Suggestion: Allow hiding of spam games

I don't like rainy days and the guy next door is stupid too. I want a filter so I don't have to see the rain and the guy anymore.

Blocking out the things you don't like in life would make things easier, but that's just not life. Being an adult means being able to deal with such things.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, woggly4 said:

First part: Totally agree. I often see thumbnails, trophy or header images of new games that catch my curiosity just to find out it's just another ez-pez game. And I would really like to hide them from the "new games" list to don't miss out on actual good (indie) games.

Second part: Why? What would be the point of that? I, personally, don't hide any game because I picture my trophy log as a real log of all my trophies. I want to see it unfiltered and I would like to keep it that way for the public. Just because someone doesn't like a certain game (doesn't matter if it's easy, a stack or AAA) they shouldn't be able to change my profile, even if it's only for them. You can always think to yourself "what is wrong with you, how can you play such game" but you do you, if you like playing it or just want to mindlessly increase a virtual counter, do it, and show it to the public. I can judge or admire you, doesn't matter. But if the player decides to show a trophy or game in their list it should be seen by everyone. If you don't like it, leave their profile.

There's a pretty good reason IMO as I've been in this situation quite a few time.

A player join my session about a trophy that will be quite hard, where you need skill and communication.

I'm checking his profile real quick : 200+ platinum

"Okay, he seems like a great player"

Then, in game, I discover he's not. Just, absolutely not.

Then, I discover later that those 200+ platinum were, in fact, 99% of those shitty games.

Hence, that's why I think that hiding those plats and reflect it on the profile total plats/PSN number is a really, really great idea.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DarkSuperT said:

A player join my session about a trophy that will be quite hard, where you need skill and communication.

I'm checking his profile real quick : 200+ platinum

"Okay, he seems like a great player"

Then, in game, I discover he's not. Just, absolutely not.

Then, I discover later that those 200+ platinum were, in fact, 99% of those shitty games.

Hence, that's why I think that hiding those plats and reflect it on the profile total plats/PSN number is a really, really great idea.

Okay but when you're looking at their profile to check the platinum count you could also check their games. If the player only plays racing games and you're looking for boosting a shooter it might be the same situation, even if that player only plays AAA games.

2 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I hear you people, but I'm not sure this can be done. For example, from the current front page, there are 5 shovelware "games" that don't have developer/publisher info available right now:

dekyZfq.png

Cheers for weighing in, and once again I love your work, it's fantastic!

I'm hoping that over time the games get metadata added, but it'll just take some time - I think it's a community team that sorts out metadata, so I guess they need a little time to do it. Certainly this race between getting metadata added and getting bumped off the new trophy lists page makes this aspect of it a little impractical, but I think the rest of the feature request doesn't rely on metadata being added quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I hear you people, but I'm not sure this can be done. For example, from the current front page, there are 5 shovelware "games" that don't have developer/publisher info available right now:

Probably because they were just added to PSNP. I wonder how long it takes for it to be updated, and whether it’s manually done or automatic. Not sure where PSNP sources its entries, but it’s weird that it can’t grab metadata alongside the initial game entry. 

At the very least, a filter can grab some shovelware entries, but not all during the point that it matters, when it’s in the New Trophy List panel. 

Probably by the time those entries are properly updated and filtered, they’ve already been pushed out by newer games, thus not posing as an issue anymore anyways. 

What an ordeal lol. 

2 minutes ago, Elliot said:

Cheers for weighing in, and once again I love your work, it's fantastic!

I'm hoping that over time the games get metadata added, but it'll just take some time - I think it's a community team that sorts out metadata, so I guess they need a little time to do it. Certainly this race between getting metadata added and getting bumped off the new trophy lists page makes this aspect of it a little impractical, but I think the rest of the feature request doesn't rely on metadata being added quickly.

This data is loaded automatically from IGDB, but for example "The Giraffe G" is currently not even associated with Webnetic:

https://www.igdb.com/games/the-giraffe-g

@SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki Exactly, so I'm not sure this can be solved very easily.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HusKy said:

This data is loaded automatically from IGDB, but for example "The Giraffe G" is currently not even associated with Webnetic:

https://www.igdb.com/games/the-giraffe-g

@SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki Exactly, so I'm not sure this can be solved very easily.

Maybe games without metadata can be trigger as a shovelware ?

I don't know, is it common for real games to be on the site without metadata ?

5 minutes ago, DarkSuperT said:

Maybe games without metadata can be trigger as a shovelware ?

Now I think this sets up a dangerous precedent because who really decides what’s shovelware and what’s not? I think it should be toggle-able for the user clientside. 

Maybe we can also have a “hide this game” tickbox context menu alongside a filter? 

@HusKy If you were to hide a game from the “New Trophy Lists” panel, does the last previous game that was just ejected end up back in the panel? Or does hiding a game just mean the panel now has one less total game on it?

I'll hold my tongue regarding the controvery and bickering, as much as I'd love to reply, absolutely nothing would be gained from it.

Regarding the suggestion, I am very biased against these "games" so I'm all for it. I don't think I'd use it myself, as I'd love to see profiles full of these "games" for my own reason, but just having the ability to filter then would be a great thing, mainly for the front page as that thing gets flooded by garbage after garbage that is just ripe for "trophy hunting" by some folks.

I'm afraid that we'll be at another impass here and the best we can hope is for this to become a PSNP+ feature. As to what @HusKy said, I am not entirely sure if the game information is fully carried from IGDB by the site or if it requires a manual entry from some of the Game Informaiton Team members. I have spoken to a few of them and if recall they have to at least check each entry to make sure what is being shown is accurate.

• Like 1

I don’t agree with hiding small game shovelling trophies (this can affect new smaller developers publishing their first game etx) but a profile “score” based on rarity would solve 2 arguments, content on the profile so you can skip profiles filled with quick plats  and a rarity leaderboard and/or score on the profile.

Expect “Sly’s website” response though from an unnamed mod though regarding this…

Edited by amurnin100
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

are people really using that part of this site as their way of finding out about new games? :hmm:

It’s more that, it allows people to know when a specific game they’re waiting for has hit Sony’s servers. 

For example, I’m waiting for Cult of the Lamb’s trophies to show up. That part of the site would normally let me know when that info is finally up, if it wasn’t flooded with garbage shovelware. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

It’s more that, it allows people to know when a specific game they’re waiting for has hit Sony’s servers. 

For example, I’m waiting for Cult of the Lamb’s trophies to show up. That part of the site would normally let me know when that info is finally up, if it wasn’t flooded with garbage shovelware. 

Just now, HusKy said:

No, I think most people use it to discover new trophy lists being published. At least they used to.

Ah - fair play - I had forgotten that sometimes lists don't go up at the same time as the games themselves.

Fair points!

How would we define spam games?

Those puzzle games look like decent puzzle games just with easy trophies.

And not all Ratalaka games are spam games, stuff like long live the queen. Easy trophies but ive played that game on PC, its a genuinely fun game. If I got that plat easy or not I wouldn't want to filter it out.

• Like 1