Games with awesome music?

tonkie18

I think the Evil Within is the first game I’ve actually loved the music and although ‘Clair De Lune’ is played constantly throughout I still haven’t got bored of hearing it! It’s definitely made the game for me.

I play the piano and love playing this piece, I think everytime I play it now I’ll be thinking of Keepers and Laura ? so may not be as peaceful as it once was.

Ive not experienced many games yet, but what games have you played that have had an awesome soundtrack? You get extra brownie points for rock music ??

• Like 3

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (rock), Sayonara Wild Hearts (game's essentially a pop album), Hotline Miami 1+2 (synth), Ghostrunner (more synth), Coffee Talk (lo-fi jazz), generally Fromsoft games (Demon's Souls and Bloodborne especially), Nioh, Code Vein, Sexy Brutale (electro swing).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shadowlord87 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy was one that stood out for me, lots of 80's awesomeness includeed :)

oh I’m definitely gonna have to try this one. I live in the 80’s. Don’t make them like that anymore! 

9 minutes ago, NicWarren said:

Sound Shapes and Sayonara Wild Hearts you definitely have to check out

I have soundscapes on my vita, but maybe I haven’t got far enough yet to really enjoy it? 

Thanks for the suggestions I’m gonna have to read up on these games now and see if any take my fancy ❤️

Life is Strange has an amazing indie rock soundtrack, as does Loud on Planet X (which is actually a rhythm game). The Artful Escape has a great mixture of folk and glam-ish rock, and music is also central to the story.

Some of my favourites soundtracks are:

A Plague's Tale

Everybody's Going to the Rapture

Golf Club Wasteland

Hohokum

Hollow Knight   
Journey

Kentucky Route Zero
Lichtspeer

Limbo

Mutazione

Puss

Sayonara Wild Hearts
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Small Radios Big Televisions

Spiritfarer

... and probably many more I'm forgetting!

Edited by visighost
  • Like 1

@Raveniteh I couldn’t get past the first part of Bloodborne ? I might have to give it another shot and you’ve just reminded me I started Hotline Miami but haven’t finished it! Will have to Google the others as I’ve not heard of them. 

@visighost life is strange is on my backlog, I can’t remember why I stopped playing but this gives me more incentive to pick it back up. I keep seeing good things about Plague Tale, I’m gonna check that one out I think. And I’ll have to Google the others and put some on my wishlist. 

@DrBloodmoney I keep seeing this ‘Nier’ around, I’m gonna read up on it now because it seems quite popular? 

@Copanele I have a trilogy of devil may cry games I think. Do all of them have decent music?

Cant believe how many that have been posted so far ? will keep me busy for years. Definitely going to revisit this thread when choosing a new game. I’m so guilty of sticking to the same old things. 

@Infected Elite I have some persona games as everyone raves about them.. but I’ve since read they’re an RPG which I haven’t got on well with in the past. Which is a shame because I would love to get into series like Final Fantasy etc. I tend to like full on gun blazing combat where you’re in control of the character and struggle with the politeness involved of an RPG. ‘Would you like to prod your opponent or blow on them gently?’ Ok that might be me being really ignorant because I haven’t really experienced them, but that’s where I tend to give up on those games. Sorry if I’m explaining this really badly - I’m not very adept with gaming terminology. 

But as a side note - if anyone has any tips on how to approach RPG’s and which ones would grip me I’m also open to any advice in that area ☺️

• Like 1

Just now, tonkie18 said:

@visighost life is strange is on my backlog, I can’t remember why I stopped playing but this gives me more incentive to pick it back up. I keep seeing good things about Plague Tale, I’m gonna check that one out I think. And I’ll have to Google the others and put some on my wishlist.

The Foals' Spanish Sahara is probably the single best use of licensed music in a game I've ever seen. Listening to it makes me tear up to this day due to the game's context.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@Raveniteh I couldn’t get past the first part of Bloodborne ? I might have to give it another shot and you’ve just reminded me I started Hotline Miami but haven’t finished it! Will have to Google the others as I’ve not heard of them. 

