Trophy Thoughts

I didn't even know this was releasing on playstation, so that's a nice surprise. I beat the mode this is based off on V3 back when that came out, it wasn't too bad. It will take a while to do stuff with all the characters but luckily you only need to do that character once regardless of their rarity.

• Like 1

While I love the Danganronpa franchise, the board game mode from V3 was an absolute pain and boring. My question is, the "Battle Mode" mentioned in the trophies is the same as the Despair Dungeon from V3 right? If so, I will most likely be passing this game as I like the murder mystery aspect of the franchise and not this. I may have been inclined to play it if it was a dating sim instead.

Edited by TalesofGaming
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

Sounds downright henious. I played it for like an hour on Switch and was never motivated to touch it again.

But Danganronpa being my favorite game franchise (and despite this being a spin-off with no meaningful connection to the series other than the names and images)... I'm going to play this and, unfortunately, aim for the plat. 

Why am I the way that I am

Don’t be afraid, sooner or later I’ll follow you into the dark ? we will be the only owners of this game!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

(Post)

Thanks for your take.

As a big fan of DR who was mostly expecting some fun interactions/events out of this, the points about the writing are the most damning. The board game in V3 wasn't exactly riveting, but I could deal with it here if the reward was at least some decent character moments. If it fails even at that level, then those 20€ of mine are probably better spent elsewhere.

On a different note, it seems the game's available for purchase on the PS store as of right now (EU at least), for those who want it.

Edited by Umdytr
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Trophy list looks insanely grindy, like - expect 100-200+ hours of your time being sunk into this grindy. I played this for a bit on the Switch not too long ago, and it was honestly really disappointing. The battle tower is just waves of enemies, no exploring an environment like in the mode this game is based off in V3. The odds of getting new character cards aren't the best, and there's microtransactions (which never worked in the European Switch version anyway, and they never even bothered to fix it) to tempt you into handing over real money for a better chance at the rarer cards.

The character interactions are often... Weird. They often act out of character, and there's some inconsistencies with what they'll say in one skit, compared to another. It doesn't feel like the writers knew the characters very well. On top of this, the interactions tend to just be downright boring. If you've ever played any other spin-off for a beloved Japanese game series, like the Persona spin-offs, Yakuza Dead Souls or any visual novel that has one of those dating spin-offs or the like (like Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace), you may find yourself enjoying the scenarios the characters find themselves in, that they otherwise wouldn't in canon - such as characters that wouldn't ever meet otherwise because they're from different games/universes, or characters you wouldn't normally see in certain situations. I thought Danganronpa S would be like those but... No such luck.

The actual board game, which is the majority of what you'll be doing, is of course, based on luck. There were a few times I got extremely lucky and got a very well developed character, then I play with a Goddamn S rank card and everything seems to go against me and I end up with a mediocre character for the tower. It's designed to be run through over and over and over, even for cards/characters you've already developed. It's a time sink in its ultimate form, and I didn't even end up having much fun along the way, it just felt like a glorified mobile game.

Anyhow, that's my rant on this. Either way, I have a feeling this is going to be a rare plat since it seems like it's going to be a very lengthy and monotonous game to platinum. I generally like games like this, loved the mode in V3, but I gave up after 10 or so hours, and I had only completed about 10-15 or so floors of the tower at that point if memory serves (and there's a trophy for clearing 200 floors).

I adore the franchise, but your post has likely dissuaded me from playing this. I've already spent numerous hours on V3's post-game content and am not even finished with it all yet. It's not bad, but it's been so tedious, with the character events the only truly rewarding aspect for me. If S builds itself on bonus game modes from its "predecessor," yet can't even improve on that foundation while feeling protracted and incorporating microtransactions, I'll gladly abstain.

I haven't read up on Danganronpa's future lately, but I'm still holding out hope for a proper entry someday.

• Like 1

I've never gone from such hope to such despair in such a short span of time.

I love Danganronpa. I hated that boardgame. It took me nine days after every other trophy to get through the mind-numbing grind of it all, just because I wanted V3 as my 250th plat.

Hearing it also has gacha mechanics and microtransations is honestly just depressing. This is what I dreaded happening to games, mobile game sensibilities trickling into consoles.

These trophies will be very rare, if only because it's still a somewhat niche franchise, those who pick it up will likely persevere for a while through it in the hopes it gets better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luketheduke12 said:

I adore the franchise, but your post has likely dissuaded me from playing this. I've already spent numerous hours on V3's post-game content and am not even finished with it all yet. It's not bad, but it's been so tedious, with the character events the only truly rewarding aspect for me. If S builds itself on bonus game modes from its "predecessor," yet can't even improve on that foundation while feeling protracted and incorporating microtransactions, I'll gladly abstain.

I haven't read up on Danganronpa's future lately, but I'm still holding out hope for a proper entry someday.

