Best model to buy?

Txustrilla

Hello,

I have my old PS3 Slim banned so now I would like to get another one for trophies purposes and I don't know if I should stick with the Slim model or if I should give a try to the Super Slim model, although I do not like its design at all.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Txustrilla

If you're looking for longevity and ease of maintnance I'd go for a SuperSlim myself. I am not a huge fan of the design either, but that huge door for discs means less electronic parts that could go out and opening the console for cleaning and the occassional repasting is very easy.

Edited by Letenko22
  • Like 1

I would highly recommend staying with the slim, obviously never go with the fat models unless you can open it up regularly to clean but YLOD is an issue on those.

As for the super slim i've had that too but after a while the sliding door for the disc ended up not closing properly and then wouldn't close at all so in my experience of PS3's, the slim is the best one.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't think you can go wrong either way, as both the Slim and Super Slim are very reliable. A lot of people don't like the look of the Super Slim as it can look a bit cheap, especially with the sliding door for the disc drive. Given that you said you don't like the design of the Super Slim, I would say get another regular Slim. I also prefer the design of that one and have owned one for 12 years without any issues.

• Like 1

Both are good but I would pick the Slim purely of the design as they pretty much do the same thing, I have my slim for 12 years and is still working wonderfully.

Avoid the Fat version at all costs, it is pretty and some models can play PS2 games, however it is not worth the hassle as they are very susceptible to technical issues (mine got YLOD after 2 years).

Edited by Ninjise
  • Like 1

In my experience, I'd say super slim is the best option. It's ugly for sure, but I've known plenty of people who had a slim and had it die on them. I've never met anyone who had a super slim die, and I've had mine for almost 10 years and it's never had any issues.

No matter which one you get, I'd recommend replacing the HDD with a bigger HDD. You can get a multi-terabyte drive for super cheap these days, and I think it's a good idea to have all of your games on your system. Redownloading is an enormous pain on PS3, and with Sony already trying to take down the store once, there's no telling when they'll be trying to do it again and if people will lose access to their games when they do.

15 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

In my experience, I'd say super slim is the best option. It's ugly for sure, but I've known plenty of people who had a slim and had it die on them. I've never met anyone who had a super slim die, and I've had mine for almost 10 years and it's never had any issues.

No matter which one you get, I'd recommend replacing the HDD with a bigger HDD. You can get a multi-terabyte drive for super cheap these days, and I think it's a good idea to have all of your games on your system. Redownloading is an enormous pain on PS3, and with Sony already trying to take down the store once, there's no telling when they'll be trying to do it again and if people will lose access to their games when they do.

What about getting a SSD? It is worth?

Btw thank you all for your replies <3

4 minutes ago, Txustrilla said:

I haven't tried it, so I don't really know if there's much of a difference in performance or not. I'd guess you would get better performance, but I have no idea how much better. An SSD is definitely going to be more expensive though. You should be able to get 4x-5x the space on a HDD than a SSD for the same price. It's really up to you and how much money you have to spend and how many games you have/want to buy.

• Like 1

If you can get a brand new Slim, then by all means get that for sure. My Slim died of YLOD in 2014 after a little over 4 years of heavy use, so I ended up getting a Super Slim...and still to this day I absolutely hate the look of it, I hate the sliding door...but...it's been reliable, it's a working PS3 and it does what it's supposed to do. Granted I ended up getting a PS4 less than a year later, so the Super Slim hasn't been used as much as my Slim had. 

As for getting an SSD...while it does improve performance a little bit, the PS3 wasn't designed with SSD's in mind so it's not a vast improvement like you'd expect. Plus you also have to keep in mind the PS3 can't use anything more than a 1TB drive. So for that space you might as well save yourself a ton of money and just get an HDD. 

• Like 3

On 1. 8. 2022 at 9:54 PM, Txustrilla said:

Absolutely not. The PS3 is not designed for an SSD. If anything it will make the XMB load faster, but that's about it. Use that money to get a bigger HDD, just keep in mind that the PS3 can only read up to 1525GB not higher, so I wouldn't go above 1,5TB unless you know what you're doing.

• Like 1

I have 8 PS3s, some Slims and others are Super Slims…I can tell you with full confidence that sticking with the Slim model is the way to go. The Super Slim does not read discs as fast and is easily susceptible to lens damage being that it is always exposed when the tray is open. Doesn’t matter which GB size you go with as you can always upgrade your drive to a hybrid SSD (my main PS3 has 1 TB of storage after upgrading). 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:54 PM, Txustrilla said:

I would highly recommend an SSD. A 500 Gb is $50 and you don’t need to horde every PS3 game on your drive, that’s a lot of space. Boot times, OS, and store are more responsive and download speeds are slightly improved as it writes to the drive. Plus it’s more power efficient. 

