PS5 accolades feature to be discontinued

The Alchemist

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I’m surprised there isn’t an Accolades leaderboard site out there somewhere calling people out for not getting their Accolades legitimately that is now losing their mind as their world is about to be destroyed. 

"The ezpz accolades thread" ?

20 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

Yeah, that could probably be expected. I agree barely anyone used it 

I agree, I know not many people used it, but I loved social elements on PS4, it was nice to congratulate a friend when they got a hard trophy or shared cool clip. But I do know many people especially around here prefer more solitary experience

I didn't care too much for the social stuff on the PS4, but I really miss the What's New feed as well. I really liked seeing what the people I followed were up to and what games they were playing and earning trophies in. 

Well the idea started with multiplayer+ positivity, my experience has almost always been trash....Sony is really out of touch with almost anything.

35 minutes ago, jh7459 said:

I didn't care too much for the social stuff on the PS4, but I really miss the What's New feed as well. I really liked seeing what the people I followed were up to and what games they were playing and earning trophies in. 

I'm pretty sure that is still there.

Since starting up my PS5 console I’ve received 18 accolades (8 green 5 blue, 3 purple and 2 orange to be specific), all of which are from 2 or 3 months ago during my 86 hours of playtime spent going for the VAMPIRE: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt platinum trophy followed by completing the battle pass just for fun.

As for what I think about them being removed? Eh, getting my first ever accolade after many months of not having earned a single one was kind of an epic feeling for me personally but beyond that moment… Can’t say I’m too surprised these are very well being taken away so soon. Again, it was some fun at first but it didn’t take long after for me to lose most of the original interest I had for it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TurningRedEye said:

Since starting up my PS5 console I’ve received 18 accolades (8 green 5 blue, 3 purple and 2 orange to be specific), all of which are from 2 or 3 months ago during my 86 hours of playtime spent going for the VAMPIRE: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt platinum trophy followed by completing the battle pass just for fun.

As for what I think about them being removed? Eh, getting my first ever accolade after many months of not having earned a single one was kind of an epic feeling for me personally but beyond that moment… Can’t say I’m too surprised these are very well being taken away so soon. Again, it was some fun at first but it didn’t take long after for me to lose most of the original interest I had for it.

I always gave them to my teammates if they met the criteria for an Accolade. On the few games that did support them, the feature was buried. Other games had a very quick prompt between matches, so it was easy to miss. The lack of incentives was also a likely reason for little engagement. Overwatch gives you 50 XP per Endorsement, I think. I like Accolades, I was hoping they would expand and improve not shut it down. And some games like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt (at least on the firmware beta) no longer allow you to give any which sucks because sometimes an announcement to the end brings awareness and interest and things turn around. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 0:34 PM, The Alchemist said:

Maybe tie it into a rewards program or something. Perhaps for every [insert arbitrary number] accolades received a player could redeem them for points. 

I pointed out in another thread when they were first brought up at launch how easily boostable the system was.

-Have two PS5s

-Make a dummy account and don't friend it

-Play a single match of a free to play game together (this way the dummy account doesn't need to buy a game nor sub to PS+)

-Give your main account an accolade

-Wait 24 hours, repeat process

They'd probably have discontinued it quicker once I had reached $5 worth of points off of them.

The system was useless anyway. Who actually checks someone's profile right before a match starts? Especially if it's a team game. Then factor in cross-plat multiplayer games where you'd waste your time checking someone's profile just to see they weren't on a PS5 and instead a PS4, Xbox, PC or Switch.

The biggest fault of the system is it's only for giving positive rep. What does that gauge then? Back on the Xbox 360 at least they had a star rating system, while most people had four to five stars, you would occasionally stumble across someone that had managed to get themselves down to half a star and then you'd know that person was a real toxic POS online. They didn't carry this rating system over to Xbox One and other Windows platforms so I guess they realized it didn't really accomplish much for most people. The vast majority of people that left low rep for other people were probably just salty they lost an online match via legitimate means.

• Like 2

On 31/07/2022 at 6:12 PM, AJ_-_808 said:

In my experience, it didn't work well anyway.

I tried giving accolades to people in MK11 twice.

There's a limited amount of time to do so in between matches, and the first time, I was greeted by a wall of text that there wasn't enough time to read through.  The second time, I got a message saying "you cannot give accolades to anyone you aren't friends with"

Good riddance 

That's weird that it didn't let you give accolades to people you aren't friends with when it wouldn't let me do it with friends. That makes zero sense when you think about it, doesn't it? Sackboy: A Big Adventure seems to have been the only game I received accolades from randoms on as well.

It's telling that the first time I ever even heard about these Accolades, was in an announcement about their discontinuation...

... they really did a bang up job publicising that one.

I am, after all, completely oblivious to gaming, and not in any way squarely within Sony's demographic...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lucibur said:

That's weird that it didn't let you give accolades to people you aren't friends with when it wouldn't let me do it with friends. That makes zero sense when you think about it, doesn't it? Sackboy: A Big Adventure seems to have been the only game I received accolades from randoms on as well.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I have a very small friend list by design, like half a dozen people. It's not like he was actually a friend buried in a hundred person list and I mis-read the message. I didn't bother to try again after that 

Pointless system is broken is all I guess.

• Like 1

i always thought the accolade system was similar to the overwatch point system, they maybe wanted to try and show how helpful that a person is in multiplayer or co-op games.
but since it was barely used on launch and rarely implemented any game ( new and old) it was just screaming to get scrapped at some point.

8 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I have a very small friend list by design, like half a dozen people. It's not like he was actually a friend buried in a hundred person list and I mis-read the message. I didn't bother to try again after that 

Pointless system is broken is all I guess.

All in all it seems like the feature getting removed is for the best, seeing as how broken it is. ?

On 7/31/2022 at 1:24 PM, Alos88 said:

Doesn't sound like a system with a lot of thought put into it tbh, I'm sure there are basic features folks are still waiting on they'd have much sooner had over this.

The system had a lot of limitations. To me it looks like it was over-thought and they planned to avoid abuse but made it practically useless for how people really play online games.

I barely pay much attention to the names of stranges I play with during matches. I certainly am not going to really care to give them accolades after a match. If they were friends? Sure but the system is only for strangers giving strangers credit.

Maybe if these online matches had more spectators and those spectators gave the players accolades. That level of engagement is pretty far away for your average nightly online matches.