Joker: Folie à Deux | Harley Quinn first look

LastMinuteSavior

First look at Lady Gaga and Joaquin Phoenix in Joker: Folie à Deux:

Fo-gVh4XoAAMKNR?format=jpg&name=large

--- Previous content ---

"Lady Gaga has made it official. She’ll be starring opposite Joaquin Phoenix in director Todd Phillips’ sequel to Joker, the Oscar-winning, $1 billion-grossing, 2019 Warner Bros. hit based on the DC villain. In June, The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that the musician was in early talks to join the sequel, which will be a musical.

On Thursday, Gaga took to her Twitter account to raise the curtain on her appearance in Joker 2 — now called Joker: Folie à deux — alongside Phoenix with a short animated teaser.

Phillips has been writing the script with Joker co-writer Scott Silver and Warner Bros. has given a green light. Warner Bros. has set an Oct. 4, 2024 release date.

Details on Gaga’s character are still under wraps. Joker is known for his on-and-off-again abusive relationship with Harley Quinn, his psychiatrist at the Arkham Asylum mental institution who falls in love with him and becomes his sidekick and partner in crime.

Phillips previously produced A Star Is Born, the 2018 remake that starred Joker producer Bradley Cooper and Gaga.

It is unclear whether Phillips and company are using other DC characters or striking out on their own, as they did in many instances with the first movie."

I'm down for a Stefani Germanotta take on the infamous Harleen Quinzel, but... a musical? I don't know how I feel about that.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

I wonder how the sequel will work out 

Apparently, just like the first movie was inspired by Scorsese's Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, this one will be heavily influenced by Scorsese's New York, New York, a 1977 musical starring Robert De Niro and Liza Minnelli.

MV5BMTE5NzM1MDEwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODUw

Joker and Harley will find themselves in Arkham Asylum and music will come into play as a form of therapy for mental illness.

Parts of it will be real, other times it will be a figment of their broken minds, just like we saw happening with Arthur Fleck in the original, and Harley will probaby suffer from delusional disorder too.

So, it sounds very much like a continuation of what we got with Joker

U5GHeHGQRyRizZRLVyLzKS-1200-80.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this goes- the first movie would have worked as a standalone just fine but they're really going all in on the unusual aspects of this, could be great!

I know exactly how this discussion is gonna go; When the first look and trailers for Joker dropped the forums were flooded with the usual basic "ugh not interested, looks bad etc" takes but then it was DC's most critically-acclaimed film and one of the few to make over a billion. 

• Like 2

@Stan Lee I'm actually more curious about this one than I was about Joker. I'm curious to see Arthur Fleck interact with a similarly complex and powerful character as I'm hoping this Harley will be.

The premise seems interesting and from what she showed in previous roles, I think Gaga might hold her own alongside Phoenix.

It all hinges on the execution. But I doubt Joaquin Phoenix would be on board if the movie lacked potential.

• Like 1

She looks weird enough. I'm very conflicted about this movie. Musicals... I don't like them, I don't watch them, they make no sense to me, so I don't even try to learn to appreciate them. I realize the fact that if I'd actually watch some good musicals, I might end up liking some of them. Still, it's a musical. 

Then again, after Joker exceeding my expectations, it being, to a certain degree, very personal to me in some ways and Phoenix being one of the best true actors ever, I'm weirdly optimistic and I assume I'll like the movie, even if I end up not liking the formula.