Is the PlayStation 3 nostalgic to you?

blue_blur_98

No. Besides its copious and frankly embarrassing technical limitations, it's the one console I've owned that just feels like a product; a means to an end, if you will. There's no soul to it. If it weren't for the fact that knowledge of its technical decrepitude isn't widely disseminated for whatever reason, I think I would have bought a 360, whose power still holds up impressively to this day. And I have no innate fondness for Xbox, so that tells you a lot right there.

Best I can say is, the DS3 is the best controller in the PS family. All the franchises that died a death or died aborning on the platform should clue you into something. If they were to remaster the four-five exclusives worth keeping it around for on this very day, I'd put it up on eBay within ten minutes. Well, maybe not. I'm lazy. But it's the principle of the thing, you know.

Still play mine regularly, and recently picked up some classic games that I had never played before (Ezio Trilogy, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Skyrim and a couple more).

Have about 10 PS3 games left to platinum, then will look at getting a PS5 and resubscribing to PS Plus :) 

I don't think it is nostalgic as a PS1 or 2, as it doesn't have something like the iconic startup sounds of the prior two, that is an immediate reaction that even non owners are aware of. It does the great trophy pop sound tho which is so much better than the quiet PS4 one.

For me personally, getting a PS3 in 2009 at 10/11, right as MW2 came out and just first experience of online gaming was incredible for me. Hearing some dude from Brazil blast Black Eyes Peas through a shitty headset, and everyone throwing fun insults at each other was hilarious. I guess that era of gaming (online, the start of youtube and game capture, console wars) is more nostalgic than the physical consoles of PS3 and Xbox 360 themselves.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

The PS3 was the first console that made me love games more than I already did. and it was the first console that i experienced online gaming on.

Before the PS3 i had a PS2 and some games on a IPad i used to have but the online aspect of games on PS3 really changed it all for me.

It was my first experience with online games and meeting people that loved gaming as much as I did, games like Playstation Home, Littlebigplanet 2, Modnation Racers, I have so many fond memories from the online section of these games and made many friends.

(All which haven’t logged in for years but I’m grateful for the time with them)

And trophies of course, it’s where my love for trophy hunting started.

Online aside, the generational jump was huge and there are so so many good games even without a online mode.

The multifunction aspects of the console was a huge thing at the time and still is if you ask me. 

The startup sound, enough said.

This might not exactly define the PS3 but it’s a feature that I have yet to see anywhere: the set timezone feature, showing the earth and showing the exact place where you select the timezone. Hadn’t seen anything like it and still haven’t! 

Also the life with PlayStation application was really cool to me at the time.

The PS3 was a huge part of my childhood and the nostalgia of it is unreal for me so the answer to your question: Absolutely Yes.

Edited by samijon2004
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 11:24 AM, KenjiCBZ said:

I still use it almost daily, so no.

God damn bro

good for you

i havent touched mine since the killzone servers went down

i really gota sort through my backlog some time and see what ill keep and what ill delete, this day in age, everything i once purchased was just a kind donation to devs

• Like 1

Not really. Having owned consoles since the earliest days of the industry, it's certainly not a first. Games felt significantly slower in the PS3 generation.

But the biggest gripe was that this was my first exposure to patches, and truly broken games. Oh, I know games have been broken in the past, but rarely have my big-budget, AAA purchases needed so much after-purchase patching up (looking at you, PS3 Skyrim that still doesn't work well).

It's memorable for giving me Souls games, and for getting me to stop buying games day 1, except in the most exceptional of circumstances.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

It was my first 'hardcore' console after being a pc player for 2 decades. With 'hardcore', I mean that I had ps1, psp and x360 before but, somehow, I played them quite casually, from time to time.

But somehow I felt really masochistic. I prayed to the old and new gods.

- oh gods pls gimme pain in vein. Hardest game evaer but at least AA budget looking, with a gameplay I can enjoy.

