Resident Evil Series: What is the Platinum Journey Like?

kkulifay

Naive question, I know,  but what is the platinum journey like for RE2 - the most current title in the series? I’ve never played one surprisingly. 

From perusing the excellent game guides on this site, they seem repetitive with all the various play throughs. Is it fulfilling at least? Or a burn out?

For the completionist, how are they to 100% with the DLC? Interested in hearing about your experiences since the series is getting a nice facelift for the PS5. Plus, they’ve been on sale a lot lately. Thanks in advance for your response! 

Despite the number of play-throughs on most of the games they are usually not very long. The replays are fairly quick so do not let that dissuade you.

5-6 are probably the worst to 100% do to all the multiplayer stuff they added to those 2 games. 4 Has the Mercenaries (is that the mode in 4 I cannot remember) type mode that can be pretty tough as well. Code Veronica's Challenge mode can be pretty tough as well.

I do not know anything about the 1st person games though so I cannot comment on them. 

Also some of the replay are different modes that change things up a bit, like Invisible enemies.

My thoughts on the series

Me personally I love the Originals (1-3 & CVX), the Remake of 1 and the Revelations games. I still have a tough time seeing 4 as a Resident Evil and not just a random spin-off.

5 and 6 felt like they were going more for the Call of Duty crowd and failed. 4 and 5 are not too bad 6 is mediocre. 

The 2 Re-Imaginings are also mediocre at their best outside of graphics when compared to their originals. When not compared to the originals they are pretty good games. 

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

There really not too bad in the long run the harder ones for most will be the few that are old and have tank controls and a camera that's more of an enemy than the monsters which are 0,1 and code Veronica

2 and 3 remakes aren't hard at all really especially with infinite ammo for the hard modes the biggest pain will be no healing and no item box,

4 can be either easy or rough depending on your shooter skills.

5 is not bad at all but it has mercenaries which requires other people which always adds issues.

6 not bad at all even the online bits aren't too bad.

7 can definitely be rough in some parts and parts of the dlc is just stupidly hard but once you figure out the current trick they be one easy

I haven't played village yet so can't comment

Now revelations 1 is hard like extremely hard to play

Revelations 2 is an easy plat 

And then theirs the on rails games and mmo which most people just skip over there not really cannon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kkulifay said:

Naive question, I know,  but what is the platinum journey like for RE2 - the most current title in the series? I’ve never played one surprisingly. 

From perusing the excellent game guides on this site, they seem repetitive with all the various play throughs. Is it fulfilling at least? Or a burn out?

For the completionist, how are they to 100% with the DLC? Interested in hearing about your experiences since the series is getting a nice facelift for the PS5. Plus, they’ve been on sale a lot lately. Thanks in advance for your response! 

Well I feel I know a lot about the Re games and just off the bat if your going for just plat it is fairly easy for most of the games. A lot of them need a second or 3rd run of the game but it is fairly easy after that. However to 100% all of them will be hard as games such as the Rail shooter ones like darkside and umbrella chronicles can be hard mostly due to needing to replay a lot of the levels and get every enemy spawn down to memory. Re 0, Code Veronica, op raccoon city, revelations 1 and 2, 5, 6, 7, resistance and umbrella corps are going to be pains in the ass to 100% due to the fact of online needed to be done for, 5, 6, op racoony city, revelations 1 and 2 and resistance and umbrella corps. But I will pretty much break it down into top tier list of what I feel is easy hard and so on.

If you wanted to start with the easy/ normal to run through RE games I would list it like this and keep in mind that this list is for plat only not 100%.

RE 2Remake (The game can be abit hard but if your lazy you can just buy the unlock everything dlc to make this a cake walk. However, this will be abit of a easy game either way as long as you keep in mind the layout of the map and save knifes and so on you will be fine even without the unlockable rockets and mini gun)

RE 3Remake (Just like 2remake you can easily beat this with unlock everything dlc but if you just make your first playthroughs learning where to go and where some key weapons and items are you can beat this easily plus this is the shortest RE game if you ask me to speedrun clocking in around an hour to beat if you know what your doing)

RE 8  (It is a fairly easy FPS RE game as like all RE games you need to learn the layout of the world and where to go for speedruning and so on it is abit of a joke if you unlock the tactical knife for the knife only run along with playing it on new game plus on easy mode and using the 44mag with unlimited ammo on the village of shadow mode. The only real hard part I feel is the boss fight with Heisenberg)

