Future might be uncertain

majob

52 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

If the game is sufficiently profitable and has decent reviews, then there's no danger of it being closed down but if it's a flop or only doing so-so business with meh reviews, the odds are it will be shit canned faster than you can blink. Warner/Discovery have a mountain of debt to clear and need to make at least 3 Billion Dollars worth of savings across all divisions so if something or someone isn't pulling their weight, they will be snapped out of existence in a heartbeat by the new CEO who is infamous for his brutal approach to saving money and reducing bloat.

This is a great fact i didnt know

• Like 2

Wasn't it just movie/streaming/tv stuff that David Zaslav cancelled though?

Guy apparently watched an early cut of Batgirl and thought it was trash.

You think he's a gamer too? Gonna try MultiVersus and close it if he keeps losing every match?

Nah. He'll be too busy tearing HBOMAX apart in favor of his own baby project, Discovery+.

@HuntingFever Yeah, but this Batgirl thing seems more like a power move. He could just let it release on streaming and get some money back, instead of taking a hit of 90M and sending so many people's work down the drain.

Let's see if this works out for him or if simply alienates all talent in front and behind the cameras and has no one left to work with. I mean, who would want to work for someone like this?

18 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

You think he's a gamer too? Gonna try MultiVersus and close it if he keeps losing every match?

Nah. He'll be too busy tearing HBOMAX apart in favor of his own baby project, Discovery+.

@HuntingFever Yeah, but this Batgirl thing seems more like a power move. He could just let it release on streaming and get some money back, instead of taking a hit of 90M and sending so many people's work down the drain.

Let's see if this works out for him or if simply alienates all talent in front and behind the cameras and has no one left to work with. I mean, who would want to work for someone like this?

It's more nuanced than that. If they don't  profit off the cancelled projects like Batgirl, they can write them off on their taxes. The major reason so many things are getting axed is so they can write them off to save money on costs

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Ultimately, only time will tell how things will go with this game and if it gets canned or not.

I’m so fed up with these massive corporations gobbling up other corporations. 

This is already a battle of the monopolies. You have to obtain acquisitions before your ‘other’ competition grabs them first. 

It’s just a bunch of corporate executives in fancy business suits making all the decisions. Everybody from the managers to the hard working developers get shafted under them. 

And one wonders why I still buy physical and why I still support small indie developers and companies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Warner shuffled hands more like, going from AT&T to Discovery and Warner has had massive debt for ages so an acquisition was inevitable.

On the Multiversus front. Seems Season 1 is delayed.

Makes me wonder if Gotham Knights is safe

Edited by majob

46 minutes ago, majob said:

It's not. For the 2nd time in 2 years, rumor is WB has been shopping out their gaming division for potential buyers.

Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth

Lego / Star Wars / Harry Potter

Mortal Kombat / Injustice

Batman Arkham 

Dying Light (maybe?)

All in potential danger of server down or disruption if potential buyer cancels or transfers servers.

If you don't want to get blindsided by another group of shutdowns, might want to get ahead of these

Edit

It doesn't matter if multiverse itself is successful - WB may dump their whole gaming division 

Edited by AJ_-_808

So when I was growing up, it used to be a big deal when you'd buy 1 and get one free. Like, wow you were getting two products for the price of one.

If you were getting 10, or 100 games for the price of 1, that was a sign that the quality was low and that is why so many products were all being bundled together.

These days, whether it's Kingdom Hearts, the Marvel Super hero universe or this game. Everything just seems, I dunno, over the top.

I remember, at the time the Expendables Movie seems like a big thing, all these big action heroes from the 80s all teaming up together in one film.

Actually though, in hindsight it's not a good thing at all. And these days now, everything is a cross over, to the extent where cross overs aren't even special.

I have no idea why Tom and Jerry are teaming up with Bat Man and fighting Shaggy from Scooby Doo (who is normally like, a super weakling) or the Iron Giant.

I don't think all this cross over weird sets a good precedence moving forward that all these IPs are just bundled together, in order to make a profit/people to care about them. Especially since this game is just Smash Bros clone, but with non Nintendo IP in it. Even more of a lazy excuse for a game than the Playstation All Stars.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

It's not. For the 2nd time in 2 years, rumor is WB has been shopping out their gaming division for potential buyers.

Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth

Lego / Star Wars / Harry Potter

Mortal Kombat / Injustice

Batman Arkham 

Dying Light (maybe?)

All in potential danger of server down or disruption if potential buyer cancels or transfers servers.

If you don't want to get blindsided by another group of shutdowns, might want to get ahead of these

Edit

It doesn't matter if multiverse itself is successful - WB may dump their whole gaming division 

Mortal Kombat 2011 was pretty sudden as far as shutdowns are concerned, though it was already an old game from the PS3 era by the time that happened. Really it's the players getting screwed on this one.

I recall people telling me Homefront, the PS3 game was suddenly without servers shortly after THQ declared bankruptcy. The latest achievers for the online trophies date back to 2013, the same time THQ went under. So regarding that piece of history, WB could have a bunch of games without servers if the worst happens. I could be wrong of course, but it's a shame for anyone who is a fan of these franchises.

