Rumor: Sony interested in buying Square Enix

3 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

As bog a PlayStation fan as I am, I'm not very keen on all these big acquisitions and industry consolidation. If this comes to fruition I would hope that Sony still actually allow for most SE titles to be multiplat releases; I bitched about Microsoft doing it with Zenimax so I'll be equally pissed if Sony do the same, not that I think I do can do much about it otherwise.  

Yes, but after MS bought Bethesda and Blizz-Activision, there's not much of a choice left.  Now it's either make acquisitions and secure access to the IP, or lose access if/when MS buys it.

And to be clear, previous Sony acquisitions were small devs that already largely only developed on ps4 anyway (bungie came after).  MS started it by buying big multi-platform devs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Yes, but after MS bought Bethesda and Blizz-Activision, there's not much of a choice left.  Now it's either make acquisitions and secure access to the IP, or lose access if/when MS buys it.

And to be clear, previous Sony acquisitions were small devs that already largely only developed on ps4 anyway (bungie came after).  MS started it by buying big multi-platform devs.

Yeah, for sure; as someone who was previously in the Xbox ecosystem and got burned by it, I can only scoff at everyone suddenly fellating Xbox for being so "pRo-CoNsUmEr" while willfully ignoring how scummy Microsoft actually is. 

3 hours ago, The Investigator said:

makes sense, I hoppe it happens just so I won't see other companies buy them and keep their games off of PlayStation, but it's werd if what the rumor claims is true that Sony didn't want Tomb Riader, that's just stupid of them

Of course they wouldn't want something else to overshadow their precious mass murderer Nathan Drake.

4 hours ago, The Investigator said:

makes sense, I hoppe it happens just so I won't see other companies buy them and keep their games off of PlayStation, but it's werd if what the rumor claims is true that Sony didn't want Tomb Riader, that's just stupid of them

Why would they?

It would be like comparing Star Wars to Star Trek. Sure they are both Sci-Fi but Star Trek is more grounded towards reality with something that you could imagine in a few hundreds years compared to Star Wars which is more fantasy than anything else.

Genuinely confusing to me that if this rumor is true, that PS wouldn't want to keep Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider.  The Legacy alone could benefit PS.   

Both, Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics, I feel would have thrived under PlayStation Studios.  

Uncharted you say?  Come on, Uncharted is awesome, why can't they both exist under the same Publishing Banner... And it isn't like CD, or ND or whoever else does a new Uncharted would over lap.  Staggered releases, different games.  So on. 

21 hours ago, majob said:

I don't know, I thought Sony still had stock in SE but they sold it in 2014 and do they have the money after the Bungie deal? Though if it were to happen I could see it as for more than just the game IPs like people think. Square Enix has sizeable anime studios, IPs and manga publishing and with Sony tightening their grip on the international anime market, this would be a good deal in that regard

Sony can burn 30 bilion for random crap, they buy se or ubisoft next. Thats why they hired op lawyers for dat case recently to get dem big deals done ya salame.

22 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Am I the only one sick and tired of these massive corporations buying out gaming companies? 

Like what Microsoft did with Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard. 

This is already an oligarchy, just like Google/YouTube, Facebook/Instagram and Twitter dominating the social media front. 

We’re already there. WEF (World Economic Forum) is saying we need to block out the sun.

I'm just glad people are finally waking up and at the very least understand what the WEF is and wants. 

The next world war (WW4, if you really are paying attention) is upon us, the people vs government.  We will win. 

Edited by Fr_0zt

1 hour ago, Jermster_91 said:

Why would they?

It would be like comparing Star Wars to Star Trek. Sure they are both Sci-Fi but Star Trek is more grounded towards reality with something that you could imagine in a few hundreds years compared to Star Wars which is more fantasy than anything else.

Tomb Raider has multi media potential, game on console, pc, mobile, any platform, live action movie, TV Show, animated movies/series, it is an universal IP, one of the biggest gaming icon and one of the biggest gaming female icon

there is no other game IP left to buy with that potential other than Final Fantasy maybe which is also Square

Uncharted and Drake are done, period, even if we get more Uncharted games, it wouldn't make sense to bring Drake back and if it's another character than Drake it will be an even break at most

on the other hand, Tomb Raider is immortal, you can reboot it as much as you want, you can't do that with Uncharted/Drake

Tomb Raider also has a history with PlayStation long before Uncharted/Drake

Edited by The Investigator

7 hours ago, The Investigator said:

They have Uncharted, Tomb Raider is redundant

3 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

Part of the reason CD sold so cheap was because their buyer had to take on their massive debt and I doubt Sony would want that baggage

2 hours ago, Sagaan said:

Sony can burn 30 bilion for random crap, they buy se or ubisoft next. Thats why they hired op lawyers for dat case recently to get dem big deals done ya salame.

Sony has roughly 8 billion according to their last shareholder meeting, that's not exactly acquisition money, 

Edited by majob

8 minutes ago, majob said:

They have Uncharted, Tomb Raider is redundant

no it's not, that makes absolutely no sense, that's like saying Microsoft has Halo so them buying the devs/publishers of Doom, Wolfenstein, Call of Duty doesn't make sense, it absolutely makes sense, Uncharted is bootleg Tomb Raider, TR has way more potential than Uncharted

• Like 1