When to switch over to the Director's Cut?

bUtteRnUTs_95

So I've been playing Death Stranding (PS4 version, physical) on my PS5 for just over a week now and absolutely loving it. I'm deep into chapter 3 and having a blast!

So much so I feel like I'm hindering myself playing this version of the game knowing full well I could be playing a superior version with the Director's Cut.

Now considering I was always going to play it on my PS5, and only now realising just how massive this game truly is, I should've just skipped the PS4 version altogether and started day one with the DC so let's get that out the way first: I'm a dumbo ?

So anyways, at the time of posting this, I've unlocked about 45% of the trophies. A small part of me wants to just stay on the PS4 version, finish the story, get the rest of the trophies (which essentially requires me to play through the majority of the game), then export the save over once I've got the plat, and do whatever I need to to get the platinum on PS5 (it's my understanding all but 3 of the trophies autopop, right?) which to me would feel like a waste of time and a lot of missed appreciation and immersion for the DC after putting in considerable hours into the former version of the game.

The other (more eager) part of me wants to just put the PS4 version on the backburner and jump into the DC, and come back to the PS4 version in the future to platinum it. Only problem is there's no autopop at all from PS5 to PS4, so if I upgraded now, I'd have to repeat a lot of the same deliveries just for the trophies.

My question is for those who have completed the game and can offer a helpful answer with minimal spoilers: when is a good point in the story where I can export my save file to the PS5 version and continue onwards there, but also to make getting the PS4 platinum less of a hassle when I go back to it AFTER finishing the DC?

Thanks very much ?

• Like 1

The game changes tempo after you've met with Mama. I would be recommending porting the savefile post that chapter to PS5, in that way, you've made it past the initial slow grind and then continue from there to develop the world to your liking, ensuring faster deliveries. Alternatively, you can invest a little time in developing your world post meeting Mama, at least to the stage of your liking, and then port your save file to the PS5 version. I feel the latter is the better option as you already would have most of the infrastructure and logistics set up, allowing you to continue your focus on the rest of the story on both versions of the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dev2610 said:

The game changes tempo after you've met with Mama. I would be recommending porting the savefile post that chapter to PS5, in that way, you've made it past the initial slow grind and then continue from there to develop the world to your liking, ensuring faster deliveries. Alternatively, you can invest a little time in developing your world post meeting Mama, at least to the stage of your liking, and then port your save file to the PS5 version. I feel the latter is the better option as you already would have most of the infrastructure and logistics set up, allowing you to continue your focus on the rest of the story on both versions of the game.

Great answer, thanks very much. I know there are 14 chapters plus a prologue so I figured a good stepping off point to PS5 would be around chapters 5-7 so your answer lines up perfectly with that, cheers.

14 hours ago, bUtteRnUTs_95 said:

So I've been playing Death Stranding (PS4 version, physical) on my PS5 for just over a week now and absolutely loving it. I'm deep into chapter 3 and having a blast!

So much so I feel like I'm hindering myself playing this version of the game knowing full well I could be playing a superior version with the Director's Cut.

Now considering I was always going to play it on my PS5, and only now realising just how massive this game truly is, I should've just skipped the PS4 version altogether and started day one with the DC so let's get that out the way first: I'm a dumbo 1f602.png

So anyways, at the time of posting this, I've unlocked about 45% of the trophies. A small part of me wants to just stay on the PS4 version, finish the story, get the rest of the trophies (which essentially requires me to play through the majority of the game), then export the save over once I've got the plat, and do whatever I need to to get the platinum on PS5 (it's my understanding all but 3 of the trophies autopop, right?) which to me would feel like a waste of time and a lot of missed appreciation and immersion for the DC after putting in considerable hours into the former version of the game.

The other (more eager) part of me wants to just put the PS4 version on the backburner and jump into the DC, and come back to the PS4 version in the future to platinum it. Only problem is there's no autopop at all from PS5 to PS4, so if I upgraded now, I'd have to repeat a lot of the same deliveries just for the trophies.

My question is for those who have completed the game and can offer a helpful answer with minimal spoilers: when is a good point in the story where I can export my save file to the PS5 version and continue onwards there, but also to make getting the PS4 platinum less of a hassle when I go back to it AFTER finishing the DC?

Thanks very much ?

that depends on 3 things:

a. how much of a (n OCD) completionist you are;

b. how much of the time you think you will end up spending in this game (PS4 and PS5 combined);

c. how efficient you want said time to be spent (not much of doing the same stuffs twice).

I'm going to present myself as an example. I belong to one of the worst kinds for (a), but I also worship efficiency for (c). I hate doing the same thing twice, especially if the reward/achievement is exactly the same (you will see how I weigh between the two below). so here is what I did:

- 120h in-game time mark: Platinum PS4 version. blind playthrough, and also taking my time for the grindy delivery trophies.

