What... is region locked?!

ISAMU_MkII

So after one painful week, I finished the multiplayer of Killzone Shadowfall on the PS4, decided take 1 day break before start the Vita.

Reading the users tips and guides I saw that is unanimous the purchase of the bot zone pack on the PS Store to help get the 100 matches and other online trophies.

The problem is, my factory sealed copy I bought in Hong Kong.

My main and only PSN account is Japanese.

The Vita don't allow have multiple accounts and share regional PSN bought contents to other accounts on the same hardware.

Not big deal, in worse case I can buy a used JP version of Mercenary that is easy for me access the regional JP PSN store.

bought today and for my surprise the game ask a online pass, inside the case there is a voucher but because was used doesn't work.

Inside my factory sealed HK copy, there wasn't any online pass voucher.

The JP ver. indeed ask and they sell this trashy online pass for $10 bucks on the regional PSN here. LOL, My used copy I paid $5!

Anyone had or know someone that had similar experience?

The servers are region locked? 

Because If the JP ver. use separate servers, I will not waste my time (I am sure nobody is playing in JP anymore this) and I will use my uncensored HK copy and try get every online trophy possible without the DLC that I can't purchase.

I made some research before post here and I found this:

Proceed the info?

Is quite old the link.

I hope someone know the answer.

TIA

Im not positive but im pretty sure i seen some recent forums saying the online part is locked to the region of the game. So a japanese version would only connect on a japanese server. I dont think you could pop a japanese copy in and connect with people in usa or eu for example. I could be wrong but im pretty sure theres forums on here about it. Id be upset of i bought a $10 pass thats only good for a month snd find out not a single soul is playing on the server.

6 hours ago, Camokidd87 said:

Im not positive but im pretty sure i seen some recent forums saying the online part is locked to the region of the game. So a japanese version would only connect on a japanese server. I dont think you could pop a japanese copy in and connect with people in usa or eu for example. I could be wrong but im pretty sure theres forums on here about it. Id be upset of i bought a $10 pass thats only good for a month snd find out not a single soul is playing on the server.

The most annoying thing is see that the Japanese package mention in tiny text that online pass is required to play multiplayer, but there is no warning about be stuck and play only against Japanese players.

But most annoying is see on the box that If the servers will shut down, they will give 30 notice in advance. Bunch of liars.

17 minutes ago, KondeBra said:

NA/SA players can't play with EU users. This much I know because I tried. It could be the game region or PSN.

Why there is no mention about this on the guide and mostly important, why the game package doesn't mention that?

Both my JP and HK ver. doesn't mention a word about that.

Is too late and impossible for me search a US or EU copy.

Those things are really hard to find in Tokyo now.

What a miserable mess, already unlocked two multiplayer trophies... but without boost will be impossible get the remains one...

2 minutes ago, dfyd said:

I would never advise anyone to do this because it's always good to be a good boy, but if you were perhaps a very naughty boy, a naughty boy could jailbreak his vita and download PKJG, where said naughty boy would get access to killzone mercenary on whichever region he wanted.  Which would be morally okay if said naughty boy had actually bought it before anyway. Definitely do not search Blaine Locklair on youtube and see how to jailbreak a vita, that would be so naughty, definitely don't do that. 

Thanks but I don't think there are time for me search that. Is too much stuff to learn and there a risk to make the Vita unfunctional in case that something goes wrong.

I just wish I could be aware of that for months ago and both miserable companies could give a 90 day notice in advance.

I will try find people to boost that. And If this not possible, patience. I already have KZ3 for the PS3 incomplete on my profile, I can survive If I don't get that.

Is it possible to play with someone from Australia? Do you think we would match up? If so, I can help you with this game. I don’t require any online trophies so it will take less time to boost.

Also, I am a part of a discord group that is actively going for trophies. Check out the only other KZ Mercs session currently running and there’s a link in the post where you can auto-join.

• Like 1

I heard that PSNP is not very popular in Japan, my advise is to try searching for players on Japanese websites/communities, I'm sure there are some people who ended up in the same situation and also looking for a boost or at least have the game and may be willing to help. The good news is that at least you should have less headache with Aces High trophy than EU/NA players

EDIT: I checked comments from Reddit link you provided and seems like it's not entirely locked, some comments say it's possible to play private/party matches between regions so only matchmaking may be locked. If it's true you may want to check if it's possible to join EU/NA players via Join Friend option in multiplayer. If it works I can help with 2-3 player trophies (I have vita and vita tv) if you are struggling to find people

Edited by KingSkovald
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Notorious_Chingy said:

Even if it should work, don’t the trophies only unlock for public matches?

They do but if Join Friend option works too it should be possible to join EU/NA lobbies by joining to EU/NA friend who is in public lobby, worth trying

Guys, not too sure about the Killzone: Mercenary servers being region locked, but when I boosted the online trophies last year, I was able to boost it with a player from EU (from Singapore in R3 Asia).

Granted though, this was done through the Join Friend option so I am not too sure whether only matchmaking may be locked etc. Just sharing my experience here.

Edited by gunman47
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mina said:

Is it possible to play with someone from Australia? Do you think we would match up? If so, I can help you with this game. I don’t require any online trophies so it will take less time to boost.

Also, I am a part of a discord group that is actively going for trophies. Check out the only other KZ Mercs session currently running and there’s a link in the post where you can auto-join.

I can try!

I played this thing for two consecutive days with randoms and right now I only need the knife counter attack and 10 destroyed drones trophies besides the 100 matches.

