Early Look at The User Experience for PSVR2 - A Playstation Blog

MikeCheck--

Thanks for posting. I've said this previously, but everything I'm seeing about this new headset is just making me more and more excited for it. I don't think most people seem to realise just how much of a huge step up it's going to be from the original system. We aren't just talking minor improvements here, it's going to be truly state of the art. The specs already beat out pretty much every other headset out there currently, and sure, the competition will be releasing new sets too in due time, but PSVR 2 will still be extremely competitive with those new sets. The only thing I'm a little concerned on is price. I've been telling myself that they won't price it above the PS5 itself, so 499 max, but even at that price there is no way they aren't taking big losses. Optimistically I'm hoping for 399, but that might be a step too far considering the specs we're talking about here. But if they want a higher adoption rate then something will have to give. Regardless though, you'll be getting a hell of a lot of bang for you buck even if price comes in at the top end. 

This does seem like primo tech...

...but I don't know.

If Sony's going to thrive in a VR market that seems to be a bit sluggish in terms of growth in gaming, they really need to up their pace in terms of getting big new products announced for it.

I can't really recall a game that penetrated out of the fairly small existing VR "bubble" - the people already "bought-in" in some capacity - and seemed like it was legitimately tempting new people towards VR as a medium since Half Life Alyx - and that was over two years ago.

Even now, looking at the currently announced/ rumoured games for PSVR2, a good chunk of them seem to be either support or "experiences" being added for existing games (RE8 / GT7 / Horizon/ Among Us), or sequels to previously successful VR games (Walking Dead Saints and Sinners / Farpoint etc.)- neither of which has the kind of "killer app" cache required to pull new people into the medium.

Sony taking a loss on the PSVR2 is all well and good if it has a long tail of support and people buy a lot of games they otherwise wouldn't have - but it's a recipe for disaster if the only software people buy is stuff they already would have anyway... or if the thing ends up gathering dust after the first few weeks.

• Like 2

I will say that the 'hybrid' games are neat, but if VR isn't required, then people who really never have tried, or like VR will just play the game flat. There must be AA to AAA games and quality of VR-only titles to get the headset to sell. Sony has been pretty quiet about PSVR2, and its games. Don't know how to accept that - either good, because they are saving the details for later, or bad because they've shown all they have. Time will tell, I am excited regardless. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

I will say that the 'hybrid' games are neat, but if VR isn't required, then people who really never have tried, or like VR will just play the game flat. There must be AA to AAA games and quality of VR-only titles to get the headset to sell. Sony has been pretty quiet about PSVR2, and its games. Don't know how to accept that - either good, because they are saving the details for later, or bad because they've shown all they have. Time will tell, I am excited regardless. 

Agreed - and admittedly, it's a tough needle to thread.

The problem with VR is that it's difficult to "sell" a top quality "AAA" game that is in VR exclusively, because the kind of games that work best in VR are not necessarily the type of games people have come to expect of "AAA" - and the kind of games people do expect of "AAA" often don't work very well in VR.

RE7, for example - I was SUPER excited to play in VR - I actually waited until I had one to play it...

...and it made me wildly sick within the first 5 minutes ?

It's tough to craft a really good trailer for a game that is "AAA", but doesn't rely on actually moving - and games where one "moves" within VR make too many people ill to be viable as commercial juggernauts. 

It'll take much smarter people than me to figure out how to bridge that gap - but I certainly hope they do, as the tech itself is amazing!

Edited by DrBloodmoney