55 minutes ago, Letenko22 said:

Absolutely not. The PS3 is not designed for an SSD. If anything it will make the XMB load faster, but that's about it. Use that money to get a bigger HDD, just keep in mind that the PS3 can only read up to 1525GB not higher, so I wouldn't go above 1,5TB unless you know what you're doing.

Absolutely yes! I've been using an SSD for years and would never go back. Not only is the XMB much smoother, loading times are shorter as well. Not as fast as via SATA 3 connectors, obviously, but still faster than a standard HDD. Plus, SSDs don't go into rest mode and need to start spinning again. Simply because there are no moving parts. It's all just chips.

Also, what do you need 1,5 TB for? I'm currently using a 512 GB SSD and have 120 games installed. The biggest one being mere 21 GB. If one focuses on physical games, you don't need much space at all. Many games don't even require an installation.

23 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I have 8 PS3s, some Slims and others are Super Slims

Post a picture or it's a lie. Someone with 45 PS3 games on his profile does not own eight PS3 consoles.

Edited by R4M Razr
  • Like 1

I ended up buying an Ultra Slim some years ago. It looks and feels cheap, many times I feel that is about to break when I am handling it lol. The only positive thing I've seen till now is that unless you are running a very demanding game it doesn't heat up like crazy.

1 hour ago, R4M Razr said:

Absolutely yes! I've been using an SSD for years and would never go back. Not only is the XMB much smoother, loading times are shorter as well. Not as fast as via SATA 3 

Also, what do you need 1,5 TB for? I'm currently using a 512 GB SSD and have 120 games installed. The biggest one being mere 21 GB. If one focuses on physical games, you don't need much space at all. Many games don't even require an installation.

Preservation and conveniance. I can't have most of my digital games installed at the same time as having all my discs installed. This doesn't include all the DLCs, themes, apps and all my saves. If you're someone who likes deleting and reinstalling games, or doesn't have a huge library that wants it on hand, I can't blame you.

2 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

What? You’re measuring my ability to have numerous PS3 consoles based on the amount of PS3 games on my profile? That makes zero sense. 

It actually does. A casual player would not own multiple consoles of the same type. Only hardcore enthusiasts do. But they would also own a massive library of games to justify owning these consoles. Owning multiple consoles but barely any games is it what actually makes no sense. Also, this is the internet. As long people don't back up their claims with evidence, I tend to just call these claims a lie. That's why I almost always post self-taken pictures when it comes to new physical purchases.

So, go ahead and show us your eight PS3 systems. You, whose PSN account was created after the system's discontinuation. I'd gladly take back my accusations and congratulate you on your excellent choice. ?

Edited by R4M Razr

I've had a few PS3's die over the years, but the two I have that are still going are both slim 320 models, and at this point my main one is probably the longest serving of the bunch.

Granted, it isn't getting the day-in-day-out use that the Fat Girls did, but it still feels a pretty robust model, so I'd probably recommend that. Haven't owned a Super Slim mind you.

On SSDs - I had one in one of mine, but TBH, I never saw much difference. Maybe a little faster and smoother in the UI, but that's about it - and even with one, it's still going to feel antiquated and slow compared to current and last gen, so I wouldn't bother.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

48 minutes ago, R4M Razr said:

It actually does. A casual player would not own multiple consoles of the same type. Only hardcore enthusiasts do. But they would also own a massive library of games to justify owning these consoles. Owning multiple consoles but barely any games is it what actually makes no sense. Also, this is the internet. As long people don't back up their claims with evidence, I tend to just call these claims a lie. That's why I almost always post self-taken pictures when it comes to new physical purchases.

So, go ahead and show us your eight PS3 systems. You, whose PSN account was created after the system's discontinuation. I'd gladly take back my accusations and congratulate you on your excellent choice. 1f642.png

So because I currently only have 45 PS3 games on my profile (I have no clue why you actually took the time to count the amount on my profile), I couldn’t possibly own a massive library of games, and multiple consoles, right? Your logic is dog shit lol. And yeah, I’m aware this is the internet, and in saying that I do not owe you a picture as evidence to prove that I own that many consoles, like who even are you? ? 

Why try to derail this thread and go off topic for no reason besides trying to be an asshat, when I was simply using that piece of information to relay that because I have that many PS3s, I’ve come to realize which version of the console runs the best over the years. And I’m sorry that I don’t feel the need to post self-taken pictures like you buddy. Take that entitlement somewhere else. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, R4M Razr said:

Post a picture or it's a lie. Someone with 45 PS3 games on his profile does not own eight PS3 consoles.

What does he gain out of lying about having 8 PS3's? It's not like it's some sort of big flex

• Like 4

Just now, MD_91 said:

What does he gain out of lying about having 8 PS3's? It's not like it's some sort of big flex

Thank you. Exactly my thought process when I read his first response, as if I’m trying to show off or anyone actually cares about the amount I have. Comments like that really make me question people’s thought process before responding in these forums sometimes.

• Like 1