Edited by ISAMU_MkII

5 hours ago, KingSkovald said:

I heard that PSNP is not very popular in Japan, my advise is to try searching for players on Japanese websites/communities, I'm sure there are some people who ended up in the same situation and also looking for a boost or at least have the game and may be willing to help. The good news is that at least you should have less headache with Aces High trophy than EU/NA players

EDIT: I checked comments from Reddit link you provided and seems like it's not entirely locked, some comments say it's possible to play private/party matches between regions so only matchmaking may be locked. If it's true you may want to check if it's possible to join EU/NA players via Join Friend option in multiplayer. If it works I can help with 2-3 player trophies (I have vita and vita tv) if you are struggling to find people

Thanks. What I need is one more person that is for the 10 drones to destroy and counter attack the knife besides 100 matches.

And Japanese players don't care about trophies, the very crushing majority of them, that's why I can't depend on them and I already made a nice progress with my HK copy, there is no way that I would jump and switch to my JP ver. here, I don't want pay for this ridiculous online pass and start a new save.

56 minutes ago, gunman47 said:

Guys, not too sure about the Killzone: Mercenary servers being region locked, but when I boosted the online trophies last year, I was able to boost it with a player from EU (from Singapore in R3 Asia).

Granted though, this was done through the Join Friend option so I am not too sure whether only matchmaking may be locked etc. Just sharing my experience here.

Thanks, this info helps.

I bought the Australian version of the game and if I recall correctly, I matched with mainly Asian players and European players with off few Aussies here and there as well. I seem to recall a Japanese player or two, but my memory going back to 2014-15 is a bit foggy this long on.

53 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I have the Japanese version. There is no online pass.

Maybe your ver. is the rarest on the planet, you should really take a good care because on the Japanese PlayStation site the online pass aka: オンラインプレイチケット is mentioned.

https://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/online/vcjs15007.html

LOL

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I bought the Australian version of the game and if I recall correctly, I matched with mainly Asian players and European players with off few Aussies here and there as well. I seem to recall a Japanese player or two, but my memory going back to 2014-15 is a bit foggy this long on.

Thanks, will try soon.

Edited by ISAMU_MkII

28 minutes ago, ISAMU_MkII said:

Maybe your ver. is the rarest on the planet, you should really take a good care because on the Japanese PlayStation site the online pass aka: オンラインプレイチケット is mentioned.

https://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/online/vcjs15007.html

LOL

Other games have it - but this one doesn't. If it did, you would be able to buy the online pass on the Japanese store. 

以前大阪に住んでいました。

I have not seen a listing for this game's online pass. Also, the game's online is not region locked. You should have just stuck with your Hong Kong copy. But as far as I am aware this game didn't have an online pass in any region.

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Other games have it - but this one doesn't. If it did, you would be able to buy the online pass on the Japanese store.

You READ my first post?

I explained why I will not buy that pass.

And you don't read any Japanese? 

You said that lived in Osaka but for some unknown reason can't scroll down that page and find that the maker mention and confirm the existence and mandatory use of the オンラインプレイチケット

Edited by ISAMU_MkII

5 hours ago, ISAMU_MkII said:

Thanks. What I need is one more person that is for the 10 drones to destroy and counter attack the knife besides 100 matches.

And Japanese players don't care about trophies, the very crushing majority of them, that's why I can't depend on them and I already made a nice progress with my HK copy, there is no way that I would jump and switch to my JP ver. here, I don't want pay for this ridiculous online pass and start a new save.

I see. Well then it will take 16+ hours to do 100 games in public lobbies. I can help you with counter attack and drones if we manage to find an empty lobby.
Also I suggest to focus on Aces High trophy as soon as possible, it's not listed in MP section in PSNP guide but it requires online connection too and will become unobtainable, so far it's the most risky trophy in the game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

I see. Well then it will take 16+ hours to do 100 games in public lobbies. I can help you with counter attack and drones if we manage to find an empty lobby.
Also I suggest to focus on Aces High trophy as soon as possible, it's not listed in MP section in PSNP guide but it requires online connection too and will become unobtainable, so far it's the most risky trophy in the game.

But Aces of High is campaign related too, right?

I read other topic and people are getting playing side ops or whatever was on veteran, making 50k in money for 3 days or something like that. I started today the story mode on veteran... hope finish until tomorrow.

What time zone are yours?

Destroy those drones in public without boost is impossible, nobody use them. I appreciate the knife help too.

3 minutes ago, ISAMU_MkII said:

But Aces of High is campaign related too, right?

I read other topic and people are getting playing side ops or whatever was on veteran, making 50k in money for 3 days or something like that. I started today the story mode on veteran... hope finish until tomorrow.

Aces High is awarded for earning valor points and both single player and multiplayer points count, most popular method seems to be farming first mission demolition contract on veteran. But it's not 50-60k like author of that topic claimed, it varies everyday depending on overall player performance, for example I had 115K average and it popped only on the 4th day. As more and more people are worried about it and trying to farm as much as possible this number can increase with each day so the safest option is to just farm as much as you can and hope that it pops next day.

10 minutes ago, ISAMU_MkII said:

What time zone are yours?

GMT+3

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Aces High is awarded for earning valor points and both single player and multiplayer points count, most popular method seems to be farming first mission demolition contract on veteran. But it's not 50-60k like author of that topic claimed, it varies everyday depending on overall player performance, for example I had 115K average and it popped only on the 4th day. As more and more people are worried about it and trying to farm as much as possible this number can increase with each day so the safest option is to just farm as much as you can and hope that it pops next day.

GMT+3

But I need finish the entire story mode?

Or after finish the stage I need restart everything again?

I will do that when I have spare time and when I need sleep I leave my Vita running with a rubber band on the public lobby. I saw people doing that for hours to achieve the 100 matches.

What is your best local time that you can help? GMT+3 means 11AM.

I need host a boost session days later because I already made a session and some users already joined, would be unfair from me If I cancel so your help will be very appreciated If I can get those trophies earlier just to make the things easy.