Any Deaf Gamers?

amurnin100

**This is not a sympathy post**

I’ve worn hearing aids since 1, and today I was told my hearing will decline as I get older. Listening to the game is a vital part of gaming and losing the ability to hear really makes me  worry if I need to adapt or retire from gaming, just looking for advise out there :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your hearing.

Many years ago, I used to know a guy from a different forum who was deaf who I had spoken with for years, and did not even realise he was deaf until I met him at a party in real life one day.

There's plenty of games you can enjoy without being able to hear, even more so than ever.

I doubt you'd need to retire from gaming, of course you won't be able to play certain games that rely on audio as easily anymore. A lot of games don't have good OST these days, and for me personally there's quite a few games especially with grinding involved where I don't even have the audio on anymore, I'm usually listening to youtube or listening to something else, so maybe even if you can't hear the game, you might not be missing all that much.

On a sort of bright side, at least you're losing your hearing and not your eye sight. That would have been worse, and arguably you probably would have to retire from gaming if that was the case.

Stay positive mate! ?

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

I’ve worn hearing aids since 1, and today I was told my hearing will decline as I get older. Listening to the game is a vital part of gaming and losing the ability to hear really makes me  worry if I need to adapt or retire from gaming, just looking for advise out there :)

friend of mine

@lisa92izi

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Sorry to hear about your hearing.

Many years ago, I used to know a guy from a different forum who was deaf who I had spoken with for years, and did not even realise he was deaf until I met him at a party in real life one day.

There's plenty of games you can enjoy without being able to hear, even more so than ever.

I doubt you'd need to retire from gaming, of course you won't be able to play certain games that rely on audio as easily anymore. A lot of games don't have good OST these days, and for me personally there's quite a few games especially with grinding involved where I don't even have the audio on anymore, I'm usually listening to youtube or listening to something else, so maybe even if you can't hear the game, you might not be missing all that much.

On a sort of bright side, at least you're losing your hearing and not your eye sight. That would have been worse, and arguably you probably would have to retire from gaming if that was the case.

Stay positive mate! 1f603.png

Thanks mate, I am thankful the sight makes up for the hearing, that I don’t think I could cope with ….

• Like 1

It's not you that has to adapt, it's the gaming industry that needs to adapt to cater to their audience. 

Luckily a lot of developers have started adding accessibility features to their games. Ubisoft and Microsoft's studios for example routinely implement various features to help players that are deaf or hard of hearing (audio captioning for example). Accessibility features are adopted more widely all the time as awareness increases. So things are looking good on that front!

• Like 2

On 19/07/2022 at 8:13 AM, amurnin100 said:

Please don't retire. The more voices out there like yours, the more the developer world hopefully sees that there are other groups of people who want to (and should be able to) enjoy games as much as others already do. I wish I had something I could suggest but I really do hope that there are at least some games out there already that are accessible for you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, black__bunny said:

Please don't retire. The more voices out there like yours, the more the developer world hopefully sees that there are other groups of people who want to (and should be able to) enjoy games as much as others already do. I wish I had something I could suggest but I really do hope that there are at least some games out there already that are accessible for you.

Thank you @black__bunny ❤️