Best model to buy?

Txustrilla

12 hours ago, R4M Razr said:

Also, what do you need 1,5 TB for? I'm currently using a 512 GB SSD and have 120 games installed. The biggest one being mere 21 GB. If one focuses on physical games, you don't need much space at all. Many games don't even require an installation.

I never understood why people always question those who have a lot of storage space, just because they decided not to use a large drive. The more the merrier...it's better to have too much than not enough. 

I have a 1TB in my PS3. Back then my PS3 was my main media hub, so I would download movies and save them to the HDD, as well as music (I play WWE games and back then we could use music saved on the system to use as custom theme music [I miss it so much]) and pictures. Couple that with the games I had installed on there, it all adds up over time. But even then I never filled it up...but the goal isn't to fill my HDD, it's the comfort of knowing I don't have to worry about it. 

Which is a huge issue with the PS5 right now...that 667GB of space we get fills up quick. Having to worry about it at all is the problem. 

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Which is a huge issue with the PS5 right now...that 667GB of space we get fills up quick. Having to worry about it at all is the problem. 

No kidding man…and it’ll only get worse as time goes on as more and more games will utilize the PS5’s capabilities to the fullest extent (hopefully), thus calling for larger file sizes. It’s also crazy how purchasing an internal SSD is pretty much on par with the price of a new PS5. Although useful, it’s expensive. 

To backtrack on the topic at hand, storage should never be an issue on the PS3 with how little storage save files and games take up. You can take a 120 GB Slim model (which I would always recommend over a Piano or Super Slim model), and upgrade the storage whenever you’d like. So easy to swap out and as stated above, potentially makes load times in games quicker and the XMB menu a lot smoother.

53 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

No kidding man…and it’ll only get worse as time goes on as more and more games will utilize the PS5’s capabilities to the fullest extent (hopefully), thus calling for larger file sizes. It’s also crazy how purchasing an internal SSD is pretty much on par with the price of a new PS5. Although useful, it’s expensive. 

What size drive are you looking at?  I know 4 TB is the max but still considerably less than a new PS5.

I am looking at getting a 2 TB internal SSD.  They are all priced around $250, I’ll probably wait for it to go under $200 soon enough, no immediate rush.  A new PS5 was $600 and that doesn’t include additional controller, any forced bundle, etc.

EDIT - And you don’t have to prove anything on # of PS3’s lol.  But why would you have 8 (and only 45 games).  Just a hobby to collect?  In case you want to self-boost some crazy trophy requirement?  Just curious.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, djb5f said:

What size drive are you looking at?  I know 4 TB is the max but still considerably less than a new PS5.

I am looking at getting a 2 TB internal SSD.  They are all priced around $250, I’ll probably wait for it to go under $200 soon enough, no immediate rush.  A new PS5 was $600 and that doesn’t include additional controller, any forced bundle, etc.

EDIT - And you don’t have to prove anything on # of PS3’s lol.  But why would you have 8 (and only 45 games).  Just a hobby to collect?  In case you want to self-boost some crazy trophy requirement?  Just curious.

Well, I’m using the 2 TB WD_Black SN850 with my PS5 currently, and right now those are honestly way cheaper than they were a few months ago it seems. Highly recommend that brand bc of the read speeds alone (also try to get the model with a heat sink already installed). You can snag most models for about $250-$300 right now. I forgot how much I got mine for, was about a year ago. Now the 4 TB internal SSDs are a different story…they range from $600-$800 on the high end. I’d imagine there will be larger capacity ones over the coming years, but 2-4 TBs of expanded storage is ample room for the games being hashed out at the moment I’d say. As far as the PS3 goes, I bought a super duper cheap, brand new 1 TB SSHD for like $25, can’t complain there!

And to answer your questions, I have collected PS3 consoles over the years bc it’s my favorite console and I use them to self boost/help my friends boost many games, something a certain someone in this thread never considered it seems. My profile is not representative of the amount of games I currently own either, I have a pretty decent sized collection, physical and digital. I plan on expanding the amount of games I have on my profile of course, but I’m not trying to bring my completion percentage down anymore than I have to by adding them, if that makes sense. ?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 0:24 PM, Txustrilla said:

Hello,

I have my old PS3 Slim banned so now I would like to get another one for trophies purposes and I don't know if I should stick with the Slim model or if I should give a try to the Super Slim model, although I do not like its desing at all.

What do you guys think?

Definitely another slim. The super slims feel cheap and the fats are too old and faulty. Only get a gen 1 fat if you're an advanced user who can make use of the backwards compatibility benefits. Otherwise, the slim is the best option by far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

First of all, I wanna thank you all for your replies. After almost two weeks looking for a good condition PS3 Slim, I finally managed to get a 250GB PS3 Slim model bundled with Infamous+Killzone 2 (although I think I will never play those games lol) with two practically new controllers (one of them is GOW themed but I don't know if it is original, but it seems so) and as I have said, the console is in a "like new" state: no dust, no visible use marks, no scratches... And I also have the original box and instructions! I'm very happy with this new purchase for 80€ and I'm very pleased I'm going to play a good amount of the PS3 games I never had the chance to play when I was younger.

Thanks again, guys :)

Edited by Txustrilla
  • Like 2