Is the PlayStation 3 nostalgic to you?

blue_blur_98

With the PS3's last first-party exclusives turning a decade old next year, I have to wonder; how many of this site's users consider the console to be nostalgic? Has it already gotten to the point where you look back at the console with fond memories from the past, or is it still not old enough for you to consider it "retro"?

Additionally, if you would like to share some nostalgic PS3 memories in this thread, feel free to do so.

• Like 4

Actually, it's been long enough since the heyday of the PS3 that under normal circumstances, I probably would feel nostalgic - I'd say that amount of time was probably how long it took for me to feel a bit of nostalgia about the PSOne or PS2...

...but in the case of the PS3, it's not really the same, as a lot of the games I would feel nostalgic about have had remasters / ports to PS4 in the intervening time. 

I don't take issue with that (of course, since if I did, I wouldn't play them!) but I do think that has sort of curtailed nostalgia for that generation a bit.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Not really. It's hard to be nostalgic for something that never really went away. Trophies have created a consistent reason to fairly regularly go back to the system. And remaster have created a way to experience the games fairly regularly, so that they don't ever really become forgotten or missed. 

• Like 1

I actually made a lengthy status update kinda about this recently.

It definitely feels like the PS3 and other games from its era have gotten that distinct "feel" for them, the "ah yes, this is THIS generation" feel - Environmental destruction, lots of rather drab and gritty colour palettes, lots of realistic graphics style games had objects with a "shiny" or metallic look to them, many playable protagonists were kinda boring self-insert-type characters that lacked personality, etc.

I have mixed feelings about the 7th gen, but yes, I would say it's started to feel nostalgic for me now, at least the first half of it (2005-2009 or so). I still remember playing LittleBigPlanet for the first time in 2008, and being blown away by the graphics - the textures looked so real, like there was barely any difference between general household items and arts 'n crafts, and the imitations in the game. Of course, the graphics have aged now, but I think it was the first time throughout my decade prior of gaming that I legitimately felt like the graphics were "realistic".

There were a lot of great games from that gen I have fond memories of, and others less so... It was definitely kind of a rollercoaster of a console generation, with a lot of my favourite games actually being handheld ones (particularly the DS). There were motion controls with the Wii (and PS3, to a lesser extent), memory cards were now a thing of the past, wireless controllers (which blew my mind at the time, especially how they never seemed to disconnect and had amazing range), online gaming really started to kick off, digital games on home consoles became a thing, giving way to a lot of interesting indie and "Xbox arcade" games. While it may not be one of my favourite generations, it'll definitely be one of the most memorable for me in terms of all the innovations and advancements that we take for granted nowadays.

• Like 2

It's hard to feel nostalgic about a system that I'm still actively using. Plus, I got my PS3 at the tail end of that generation when the PS4 had already hit the market, so it was outdated even back then. I would probably feel differently if I got a PS3 back in 2009 or something and played it throughout my teens, but that was my experience with the Xbox 360 instead. That's the console I look back fondly on the most as I have a lot of good memories from that time, playing stuff like Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty online. It also helps that I haven't touched an Xbox 360 (or any Xbox for that matter) since 2013. I've played a lot of great games on PS3, but it's mostly been singleplayer stuff that was many years old by the time I got around to it, so it doesn't feel the same.

• Like 3

Not really.

I liked liked my PlayStation 3 while I used it, and there were several things it did well. The PlayStation 3 era also had a ton of cool, quirky games, i.e., Rain, Super Rub 'a' Dub, Tokyo Jungle, The Unfinished Swan, Flower, Journey, echochrome, Noby Noby Boy, etc. that really gave it an identity all its own. That said though, it also followed the PlayStation 2, which is one of my favorite consoles ever, and the PlayStation 3, in my opinion, never lived up to the heights reached by its predecessor.

Additionally, the system was also kind of a pain to develop for, so it definitely rubbed a lot of developers the wrong way. All in all however, I found it to be the most "meh" of Sony's console releases. The PS1, PS2, PS4, PS5, PSP, and PSVita, all had things that really stood out to me, but the PS3 really just kind of occupied a spot in time. It was never a bad system, but it was never truly great in my experience. 

Edited by Karnacharya
Clarity
  • Like 1

ps3 feels more like a transitionary generation between the mostly offline of ps2 era and earlier and the fully online embraced consoles of today. At the beginning we had to deal with worse online, no cross game voice chat(something the 360 had), no trophies, not every game was available digitally and developers that struggled with cell architecture. But by the end we had playstation plus giving out free games(which microsoft followed suit and offered free games themselves), online gaming became mainstream,most games had a digital release and both 360 and ps3 having thier own unique issues(like 360 having multi disc games that are 1 disc on ps3, failed, attempts at copying the wii). In a lot of ways the ps4 was the better generation but i wont deny the ps3 did do a lot for what it was.

• Like 1

The console itself, no but the games on it for sure. I think Sony should just have a team in the background remastering all their old PS3 games into collections for the PS4 and hold it until there is a dry period and drop those games. I would gladly pay for a Resistance Trilogy Remaster, and an InFamous 1&2 Remaster. Could also do Killzone, Metal Gear Solid 4, Playstation All Stars (Although they should just do this again and commit to it being a complete Smash Clone).

• Like 2