PS5 USB Extended External Storage

BlackSquirrell1

I'm looking to buy an USB Extended Storage and with so many out there, really don't know which work the best.  Will pick up one that is 1 TB or more and looking at the SSD option.

Can anyone that bought one give any pros/cons on the model you purchased?

Edited by BlackSquirrell1
  • Like 2

I went with the Samsung 870 QVO as shown in the Digital Foundry video below and it works flawlessly. It's just as fast if not faster than the PS5's internal SSD when it comes to load times in PS4 games. You also need the Sabrent USB-SATA adapter to take full advantage of the SSD speed though, which again, is in the video. You can find Amazon links to the products they test in the description.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

I'm looking to buy an USB Extended Storage and with so many out there, really don't know which work the best.  Will pick up one that is 1 TB or more and looking at the SSD option.

Can anyone that bought one give any pros/cons on the model you purchased?

I can’t speak too much in the subject since I didn’t try multiple brands but I went with this Samsung SSD with the heatsink and it’s been working great for almost a year now. It was incredibly easy to install but I followed along with a YouTube walkthrough just in case. It’s a one and done install, works flawlessly, and load times are still a dream.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Heatsink-Internal-Compatible-MZ-V8P1T0CW/dp/B09JHL33X7/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?crid=115RWR8IGUZNM&keywords=ps5+ssd+internal+with+heatsink&qid=1658850346&sprefix=ps5+ssd%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-16

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I went with the Samsung 870 QVO as shown in the Digital Foundry video below and it works flawlessly. It's just as fast if not faster than the PS5's internal SSD when it comes to load times in PS4 games. You also need the Sabrent USB-SATA adapter to take full advantage of the SSD speed though, which again, is in the video. You can find Amazon links to the products they test in the description.

Thanks for the info.  From what I can tell, you can now store PS5 games on that Samsung SSD QVO model but all PS5 games must be run off the internal drive?  Is that correct?

If so, I will probably wait it out as I still have a ps4 to play ps4 games (slower I know) but my storage issue is going to be with PS5 games in the very near future (sort of already).

So while it would help with performance, I don’t see that helping with storage until it can run/play PS5 games.  Maybe the more expensive NVMe model allows that now?  

• Like 1

If you're going with an SSD, why not go Internal? If you're willing to spend that kind of money you might as well just upgrade the internal storage of the PS5. If you're going USB, you might as well just save a lot of money and go large sized HDD, and whatever is stored on there you just move over to the PS5 SSD...which is going to be faster than any external SSD anyways. 

This is what I do. I have a 4TB External HDD...and if I'm going to play anything that's on it, I just move it over the PS5 to take advantage of the SSD. But I mean I got 4TB of storage for under $100 vs. 1TB (SSD) for nearly $150-$200, unless you're upgrading the internal storage, going with an SSD is still expensive for what you're getting. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

If you're going with an SSD, why not go Internal? If you're willing to spend that kind of money you might as well just upgrade the internal storage of the PS5. If you're going USB, you might as well just save a lot of money and go large sized HDD, and whatever is stored on there you just move over to the PS5 SSD...which is going to be faster than any external SSD anyways. 

This is what I do. I have a 4TB External HDD...and if I'm going to play anything that's on it, I just move it over the PS5 to take advantage of the SSD. But I mean I got 4TB of storage for under $100 vs. 1TB (SSD) for nearly $150-$200, unless you're upgrading the internal storage, going with an SSD is still expensive for what you're getting. 

Yes, I think I might go that route as I’ll need the storage for PS5 games and want to future proof (I.e. more concerned about PS5 titles than PS4).  As for performance, these SSD drives appear to have tested to load every bit as fast as the internal PS5 drive.

For your second paragraph, moving games back and forth between the external HDD and your internal drive quick and easy?

I am just exploring options at the moment.

• Like 1

Went the same route as Viper. I have a WD Black P10 5TB. Costs a little over $100 and there’s a cheaper 2TB model. Just move the PS5 games back to internal storage and you can still play PS4 games from it without moving them.