Danganronpa is one of my favourite series, and it was a shame that S was such a disappointment for me. I wasn't expecting anything amazing, but I really wasn't expecting it to be such the grindy borefest it ended up being. If you find the content in V3 tedious, I definitely can't recommend S, especially since most of the character events are very stilted and generally not too enjoyable. The game does have an overall story, where the Danganronpa cast do generally seem more consistent, but the way it's structured often makes it confusing on how to progress, and it wasn't overly interesting from what I played.

As for the future of the series, Spike Chunsoft have expressed interest in releasing new games in the series, but haven't said much on it. Could mean there won't be any new mainline entry unfortunately, but only time can tell.

This section in particular:

Along with other plans, the company is commemorating the franchise's 10th anniversary with the upcoming release of Danganronpa Decadence for Nintendo Switch. Spike Chunsoft looks forward to further expanding the Danganronpa franchise with games in various genres and more.

That article was released back in October 2021, and afaik anyway, I don't think there's been any other news on the Danganronpa franchise overall since then.

Kazutaka Kodaka (the creator and main writer of Danganronpa), along with Too Kyo Games and Spike Chunsoft are also currently developing Enigma Archives: Rain Code, which seems like it may have a very similar vibe to Danganronpa, so it's worth keeping an eye on if you're not already aware of it.

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed the board game and battle elements in V3, and don't mind a grind. My main concern is the trophy for seeing all character events. Can someone explain what that'll entail? Is it the skits on the board, do they overlap, and is there a way to keep track of them in a viewing library of some sort? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EsperKinAaron said:

I actually enjoyed the board game and battle elements in V3, and don't mind a grind. My main concern is the trophy for seeing all character events. Can someone explain what that'll entail? Is it the skits on the board, do they overlap, and is there a way to keep track of them in a viewing library of some sort? 

Yeah, on the main menu you can see a list of each characters events, and they do overlap. I haven't even played as Twogami yet but I have 8/15 of his events already, so it shouldn't be too hard getting most of them naturally and then just going back to finish up the rest later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tsoglav said:

Yeah, on the main menu you can see a list of each characters events, and they do overlap. I haven't even played as Twogami yet but I have 8/15 of his events already, so it shouldn't be too hard getting most of them naturally and then just going back to finish up the rest later.

Oh good, thank you for the information.

19 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Kazutaka Kodaka (the creator and main writer of Danganronpa), along with Too Kyo Games and Spike Chunsoft are also currently developing Enigma Archives: Rain Code, which seems like it may have a very similar vibe to Danganronpa, so it's worth keeping an eye on if you're not already aware of it.

I actually wasn't aware of this game, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Nicco555 said:

According to PSN, it took me 42 hours.

Wow, that's quick.

PSN says I'm at 45 hours, and I still have to do another 15 or so board game runs for the initial hope fragments, plus redo a bunch with U cards to get all the events.

Not to mention still grind out levels to get the last few mats needed for making all equipment and then grind out god knows how much more to get gold coins.

Of course, of a lot of this is idle time, auto grinding for mats/coins. Personally, I'm just using remote play on my phone with an auto clicker pressing the x button so I don't have physically do it myself, but getting what you need is RNG based and slow going.

Got any end game tips? I'm not sure if there's really anything else I could be doing more efficiently. For grinding gold coins I'm just auto battling level 195 and letting that go. I got a couple of characters with high luck because I read that mattered, but honestly, from what I can tell, it doesn't and percentage of gold coin drops is still low (same for copper, sliver fangs I need for the Hope Item).

25 minutes ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

Wow, that's quick.

PSN says I'm at 45 hours, and I still have to do another 15 or so board game runs for the initial hope fragments, plus redo a bunch with U cards to get all the events.

Not to mention still grind out levels to get the last few mats needed for making all equipment and then grind out god knows how much more to get gold coins.

Of course, of a lot of this is idle time, auto grinding for mats/coins. Personally, I'm just using remote play on my phone with an auto clicker pressing the x button so I don't have physically do it myself, but getting what you need is RNG based and slow going.

Got any end game tips? I'm not sure if there's really anything else I could be doing more efficiently. For grinding gold coins I'm just auto battling level 195 and letting that go. I got a couple of characters with high luck because I read that mattered, but honestly, from what I can tell, it doesn't and percentage of gold coin drops is still low (same for copper, sliver fangs I need for the Hope Item).

For the board game, after finishing the battle mode I just went to the central island shop, bought the best armour and the best weapon, a Move 1 card and a Move 3 card. Used the Move 1 to go to the Friendship square then alternated skipping turns and using the Move 0 card you get for skipping a turn. After exhausting the events I would move to the Monobeast (Horse) then use the Move 3 card to move to an EXP square on the final island where I would start idling again as I found using Move 0 cards on EXP spots to be slightly faster than skipping turns once your inventory gets filled.

If you don't care about the Usami Flowers for leveling to 99, just stay on the first island, no need to visit any shops, just idle on friendships squares until you've seen all events then idle on an EXP square. 

For Battle Mode I didn't use any particularly lucky characters, my U Komaru was strong enough to 1-shot all normal enemies with Summer Rain Fist and fast enough to always attack first. For Gold Monocoins I think I auto-ed 197. 

Edited by Nicco555
  • Like 3