PS5 accolades feature to be discontinued

The Alchemist

Useless thing I never used. Trophy cards and the help thing can go too

7 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Was accolades a thing you could use in Europe? 

I’ve never heard of it. Played plenty of online games but I have no idea how to give rep to other PS users. 

Never came across it either lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Was accolades a thing you could use in Europe? 

I’ve never heard of it. Played plenty of online games but I have no idea how to give rep to other PS users. 

Yeah it was, but pretty much nobody ever uses it. Played hundreds of hours online and I only got like two accolades so far. Never used it myself.

Going that it was for ps5 only mp games. I never could give them out as i mainly played the ps4 version of things.

Pule who looks at everyone profile before starting a match? Only time i even look at someone is when i was getting beat into the ground. 

I'm a little surprised by the sheer number of people who straight up never knew this existed lol. I get it's a pointless feature, but PlayStation did at least touch on it once or twice, either through a blog post or a video I can't remember exactly, it might have been when they were revealing the PS5 UI, and it also has it's own little section on your profile overview, it's pretty hard to miss where they have it placed to be fair. I guess people don't go to their profile that often? lmao.

The real problem is that it was just totally pointless, even if people knew it was there. Only a handful of games supported it, and even then it was hit or miss because the implementation would be different across games. It could be fairly simplistic or it could be hideously complicated, or hidden entirely. In Ride 4 for example, after a race you would need to press L1 or something and then select the player you wanted to reward, but you only ever had about 5 seconds to do all of this, and I distinctly remember it not even working most of the time. It's so dumb because what does having accolades even prove? It isn't an accurate way to judge who is a good sport and who is toxic.

I feel like PS5 has a slight problem in general when it comes to it's more niche features. Things like the accolades, the cards system etc. It mostly comes down to a) these things not being mandatory and b even when they are included in a game it's usually an inconsistent experience because in most cases the devs will just do the bare minimum and do whatever they feel like. It creates a disjointed experience for the player. There needs to be a unified approach to these things. Even if they aren't mandatory, fair enough, but if devs are going to include these things then Sony needs to step in and say you must follow guidelines and implement them in such a way. I think that would be far better than the current approach which is scattershot at best. If not then I can easily see more features being removed in the near future. PS Plus game help is the only feature (when included in games) that actually works as intended, serves a purpose, and is genuinely useful. 

Edited by The Alchemist
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sad to see it go, even though I didn't get to enjoy it too much. The only game where I got those were from Destruction AllStars and I usually got those whenever I placed 2nd or 3rd place. I really wished games such as Knockout City had that feature, as it would've been more fitting in that game.

e8UebVj.jpg

17 minutes ago, hailurez said:

I knew it existed, but I barely played MP games, so I never got any accolades. I am curious if they'll replace it with something else 

Presumably digital collectibles from the PlayStation Stars loyalty program will be taking its spot. Or they might create a new section just for that, I don't know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Presumably digital collectibles from the PlayStation Stars loyalty program will be taking its spot. Or they might create a new section just for that, I don't know. 

That first thing actually sounds pretty cool. An option to show off like a digital trophy rack would be cool too.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, The Alchemist said:

Presumably digital collectibles from the PlayStation Stars loyalty program will be taking its spot.

This was the first thing I thought too. I was initially thinking they'd expand the profiles somehow, but this makes more sense as a matter of just repurposing reserved space.

Edited by Jelly Soup
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, dannyswfc9 said:

I thought they would improve on it instead of doing away completly. Be sad to see it go as i have a few accolades ?. I bet people thought same about the trophy system at first (i did) but its changed the way people game

I like the activity cards sometimes as its nice to know how long a mission is or its a quick way to get into a certain mission/activity

In my experience, trophies were interesting from the start because if you really liked a game it gave you more incentives to keep playing it and discover everything the game has plus something to "show" as a reward.

This is useless tbh, most people wont even bother to use it. 

They got rid of actual useful features like communities, which for hispanic users it was really useful to boost trophies or just find people to play with since a percentage of the player base isnt invested in trophy hunting boards or discord servers.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2023 at 8:36 AM, Dry said:

Bye bye, accolades!

Reveal hidden contents

My accolade count before being discontinued (in case anyone cares):

PS5-Accolades-My-Accolades-1.png

EDIT: Why the (?) reaction, @Remain-Vigilant? -_-

I don't remember. I probably clicked it by accident. This website was redesign and I think your message showed a ? Instead of its written content.

Edited by Remain-Vigilant
  • Like 1