- 175h in-game time mark: completed all 500 Legend of Legends (LoL) deliveries and clean-up (repair structures to carry over to PS5).

>>> save transfer to PS5, in-game time carries on

- 182h in-game time mark: Platinum PS5 version. went straight for the missing 3 trophies, ignoring everything else.

- 244h in-game time mark: rebuilt all infrastructure, completed all 540 Legend of Legends of Legends (LoLoL) deliveries.

probably another 15 hours or so for the cleanup (S-ranking all fire drills and races, repairing essential structures) before putting down the game for good.

my personal recommendation for you would be proceeding all the way to PS4 platinum, doing the bare minimum required. stick to story as much as you can, save optional errands (standard orders) for post-game. don't overbuild structures or their network. google or figure out the best standard orders to get the grindy delivery trophies done in shortest real-world time (usually the big/heavy and far ones) and keep repeating them rather than taking on ones you haven't completed (there are 500 in total). when you got the plat, don't bother to clean up (like I did), because you'll have to basically rebuild your network of 'a certain structure unlocked at chapter 5' as PS5 version will reset ALL online structures in your world. then transfer to PS5, grab the platinum, and keep on playing until you're done with the game.

the reason why I deviate from the specific circumstances of your question is your thought (albeit small) of nabbing the PS4 platinum after doing PS5. no, you most likely won't. if you do that, you will have to do a lot of annoying chores again... on an inferior version of the game while losing really helpful updates introduced in DC as well. not exactly motivating for a time-consuming game like this. I might be wrong about this, but just consider the likelihood that you will never get the PS4 plat if you transfer midway before proceeding with that.

• Like 3

On 22/07/2022 at 7:59 PM, xurdias said:

that depends on 3 things:

a. how much of a (n OCD) completionist you are;

b. how much of the time you think you will end up spending in this game (PS4 and PS5 combined);

c. how efficient you want said time to be spent (not much of doing the same stuffs twice).

I'm going to present myself as an example. I belong to one of the worst kinds for (a), but I also worship efficiency for (c). I hate doing the same thing twice, especially if the reward/achievement is exactly the same (you will see how I weigh between the two below). so here is what I did:

- 120h in-game time mark: Platinum PS4 version. blind playthrough, and also taking my time for the grindy delivery trophies.

- 175h in-game time mark: completed all 500 Legend of Legends (LoL) deliveries and clean-up (repair structures to carry over to PS5).

>>> save transfer to PS5, in-game time carries on

- 182h in-game time mark: Platinum PS5 version. went straight for the missing 3 trophies, ignoring everything else.

- 244h in-game time mark: rebuilt all infrastructure, completed all 540 Legend of Legends of Legends (LoLoL) deliveries.

probably another 15 hours or so for the cleanup (S-ranking all fire drills and races, repairing essential structures) before putting down the game for good.

my personal recommendation for you would be proceeding all the way to PS4 platinum, doing the bare minimum required. stick to story as much as you can, save optional errands (standard orders) for post-game. don't overbuild structures or their network. google or figure out the best standard orders to get the grindy delivery trophies done in shortest real-world time (usually the big/heavy and far ones) and keep repeating them rather than taking on ones you haven't completed (there are 500 in total). when you got the plat, don't bother to clean up (like I did), because you'll have to basically rebuild your network of 'a certain structure unlocked at chapter 5' as PS5 version will reset ALL online structures in your world. then transfer to PS5, grab the platinum, and keep on playing until you're done with the game.

the reason why I deviate from the specific circumstances of your question is your thought (albeit small) of nabbing the PS4 platinum after doing PS5. no, you most likely won't. if you do that, you will have to do a lot of annoying chores again... on an inferior version of the game while losing really helpful updates introduced in DC as well. not exactly motivating for a time-consuming game like this. I might be wrong about this, but just consider the likelihood that you will never get the PS4 plat if you transfer midway before proceeding with that.

That...is an answer and a half, thanks ?

I'm all about efficiency so I think what I'm gonna do is unlock as many trophies as possible on the PS4 version before meeting Mama, then step off and move to the PS5 version. I'll finish everything I can on there, then hopefully I'll have very little left to repeat on PS4 provided I've unlocked most of, if not all, of the non-story related trophies beforehand.

The worry is there that transferring midway will mean I never go back to finishing the PS4 version, but so long as I don't have a break after unlocking the PS5 platinum, it shouldn't be a problem. Platinum breaks for me usually end lasting way longer than intended, so I'll do my best to stick with it.

Thanks again for the detailed answer.

• 4 months later...
On 22.7.2022 at 5:31 AM, bUtteRnUTs_95 said:

Now considering I was always going to play it on my PS5, and only now realising just how massive this game truly is, I should've just skipped the PS4 version altogether and started day one with the DC so let's get that out the way first: I'm a dumbo 1f602.png

Thanks very much ?

Get the platinum and then the director's cut plat, like me