Thought about writing a guide but then...

grim_fendango

Ok so I had to buy another PS3 to play this game. My old one's disk drive just died. The new one's drive isn't far off by the looks of it. The first few times I tried to load up the game the PS3 glitched out like crazy.

So I did what any sane person would do when they got this beautiful game finally working. I marathoned the whole thing. Played for 10 hours straight. Sleep be damned!

Sorry friends, but it looks like you'll have to rely on 10 year old guides from other sites.

Some useful guides I followed are:

Redacted (sorry apparently we aren't allowed to link to guides on other sites). I don't want to get banned.

I will say that the trophy descriptions are fairly self explanatory in this case. The guide can help clarify what item upgraded to prioritize and the locations of some tricky treasures etc but yeah have at it. 

Sorry I am not stronk enough to provide a truly modernised guide that would do papa Shrek and this beautiful masterpiece justice. But my PS3 is weak, it could barely handle the power of Shrek long enough for me to get the plat. Let alone to record footage and do screen captures for the treasure locations.

Happy hunting friends. Happy Shrek. Shrek is love, trophies is life! 

Edited by grim_fendango
Removing link to other site
  • Like 1

Ok now to give the game some credit. It is competently made for what it is. A co-op puzzle brawler. There was careful thought put into it. The puzzles were interesting. I just wish the combat had a bit more depth.

I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time. I had fun overall. Even if my intentions were to do this for the memes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim_fendango said:

Redacted (sorry apparently we aren't allowed to link to guides on other sites). I don't want to get banned.

Welcome to PSNP, such a perfect site

Here we have some rules, let us lay them down 

Don't link guides, stay in line, and we'll get along fine ?

• Like 3

Update #2 electric boogaloo:

Ok so I'm super glad I just marathoned shrank because now the PS3 with the working disk drive seems to be completely wrecked. While playing some castlevania HD the video just stopped and now I can't see any video when it's switched on.

Yep I definitely won't be able to write a guide for this game. Shrenk killed my new PS3

Edited by grim_fendango

It's absolutely hilarious that you can't link to other sites when this site is only a thing today because it was widely advertised on an another older site.

UPDATE: OK so I swapped the drives between my old and new PS3. And now both drives are working again. I suspect the old drive just had an issue with the magnetic spindle. I've heard reports that sometimes these can get weaker over time and removing them and reattaching them can provide a temporary fix. I wasn't able to confirm this until I put both the new and old PS3 back together again. But my newer drive has an issue with the eject spring though. It doesn't dump the disk as fast as the old one. So I might end up swapping them back and putting in the magnetic spindle from the new drive into the old one which might be more reliable.

As for why the new PS3 is miraculously starting up again? I've got no friggen clue. Maybe it was just dusty or something. Oddly enough the warranty seal was already voided so perhaps the old owner had done stuff to it prior.

TL;DR my new PS3 is not as shreked as it used to be. But still pretty shreked. Mean while my old PS3 that was never shreked is now able to run shrek. Either way I have the platinum. But it's nice to know that eventually I'll be able to play Castlevania Lords of shadow #1 which never saw a digital release.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

> I'm writing a guide for it, if you want to join me in doing so just let me know :)

@Valzentia yeah co-authoring sounds a lot more manageable. Also I got my PS3 working again so I think I should be able to help.

Memes aside I have had experience writing other guides like Miles Morales and Guardians of the Galaxy. If you could add me to your editors list for the guide that would be great :)
Edited by grim_fendango