How scary is Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water?

I wanted to know how scary this game is compared to other horror games like Outlast, Resident Evil and Amnesia. The game has been in my wishlist for some time but I've never played it and I also don't see the game passing by much on Youtube or on Reddit. I've never played any Fatal Frame game bfore so I'm a total newbie when it comes to the story of the game

The game appeals to me quite a bit because it doesn't seem like your "average" horror game and that's what I like about it. I also like Japanese games (as long as they don't contain cringy waifu as often present in JRPGs)

Also, do you have to play all the other parts to understand the story/ characters of FF4 or is that not necessary?

Compared to the previous titles of Project Zero, Maiden of Black Water is more like a camera-shooting game with some jump-scare. But i am a horror game/movie maniac so i don't know where exactly your boundary of fear is.

You don't have to play the Zero 1-4 to understand the plot or characters as there are so many cutscenes and files in this game which are fairly enough.

• Like 1

I didn't find it scary in a traditional sense, but it's more atmospheric and eerie. Ghosts and spirits are my trigger for this kind of mood and some ghost visual and sound designs are pretty awesome (i.e. ghost of a person that died by hanging produces rope creaking or ghost of a person that died by drowning makes gurgling sounds). I can recommend this game and while it's tied to previous games by some characters it's not mandatory to know plot of previous games as it's more or less standalone.

• Like 2