Internal SSD technology is still expensive. Figure the HDD will be fine and maybe in a few years the cost of SSD’s will come down. Am happy with the WD Black. It’s small, doesnt require an external power source, and the transferring of games back and forth is quick. Quicker than on the PS4 I noticed, definitely.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Thanks for the info.  From what I can tell, you can now store PS5 games on that Samsung SSD QVO model but all PS5 games must be run off the internal drive?  Is that correct?

If so, I will probably wait it out as I still have a ps4 to play ps4 games (slower I know) but my storage issue is going to be with PS5 games in the very near future (sort of already).

So while it would help with performance, I don’t see that helping with storage until it can run/play PS5 games.  Maybe the more expensive NVMe model allows that now?  

Yeah, you can move PS5 games to the extended storage, but they have to be moved back to an internal drive to actually be played. I'm still playing a ton of PS4 games, so the external SSD is great for me since it frees up space on the internal drive for more PS5 games without taking a hit to load times. If you want a lot of PS5 games installed at the same time though, you can get an NVMe SSD to use inside of the console and play them directly off that. Expensive though.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

This is what I do. I have a 4TB External HDD...and if I'm going to play anything that's on it, I just move it over the PS5 to take advantage of the SSD. But I mean I got 4TB of storage for under $100 vs. 1TB for nearly $200, unless you're upgrading the internal storage, going with an SSD is still expensive for what you're getting. 

It depends on what you're going to use the space for. SATA SSD's are a lot cheaper than NVMe SSD's of the same storage capacity, so it would only make sense to get an NVMe SSD if you intend on having loads of PS5 games installed and ready to play at the same time. The problem with having a large external HDD and moving games from that to the internal SSD is that the transfer speeds are going to be slow, and doing that a lot will put strain on both the drives. Also, what you said about the internal drive being faster than an external SSD isn't true as you can see from the tests they did in that Digital Foundry video. Most PS4 games either take about the same time, while some load even faster on the external SSD.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Yes, I think I might go that route as I’ll need the storage for PS5 games and want to future proof (I.e. more concerned about PS5 titles than PS4).  As for performance, these SSD drives appear to have tested to load every bit as fast as the internal PS5 drive.

For your second paragraph, moving games back and forth between the external HDD and your internal drive quick and easy?

I am just exploring options at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

It depends on what you're going to use the space for. SATA SSD's are a lot cheaper than NVMe SSD's of the same storage capacity, so it would only make sense to get an NVMe SSD if you intend on having loads of PS5 games installed and ready to play at the same time. The problem with having a large external HDD and moving games from that to the internal SSD is that the transfer speeds are going to be slow, and doing that a lot will put strain on both the drives. Also, what you said about the internal drive being faster than an external SSD isn't true as you can see from the tests they did in that Digital Foundry video. Most PS4 games either take about the same time, while some load even faster on the external SSD.

It's always going to come down to HOW you're using it. For me, I'm not constantly transferring things back and forth...usually when I'm ready to play something, I move it to the PS5, finish it, then delete it with a few exceptions. Transfer speed wise, it's not lightning quick...but it's fine for 1 or 2 games at a time. 

But it still comes down to the fact that you can get more for less by going external HDD right now. External SSD might be cheaper than internal...but it's still far more expensive than an HDD. And I think the slower transfer speeds are a decent payoff for how much money you're going to save. You're obviously going to have performance advantages with an SSD, there's no doubt about that...but I just don't think they're monetarily worth it yet. So I feel like...if you ARE willing to spend the money, just go internal. 

• Like 3

Ahh, so the NVMe SSD drive in the Digital Foundry can also be internal?  If so, I did not realize that initially, especially since they recommended an enclosure and called it an external SSD.

If you use it internally, I guess that means the internal M2 slot is now working in the PS5.  It wasn’t at the time of the video.  

Can the NVMe run PS5 games from it externally?    I mean I’d install it internally but just curious.  A 2 TB one is currently $250 on Amazon.  I can probably wait about a year and see the price come down.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

Wow!  A lot to read here and great information!  I wanted an external drive so I can use it with the PS4 and the PS5.  So basically, I was going to get it for data storage but learning I can download and store games there to be transferred to the PS5 Internal sounds like an excellent idea.