RE7 (Much easier I feel this one is due to the fact you can for just beating the game unlock the wesker handgun and that gun makes the game a lot easier and is the only handgun you really need for a run along with the repairable shotgun. The only real challenge here is both the opening the box 3 times only run and the madhouse mode as it changes all the placements of key items and normal items)

RE5 (This one is fairly easy I feel due to the fact much like the later games it lets you have unlimited ammo for a lot of weapons you unlock the best thing to go for is getting the rocket launcher unlimited as the first major weapon unlock for yourself then go for professional mode. The only trophies that can be hard is pro mode only due to 3 parts. the fight with the giant boss on the back of a car as you can't really use your own weapons as your on a mounted gun. The other hard one I feel is getting all the weapons maxed out as it is abit of a grind but if your not wanting to do a grind you could easily do a co op dup glitch with your buddies that let you take the fully upgraded weapons your mates has for yourself)

RE6 (This game is one of I feel the more easy to plat RE games due to the fact you pretty much just beat the game on normal or easy then for the hard mode you just skip to the end of each chapters and finish it on hard mode so you basically skip a lot of the work of hard mode making it much easier plus you can use skills in the normal hard mode than in the no hope mode)

The list for hard to plat RE games are listed in no real order as.

RE 0 (Due to Leach hunter mode and because there is no inventory boxes and having to backtrack for everything so it makes the speedrun abit more annoying for this one and hard mode is real kick in the head due to the fact of the monkey enemies and leach enemies)

RE Code Veronica X (Due to time attack mode that is kind of fucked up for people who live in the eu as that one of Code x is slower compared to the us one so you have to get a north America one to make it abit easier and the main problem with Code X if you ask me is the fight with the Tyrant in the plane as in any of the modes that fight basically eats up your ammo like nothing it is super unbalanced the game)

RE Revelations 1 (You have to do raid mode with co op to even just plat the game and not only that the harder modes makes all the infected in the game tanker to shit and you basically have to run for most of it and it is not a real problem till it makes you have to defend or kill a boss along with a moment where you are timed and have to run past everything to get to the end. Overall I feel Revelations 1 is very hard even in normal mode due to bullet sponge enemies)

RE 1Remake (Invisable zombie mode makes this somewhat hard I feel this game is a mix of hard and normal if your used to it but it is mostly up in the air I feel the invisible zombie mode will be hard mostly for the bosses however you can cheat it if you make sure you don't get the exploding zombie to show up in that run. But, what makes it really hard I feel is the knife only run of the game)

RE Revelations 2 (Like with RE1 you have to deal with invisible zombie mode and you have to deal with Time attack mode too and none of the unlockables will help much in this mode other than the bow gun)

Umbrella Corps (mostly due to the fact that this game is an online based game with a side single player mode this game is hard to just plat for that reason alone and plus the side single player mode needs you to be perfect or you won't get the perfect rank needed for the trophy for all S/star ranks)

RE Resistance (Just like UC this is online RE game but unlike UC this has no side single player mode just full on grinding for levels and wins and getting things to happen to get the trophies to pop it will be a big grind for this one and is hard in my eyes hard to plat)

RE OP Racoon City (This one has online trophies to worry about but what makes this worse I feel is mostly the grind for all the characters to max out levels and getting all the weapons and the S+ ranks on all missions as you can't just play easy mode for S+ ranks it has to be on either Vet mode or Pro mode it is a pain due to having to deal with collectables, zombie kills and not missing your hits much and not dying for this. The only saving grace in this regard is playing with a friend can split the needed things for the S+ rank but still will be very hard)

The last list here is pretty much the hard 100% RE games as there is only afew that has dlc a few of the games is just a small trophy list with no plat at all like RE4 for example.

RE 5 (Problem here is the mostly the dlc related trophies makes you do a lot of merc mode and they are very grindy and can take along time and not only that the single player parts of the dlc can be somewhat harder too with just yourself)

RE 6 (Much like 5 RE 6 has dlc that is pretty much merc mode but a lot more grindier I feel than 5s as it makes you have to kill x amount of player controlled enemies and so on and the only really new thing in this games online is being a invader of sorts to players in the game and that is as grindy as the normal merc mode trophies)

RE 7 (Main reasons for this being a hard to 100% game is due to the fact of Ethan must die mode and the other from the dlc that being 21+, Ethan must die is kind of a rogue like mode where you go from point a to b to kill one of the bosses with whatever gear you get from the breakable boxes and if you die you lose it all and leave behind a statue you must break to get a single item from what you had before. The other mode being 21 is basically blackjack and to get the trophy for beating 21+ you need to beat 10 people in blackjack and the problem is each one you beat gets harder and harder while the last one can pretty much end your run very fast. This mode I feel is the make or break as it is luck based on what cards you get and what trump cards you get and so on to mess over the other guy.)

