Games with awesome music?

tonkie18

I think JRPGs have amazing music. 

FFX and X-2: To Zanarkand, Besaid island, the battle themes in both games, memories of eternal waves and light, Yuna's ballad, 1000 words, suteki da ne

FFXIII series- Sunleth waterscape, blinded by light, lightning's theme, paradigm shift, paradox, archylte steppe, plains of eternity, hopes theme, eternal love

FFXII TZA- I liked a lot of the field and town music, especially Lowtown in Rabanastre 

Persona 4 golden: Almost all the tracks, I especially like Heartbeat heartbreak, your affection, signs of love, backside of the tv, pursuing your true self in the dancing game

Persona 5 Royal- All tracks, especially take over, last surprise, price, whims of fate, true colours, believe, willpower, butterfly kiss.... 

Kingdom Hearts series- passion, simple and clean/hikari, traverse town, twilight town, face my fears

Nier Automata

Persona 3- burn my dread, changing seasons

• Like 2

I agree with GTA VC and SA.  As far as pure amazement, Tim Follin's work on the NES always stands out.  This guy was a one man band with just an 8 bit soundboard.  Extremely talented.

Also, one of my favorites was MLB the Show 21 because they let you upload your own music to the game.  Still laugh when they do their pre-game intro with the reporter in the dugout and you can hear Bolt Thrower or Dying Fetus being blasted from the stadium speakers. 

Any Falcom game. JDK's soundtracks range from very good to flat out great.

Zed Blade is one of the best Neo-Geo STs. The game's graphics are not the most spectacular, but the BGM is an 11/10 thanks to Manabu Namiki. One of the riffs from the last boss theme is revisited in Battle Garegga.

For beat'em ups, Final Vendetta and Streets of Rage 4 are some recent gems. While SoR 4 isn't strictly Yuzo Koshiro's work, he is accompanied by several other great composers.

My favorite FPS soundtrack would be Hard Reset Redux. Doom Eternal's is good, but HR comes in slightly above it for me. This one has techno-metal similar to some of Tekken's BGM. If there's a HR2, Flying Wild Hog should offer HR's composer Wojciech Blazejczyk first dibs on it.

Mafia III. The opening game movie has Hendrix' Voodoo Chile and it just gets better from there. You don't have to be from the 60's to know that this soundtrack is bloody awesome.

GTA Vice City. Possibly the best (imo) soundtrack ever, with a mix of all types, all 80's!. Throw in THOR and Maurice Chavez and you've got soundtrack gold....if Carlsberg did soundtracks....

Resident Evil. I think I'm right in saying that Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata plays in one of the rooms where you solve a puzzle. Back in the day (ps1) when I first heard this, it sent shivers down my spine. It's one of my favourite classical pieces now, and I wouldn't of known about it (possibly) if it wasn't for gaming.

some of the old fifas had decent music, also I used to listen out to one specific song when I platted dirt 5 earlier on in the year (was by the killers) that song always got me pumped when I was driving

the best ever video game song was ace of spades from tony hawks :) shame it wasn't in the remake

• 2 weeks later...

Nier: Automata and Guardians of the Galaxy are two recent ones where I got lost in their music while I played. 

Nier literally compliments everything that you do. The music swells and changes based on how bombastic your current surroundings are. While Guardians literally found a way to create 80's hair metal tracks with modern artists....which only tells me 80's hair metal has no business being dead and can still exist today. 

Edited by Viper

On 8/5/2022 at 10:20 AM, Viper said:

Nier: Automata and Guardians of the Galaxy are two recent ones where I got lost in their music while I played. 

Nier literally compliments everything that you do. The music swells and changes based on how bombastic your current surroundings are. While Guardians literally found a way to create 80's hair metal tracks with modern artists....which only tells me 80's hair metal has no business being dead and can still exist today. 

Hair metal never died, it just evolved into power metal which the only reason it never took of in the us is because mtv wasn't pushing it like they did grunge and nu-metal. As for games with awesome music klonoa(especially lunateas veil), yakuza, megaman, gunvolt, sonic, and especially falcom games are the goat soundtracks.

• 1 year later...

Have hopped into the Final Fantasy franchise a year ago, and I get it, the music is fanastic. I quite enjoyed the battle ones in Remake, XV, 1-6, some of 7's OG and 9. Sometimes in 7 and 10 there is a part of the music that gets a bit too loud for me I guess? I don't know how to really explain it, just listening it too long can get annoying (Mostly if I am following a video guide for trophies, so I am just sitting in the same spot for 5 minutes)