• Like 3

I bought a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1TB

https://www.pricerunner.com/pl/36-3200023637/Hard-Drives/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-SSD-V

(there is a newer version available).  The main advantage is that I keep my ps5 horizontal and this is small enough that it has room to sit on the same shelf and slide under the ps5 so that it takes up no room.

I got it just before my launch ps5, loaded it with ps4 games and have pretty much forgotten it's there.  You can set the ps5 to auto-instal ps4 games onto the external drive, and they play fine from there.  I haven't tried moving ps5 games but would imagine it would be fairly fast.

There are complaints from P.C. folk that it takes a long time to wake up but I have never had this issue on the ps5 (or ps4 in the month it was on that) so I guess the ps5 doen't let it sleep!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Ahh, so the NVMe SSD drive in the Digital Foundry can also be internal?  If so, I did not realize that initially, especially since they recommended an enclosure and called it an external SSD.

If you use it internally, I guess that means the internal M2 slot is now working in the PS5.  It wasn’t at the time of the video.  

Can the NVMe run PS5 games from it externally?    I mean I’d install it internally but just curious.  A 2 TB one is currently $250 on Amazon.  I can probably wait about a year and see the price come down.

Yeah, there was a firmware update a while back that allowed you to use the M.2 SSD expansion bay inside of the console. It has to be in that slot to run PS5 games directly from it; using it externally won't work. I might get one myself eventually if PS5 game storage becomes a problem, but like you, I'll probably just wait for the prices to come down. The external SSD is great for PS4 games which is what I'm using the console for the most at the moment.

Digital Foundry did a video testing NVMe SSD's as well if you're interested.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Void said:

i would just like to back up save files to a USB stick, have they added that in yet or is it still cloud only?

Sadly no. PS4 saves can still be saved to USB, but not PS5 and we still don't have a clue as to why. 

34 minutes ago, Baranov_925 said:

Damn, I thought that 825gb are enough.
Maybe not PS5 but I remember when I had storage (it wasn't from Sony) for PS4 and when I was playing game from storage, every 20 mins I had an alert that I need to reconnect it. 
Does similiar problem appears on PS5?

It's an 825GB SSD, but you only get 667GB out of it because a portion is still taken up by the OS. The PS5 kind of shows you how precious even a few GB is. If Sony gave us a 1TB SSD, we would probably only have like 825GB to work with, but that extra 158GB would go a long way. Game sizes are still relatively large, you'll find yourself deleting games a lot. 

As for your question, I can't comment on this when it came to the PS4. I have a 2TB HDD in my PS4 Pro so external storage was never needed for me until I got the PS5. So on the PS5, I don't play from storage a lot, as I prefer to move my games over to the SSD to take advantage of it's power. But the few times I have played from storage, I've never had any issues with it. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth I have an 4tb that is apparently too slow to work in a ps5 and works perfectly fine. It's a Sabrent 4TB Rocket Q4 NVMe, the 1tb version is allot cheaper. In the beginning allot of people (Some from here) got upset that I suggested a so called under levelled drive, But let's be realistic Sony is asking to reach heights that this hardware never will. In fact allot of people followed Digital Foundry at the time which I would highly recommend not to who finally (Months later) tried an apparently under levelled m2 with no problem. I guess it depends on which sponsor pays the most with DF and how long the grace period is after payment to show a video that completely counteracts. I realize it's just a standard DF above.

I recommend to you an internal M2, Can be below recommended speed. Bare in mind the competition with the XBSX has an nvme that is less then half the speed of the ps5 nvme. 

I still use a mechanical 4tb external hdd as well and it's fine for PS4 if you are only interested in external, Sure SSD is faster though it's up to the individual as to how patient you want to be.

There are quite a few affordable NVME's out there that may or may not show PS5 compatibility, allot of the time someone else would have tried and you can always google the results. This heatsink below replaces the ps5s M2 cover, I would recommend it if you go internal. It replaces the lid 

716wE8u06nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg