Is the PlayStation 3 nostalgic to you?

blue_blur_98

I loved my PS3, but in retrospect, I feel it was a "lost" generation. 

Sure, it birthed many classic series, but thet mostly ran terribly bad, making going back to them today nigh impossible. 

Also, every game had a tacked on multiplayer mode, with the dreaded online trophies. 

The PS3 won’t be nostalgic to me because I didn’t own one back then. I was still playing on my PS2 years after the PS4 came out ? I don’t think I find the PS2 nostalgic either but maybe because I played it for wayyyy longer than I should have done.

The only gaming things I’m nostalgic about are the Megadrive, Gameboy, DS, Wii, certain PC games, this electronic chess set I could play against an AI because no other kid wanted to play chess and lights out! Who remembers that bad boy?! I think those are the only things where enough time has passed for me. 

I had a 360 as a kid and only switched over to the PS3 when I started trophy hunting so while the PS3 isn't nostalgic, many of the memories I have of the 360 were.

The time spent with friends on MW2, Black Ops, MW3, and Black Ops 2 were irreplacable. Luckily they're still friends and we talk regularly again after I got a gaming PC after college, but it was the thoughtless days spent away on COD are some of my fondest, most nostalgic memories...even if at the time I was a mindless middle/early high schooler with rage issues lmao

• Like 2

I still use mine often, more than my PS5.

A high majority of games from that generation feel complete and packed. Despite the limitations and issues with most of the games from back then, they entertain and remind me of my most nostalgic periods playing with friends and being addicted to gaming. Current gen hasn't come anywhere near hitting that sweet point for me personally, and I doubt it ever will with the standards of games being developed within the last five years or so.

• Like 2

Partially as I still play it to this day when I can.

For games I have not played in a long time like TESIV: Oblivion and Killzone 3 MP I definitely have nostalgia. God please give us an Oblivion Remaster!

Typically I am most nostalgic for PS1, PS2, Gameboy Color/ Advance games. They are what I was playing during my most formative years and are the deepest ingrained in me.

Just a little bit, when i compare the games to recent games. There are just some games on there that were experimental and so much fun. Skate 3, Brutal Legend and Driver SF i can play for hours without going for trophies because its so much fun. I can really feel the developers put their soul into it even if they did not have the biggest budget. Nowadays gaming is much more serious and no penny is wasted on anything that is not a garanteed money maker.

Kind of since I still occasionally use mine. I have lots of great memories with my PS3 like when I invited my friends over to play Black Ops 2 and playing MGS4 in the morning right before school.

There are a bunch of stuff that I love about the system like startup sound (definitely makes me feel nostalgic) and the XMB menu, which imo was way more aesthetically pleasing than the PS4's menu. That said, I definitely won't miss the Dual Shock 3.

Wouldn't call it necessary nostalgic, but I do have very fond memories of my time with PS3, it made my teenage years so much better.

For me nostalgic would be the times I spent with PS2 and anything before that, mainly due to being a kid without any worries in the world.

Edited by Ninjise

Yes and no. The console is already 16 years old and it was my introduction to trophy hunting. I still renember the two games that our first PS3 (had to share it with my brothers) had: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Assassins Creed. The first game i buyed for it was Dante's Inferno (also, my first plat). Played so many good games there (and still do). Also, i'm planning on boosting the MP mode of those with alive servers and plan on getting the 100% of the trophy list or the most i can (in case it has unobtainable ones) of any game i have, and that means "a lot of incomplete/not started games". So, no retirement for this one (already have my second PS3).

Sort of. Miss many games from ps3 like Littlebigplanet, Dead Space, Virtua Fighter, Tekken 6 etc. Would use other word for it though than nostalgic. Very unique console in fact.

Edited by Wikkibur
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:43 AM, Spider-Man916 said:

Nah.  You don't sound old.  Nostalgic for me is the Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and Donkey Kong, Jr. in the arcades.

Well, now that I wrote that, I guess I am old. 

OMG, I spent way too much time on our family's Commodore 128. A mate's older brother also had an Amiga 500 and since I now have both machines, I need to fix them up and get them running. The Amiga is something I'd really like to explore more. What I really love about it too is that it's so versatile so if I wanted to, I could run Atari ST and 68k era Mac stuff on it aswell although I might need an accelerator just to be sure. Did I mention that I love Commodore stuff? :) That said we also had a ZX Spectrum which is a great machine too. I'm really into retro and there are some other machines I'd like to get my hands on too. OK, blabbering over.

Edited by WeepingScorpion
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 0:10 AM, ARIXANDRE said:

I loved my PS3, but in retrospect, I feel it was a "lost" generation. 

Sure, it birthed many classic series, but thet mostly ran terribly bad, making going back to them today nigh impossible. 

Also, every game had a tacked on multiplayer mode, with the dreaded online trophies. 

PS 1 and PS2 were wayyyyy better since they didn't have those tacked on MP trophies.....oh, wait. 

• Like 2