@DrBloodmoney I keep seeing this ‘Nier’ around, I’m gonna read up on it now because it seems quite popular? 

@Copanele 

@Infected Elite I have some persona games as everyone raves about them.. but I’ve since read they’re an RPG which I haven’t got on well with in the past. Which is a shame because I would love to get into series like Final Fantasy etc. I tend to like full on gun blazing combat where you’re in control of the character and struggle with the politeness involved of an RPG. ‘Would you like to prod your opponent or blow on them gently?’ Ok that might be me being really ignorant because I haven’t really experienced them, but that’s where I tend to give up on those games. Sorry if I’m explaining this really badly - I’m not very adept with gaming terminology. 

But as a side note - if anyone has any tips on how to approach RPG’s and which ones would grip me I’m also open to any advice in that area 263a.png

Approach RPG as simply as starting Persona 5 or 5 Royal... use a guide for a bit to get a feel of the city and just fall in love with the world.

OR for more action based RPG, Nier Automata.

What are at least 10 games you have to play?

a list may help us help you with decision making 

2 minutes ago, visighost said:

The Foals' Spanish Sahara is probably the single best use of licensed music in a game I've ever seen. Listening to it makes me tear up to this day due to the game's context.

Man - that song. ?

I remember it being super effective at making me emotional in Life is Strange the first time round...

...then like 5 years later it randomly came on during shuffle mode while I was driving my cat to the emergency vet at 2am after he had a seizure, and I think he actually died while it was playing.

It freakin' killed me when I played the remaster ?

I do also think the use of Bros by Wolf Alice in Before the Storm manages to be as effective in terms of game usage too though - the lyrics of that, knowing what is going to happen in the future to the girls is kinda F*ed up!

• Like 1

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy (but not Definitive Edition, some songs are erased because of copyright claims). 

Radio stations are the main reason I am a metalhead, and music interest as well:

V-Rock, Wildstyle, Flash FM in Vice City
K-Rose, K-DST, Radio Los Santos, Radio X in San Andreas.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@StygianWolf4 ok I think I’m gonna have to pick this series back up next as a few have said it now. I did start the first one and keep meaning to finish it. I just looked on PlayStation store and there’s so many chapters. Are they add ons to the main game? Bit confused. 

The games are episodic, so you'll need to install each chapter to play the whole game. If you've purchased them already, then it'll be available to you to download again. 

All the games seem to be like that though. 

I think I have life is strange 1 and 2. Does that mean I have all the chapters? I’m sure it will become clear when I play. Just not sure when I’ll get to actually start it (depends on these last few chapters of evil within) and if anything goes on sale in that series that I need I’d like to pick it up in the meantime. Definitely sold me on this guys, I love getting the feels ❤️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I think I have life is strange 1 and 2. Does that mean I have all the chapters? I’m sure it will become clear when I play. Just not sure when I’ll get to actually start it (depends on these last few chapters of evil within) and if anything goes on sale in that series that I need I’d like to pick it up in the meantime. Definitely sold me on this guys, I love getting the feels 2764.png

The chronological order of release is:

Life is Strange

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Life is Strange 2

Life is Strange: True Colours

Before the Storm takes place before Life is Strange, but it is designed as a dramatically ironic prequel - it requires knowledge of the first game - so that one should be played after Life is Strange, for sure.

That's the only really impactful one that needs to be played in order though.

True Colours has some very loose connections to Life is Strange and Before the Storm, but neither is material enough to make a big difference (it's mostly tie-ins to Before the Storm, and only really of material impact to the True Colours DLC - Wavelengths)

Life is Strange 2 is mostly completely separate - it has some tie-ins to Life is Strange, but they are relatively minimal, and not required knowledge - they would work fine without knowing the background.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...then like 5 years later it randomly came on during shuffle mode while I was driving my cat to the emergency vet at 2am after he had a seizure, and I think he actually died while it was playing.

It freakin' killed me when I played the remaster 1f61e.png

Man, that must have been devastating, so sorry to hear...

• Like 1