Game thoughts - Requires multiple runs and has missable collectibles required for trophies

Timmah200

What do you think?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Supermassive Games:

• ...really messed this up.
    • ...didn't really mess this up; it is what it is.

Hey all, I wanted to do a blind run before mopping up trophies, so I didn't look at the guide.  I wish I had.  Here's why:

1.  You cannot get all the collectibles in one run (this wouldn't bother me, until I learned about #2).

2.  You cannot use chapter select to get the collectibles you missed (kind of...you'd have to be really lucky on a blind play through).

3.  There is *almost* no chapter select....you have to finish a full run before it's available, and then after that, you can only select one chapter.  Once you do, you have to finish the game from that chapter before it becomes available again.

4.  You cannot skip cutscenes.

These, to me, are huge mistakes by the developers.  Yes...most people won't care because they don't hunt trophies.  But for us, it's incredibly inconvenient.  So, as long as you don't mind the above, have at it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Timmah200 said:

Hey all, I wanted to do a blind run before mopping up trophies, so I didn't look at the guide.  I wish I had.  Here's why:

1.  You cannot get all the collectibles in one run (this wouldn't bother me, until I learned about #2).

2.  You cannot use chapter select to get the collectibles you missed (kind of...you'd have to be really lucky on a blind play through).

3.  There is *almost* no chapter select....you have to finish a full run before it's available, and then after that, you can only select one chapter.  Once you do, you have to finish the game from that chapter before it becomes available again.

4.  You cannot skip cutscenes.

These, to me, are huge mistakes by the developers.  Yes...most people won't care because they don't hunt trophies.  But for us, it's incredibly inconvenient.  So, as long as you don't mind the above, have at it.

If you chose different outcomes you enter different ways where you end up. So not getting all collectibles in a single run is kinda logic. 

Chapter select also makes sense, because of your choices in a previous run, you possibly can start any chapter very different to other players. How to solve this?

The only thing I would change here is to skip cutscenes after you’ve seen them once. 

Edited by xIRockyRock
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, xIRockyRock said:

Chapter select also makes sense, because of your choices in a previous run, you possibly can start any chapter very different to other players. How to solve this?

Well, Until Dawn (their previous title) allowed you to chapter select endlessly.  Detroit BH (Quantic Dream) also allowed you to chapter select endlessly, and even preserve your previous choices if you wanted to, AND you could skip chapters to get different outcomes in later ones (i.e., make a choice in chapter two, quit to menu, skip to chapter 6, and your choice in chapter 2 affected 6).

So, it is possible to program a game and still have it work out, because Supermassive has done it before, and so has Quantic Dream.

It just didn't seem to make a lot of sense with the way they did the chapter select and the collectables in this game. They were fine in the dark pictures games, but for some reason this game took a step backwards, which does make the platinum more tedious. Hopefully The Devil in Me will fix them. Also would like if they could finally add some kind of scene skip for already watched scenes just to make these games feel like less of a slog when you're having to go through the same scene like 4 or 5 times.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, duboiszack said:

It just didn't seem to make a lot of sense with the way they did the chapter select and the collectables in this game. They were fine in the dark pictures games, but for some reason this game took a step backwards, which does make the platinum more tedious. Hopefully The Devil in Me will fix them. Also would like if they could finally add some kind of scene skip for already watched scenes just to make these games feel like less of a slog when you're having to go through the same scene like 4 or 5 times.

I never played the dark pictures games, so I cannot speak to those.  And yes, this is a complete slog, not to mention the billions of plot holes, poor writing, and really obscure camera work in some spots (mainly with character dialogue).  But I'm working through it as I type this.

I am torn on this one.  I am kind of looking at the guide as I play through to cut down playthroughs but I also want the first playthrough to be legit in my choices/actions, more fun that way.

So I was only looking at collecting tarot cards and evidence on my first playthrough as that doesn’t really impact story and choices/actions.  However, I already think I saw too much when reading about other trophies and what they entail lol.  

Now I am debating trying to keep everyone alive via the guide on my first playthrough but I wonder if that will take the suspense/fun out of it.  So I think you might’ve done the right thing even if it is another playthrough.  You could always listen to a podcast, etc while you clean up.

I am only through Chapter 3.  Not sure if I should go blind (outside tarot cards and evidence) or bite the bullet, read the guide to keep everyone alive, etc. and save on playthroughs.  Decisions, decisions….

Edited by djb5f

On 7/22/2022 at 0:17 AM, xIRockyRock said:

They should at least let you chapter select to an earlier chapter. There's a continuity problem with chapter selecting to later chapters, but not earlier ones. Yet they don't let you do it at all until you finish the game again.

In the Dark Pictures games you can chapter select earlier chapters without having to complete the game, I have no idea why they changed it with this game. Also once you picked up a collectable you never needed to grab it again, so if you missed anything you only needed to chapter select and pick up what you missed to earn trophy instead of having to do two separate playthroughs for each collectable type. I really do wonder if a different publisher might have affected this game as this game was published by 2k, while the Dark Pictures games were published by Bandai Namco, and Until Dawn was Sony.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, duboiszack said:

In the Dark Pictures games you can chapter select earlier chapters without having to complete the game, I have no idea why they changed it with this game. Also once you picked up a collectable you never needed to grab it again, so if you missed anything you only needed to chapter select and pick up what you missed to earn trophy instead of having to do two separate playthroughs for each collectable type. I really do wonder if a different publisher might have affected this game as this game was published by 2k, while the Dark Pictures games were published by Bandai Namco, and Until Dawn was Sony.

This sheds some light on things.  Thank you!  I'm loving this discussion thread.