Man is so a sad for me knowing all this information.... like it or not, I really love a lot of the media owned by WB. I really hope whatever happen is for the best to be honest. 

I think on the videogames side, probably they could forget about doing their own games and just focus on giving the rights to other companies, for example imagine something like "DC Batman or Green Arrow" from insomniac. But I don't know I just hope all goes good and just enjoy Multiversus while we can!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Mortal Kombat 2011 was pretty sudden as far as shutdowns are concerned, though it was already an old game from the PS3 era by the time that happened. Really it's the players getting screwed on this one.

That's a separate issue that shouldn't really be compared with a parent company selling off a bunch of devs/ips.

Doesn't really matter how new or successful multiverse is, if wb/discovery is determined to offload the gaming studio, it'll do it either piecemeal or the entire thing.

Actually, I think maybe fortnight level success that can continuously generate microtransaction income might be the only thing that could change their minds.  I don't see that in this game

Edit

The red flag (for this publisher) is waving. If you're aware and ignore it, you're the only one at fault 

Edited by AJ_-_808

35 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

The red flag (for this publisher) is waving. If you're aware and ignore it, you're the only one at fault 

That's the point, this is WB, which is why I compared them with THQ. Really it's up to the developer companies to fix the online servers, like with Mortal Kombat X's Invasions which seem to have been an issue for years at this point.

I'm already aware, and frankly I'm not interested in the rest of these games/franchises. The only Batman Arkham game that's in danger of having shutdown servers is Batman Arkham Origins, which is an old game from 2013 which still *somehow* has working servers. The rest are all done offline.

Mortal Kombat is in danger, specifically MK X and Mortal Kombat 11. I don't care about MultiVerse at all, I'm just making a point across.

3 hours ago, majob said:

Warner shuffled hands more like, going from AT&T to Discovery and Warner has had massive debt for ages so an acquisition was inevitable.

On the Multiversus front. Seems Season 1 is delayed.

well they're not going to cancel a AAA almost finished game that hasn't made a dime yet so i'd say it's safe.  However, i think it's going to be a trash game so you the consumer probably would be safer buying something else with your money.

Edited by steel6burgh

35 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

well they're not going to cancel a AAA almost finished game that hasn't made a dime yet so i'd say it's safe.  However, i think it's going to be a trash game so you the consumer probably would be safer buying something else with your money.

They'll cancel it if it seems more valuable to write it off as a tax deduction, like with Batgirl.

33 minutes ago, Iker_01 said:

They'll cancel it if it seems more valuable to write it off as a tax deduction, like with Batgirl.

a tax deduction on a $100 mil investment give or take?  Tax write offs are great but i hardly think Gotham knights is in consideration for a tax write off.  If the game looses money they will write the losses off but they won't scrap the entire finished product for a tax write off.  Once the game is finished they don't have much to loose at that point so considering the game releases in a few months it's safe to say it's not getting cancelled.  They cancel stuff like CNN plus because it's shit to begin with and they have to keep investing in it and it had no viewers because everyone knows CNN is full of shit.  Gotham knights the investment is already made and some people don't yet realize the game sucks ass so they might buy it anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iker_01 said:

Nah.

Even with the tax write off, Batgirl will still lose them a tonne of money.

The only reason to hit the panic switch and go nuclear the way they did there - to consider a tax write off to be the lesser of two evils - is if the movie was so bad, that they think it would not only lose money in the short term, but would also do irreparable harm to the franchise as a whole, simply by its existence.

Videogame offshoots of predominantly film franchises aren't viewed the same way though. Bad games have never destroyed a film franchise as far as I can recall - in the same way that bad movie spin-offs of good game franchises have never really hurt those successful game franchises.

They are just seen as forgettable offshoots. (If that was the case, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Warcraft, Resident Evil, Silent Hill... they'd all be gone... there would barely be any game franchises left ?)

Even a total stinker of a game doesn't harm a film-forward franchise's money making capabilities the same way - even if they internally think Gotham Knights is terrible, it still won't salt the earth for the film franchise the way a terrible movie would. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

9 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Snip

While I understand and agree with your logic, keep in mind that these are suits, often out of touch with reality, that are making these decisions. 

Plus, they're still putting (comparatively small) money into it until it starts to sell on day 1.  Someone might decide to "cut losses" and can it at 90% completion just because they think it's a money saving idea

1 hour ago, steel6burgh said:

Because finished games never get cancelled...
https://www.cbr.com/games-cancelled-already-finished/

Also this:
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/802-nba-elite-11

15 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

While I understand and agree with your logic, keep in mind that these are suits, often out of touch with reality, that are making these decisions. 

Plus, they're still putting (comparatively small) money into it until it starts to sell on day 1.  Someone might decide to "cut losses" and can it at 90% completion just because they think it's a money saving idea

I agree it happens on occasion just don't think with the particular game it's gonna happen.    I think the game should come close to the break even point or flirt with profitability but we'll, see it's strange days we're living in.  I probably do over estimate a companies value of 50 plus million these days, it's a CEO yearly salary, just doesn't mean as much as it use to.