your hotspot on your phone, does your PS3 pick it up?

You may need to disable the 802.11n in your router settings. The PS3 only supports 802.11b and 802.11g, so if you have a newer router, you may have to fiddle with that. Worth a shot, I suppose.

Alternatively, the Wi-Fi antennae inside might have gotten friend somehow.

And that was correct! I navigated through my router menus looking and toggle on/off on everything I could until finding this option. And voilà! I leave it on 802.11b, and it managed to connect at least. While the PS3 has a very slow Mbps down/upload frequency, I think that this can make the job for a while, though.

Thank you, everyone who gave me a hand in trying to solve this annoyance. :) 

• Like 4