RE Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles (What makes both of theres hard is I feel is the collectables you need and having to remember all the attacks of bosses and all spawn points of enemies in levels to get the best score and so on. Not only that the hidden modes they both have ??? for Umbrella and tofu mode for Darkside can be very hard and you have to have fast reaction speed for both of them modes as headshots is the only way to kill the zombies in ??? while you need to go for legs and the rest of the body for tofu mode. The only reason I would say it is hard is mainly them modes and you need good reaction speed for the rail shooter re games)

And that is well my somewhat breakdown of all the RE games. I know I missed out RE4 but the problem with RE4 is that it is in my eyes the only game of the series that can be easily either easy or normal or hard it is balanced in a way plus once you do all the other trophies and just get gangest outfit for leon your pro mode  will be very easy to go through as you can use Ashley as bait for enemies so you save yourself ammo by using your knife to deal with enemies.

Hope all this info kind of helps you out sorry if any of it confused you but yeah.

Edited by Lonemankane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

There really not too bad in the long run the harder ones for most will be the few that are old and have tank controls and a camera that's more of an enemy than the monsters which are 0,1 and code Veronica

I agree that the camera angles in the older titles can be a real pain, but the Origin Collection (1 + 0) features a "modern" control scheme. You don't have to play with tank controls, if you don't want to.

Yes, you have to play through each game between 2-6 times, but you unlock rewards like rocket launcher, magnum, infinite ammo, etc. with each playthrough. The rewards make each subsequent playthrough easier, quicker and add something new to the gameplay formula. So they are usually not as boring as they may seem.

Most games have at least one if not many "extra modes" tacked on the main game and they are usually necessary for the plat / 100%. Some of them turned out to be fun additions, but they also can be a real slog, if you don't like them (No Way Out, Mercenaries, Leech Hunter, ...).

Overall i'd say go for out. It's a really cool franchise with a long history, ups and downs, some challenge and a confusing but entertaining story.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kkulifay said:

i haven't plat any one of them yet but on my radar is number 7 and revelations 2 - which is co-op also if u wanna play sometime :)

• Like 1

I'm planning on working my way through the series too, so I can't speak on most, but I just finished the first Resident Evil's platinum and it wasn't that bad at all, really fun actually. I went from being nervous about trying this again, as I could never get used to the controls in the past, to finding the game pretty addictive. It can be daunting to look at the guide and see that it requires 5-6 playthrough a minimum, however, each playthrough usually gets faster due to familiarity. For instance, I went from doing my first playthrough where I had to play in chunks of a couple hours and it took me around 7-8 hours to doing a whole playthrough in one sitting which would take somewhere from 3-4 hours. While the tank controls can be tough to get used to, I recommend going with them, as it's the way the game was designed to be played, plus once you do get used to them I think it's easier to control than the modern controls, as those 'reset' with each camera change which can be quite annoying. It's hard to describe but if you play it you'll get what I mean. I did my first playthrough with modern, and my second, which was a Speedrun, with tank controls. I did this as there's a Speedrun tactic that requires tank controls, and in my next three playthroughs I stuck with the tank controls as I really started to enjoy them, which was nice since that's what kept me from getting into this game before in the first place. Anyways, to sum up, while the game may require many playthroughs, a lot can be done quite fast as you get more familiar with the game. Give the game a bit of time, get used to the controls, and I think you'll also enjoy it. It's been praised for years and it definitely is deserving of all the acclaim.

• Like 1

I’ve platinum’d every numbered entry so here’s my thoughts:

Overall a great series to hunt because the fun:difficulty ratio is great. Very fun, not super difficult.

Trophies to watch out for:

Resident Evil 0: Leech Hunter mode

Resident Evil 1: No Save run

Resident Evil 4 & 5: Professional mode

Resident Evil 7: Madhouse difficulty 

Resident Evil Village: Mercenaries

Good luck!

• Like 1