- pls gods

- ask and will be given. Play demons souls. Ppl say it rox. Grab a ps3 u masterrace loser, pcs are for word and excel lol

- wait aren't you the sony president...?

shuhei yoshida: it doesn't matter besides you're a friggin' agnostic aren't you!!!!

And so I played and played and the PS environment left my ass broke because I played too many games.

But my old ps3 broke. And I bought a 2nd hand... and its lector broke. So now I can't play it's physical games. Why. Is this because I was a pc gamer?? Is this why life is punishing me?? I'd like a new one. A NEW one. Not another 2nd hand one that breaks because the guy that fixed it used chewed gum in order for it to resist a few hours more.

Shuhei you damn b*stard I hate you. But demons souls, the original one, rox.

Since i got all my Consoles and Handhelds as a Kid from prestent / gifts, the Playstation 3 wasthe first one i have buyed myself.

No one would spend the crazy 599.- Sony was willing for this Monster who was a entire PS2 and LINUX PC Inside :D

Not to mention i was one of the first one in my Village to have a Blu-ray Player in the House and a brand new LCD TV....

...anyway i play sometimes on it for Clean up or Backlog Events so it feels kinda retro and nostalgic but im playing still on it.

Back to PS2 or PS1 would giving me that feeling for sure.

• Like 1

It is not nostalgic, but I loved playing on my PS3 slim, I got it in early 2012 but really started getting into it only in 2013 and up till ~2018 it was my main platform. I loved coming home from work and turning it on with DS3. I loved hunting PS3 trophies periodically, now I cringe at this hobby, you would have to pay me. I would say that my PS2-PS3 era which was 2011-2018 was my best years in gaming. Nowadays I have less time for gaming and I'm older with less energy for games. PS4 is nice but I recently upgraded my PC. PS2 and PS3 are sitting on my shelves and reminding me of the glory days.

• Like 1

Not really. I even played Persona 3 FES (the best version of P3) in a slim Ps3 the other day, after seeing the disaster that is P3 Portable's port for the Ps4. So, I still have it and I use it at least once per month. It's worth noting however that I got a Ps3 very late, like 6-7 years after its initial release, right when the first Ps4 was released. That's probably why I can't feel nostalgic about it.

If we are talking "truly nostalgic" that takes me back to GBA for handhelds, a Windows 95 PC with Road Rash 95, and the Super Nintendo for consoles (with Super Mario World and Contra 3).

The years when I was deepest into gaming were the Ps2 years (with Final Fantasy X and others) when I was a teenager though. So, in the long-term, Ps2 is probably going to be the only console that would make me feel like "those were the days" gaming-wise. Generally, it will be what you used the most as a kid or during your teen years.

• Like 2

Nah, 2007-09 I was a high school junior/senior and I had too many other things going on to be spending much time gaming. Same with my early college years, it wasn't until my later college years did I really get into the PS3 and by that time, I was too old to be nostalgic for it. I do love the system and the games though for it especially these days as I find myself going back to the PS3 era more than ever since most modern games kinda suck now. 

Definitely more nostalgic for the PS2 as that was more the era of my childhood. The N64 as well. Those were the 2 I mainly played as a kid and almost all of my childhood gaming memories are on one of those 2 consoles. A lot of Midnight Club II and other PS2 racing games and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and Underground. 

• Like 1

It's interesting that people thing nostalgia can only mean childhood. 

I grew up playing Atari, Calecovision, Intellivision, NES, Sega Genesis etc. I don't feel a lot of nostalgia for them, they were fun and I still enjoy the games to some extent, but once I graduated HS I moved on to more important things. Fast forward nearly 20 years and I picked up a 360, and not long after, a PS3. These systems came at a time in my life I needed them. They were also way beyond anything I'd experienced before. I had so much fun with nearly every game I played. Even though I was in my latter 30's when I got them, those 2 consoles bring a great feeling of nostalgia. I think it was a different kind of excitement that they take me back to. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely so. In fact for years I regretted selling my original PS3 because I had so many fond memories of it. I finally got a new PS3 for my birthday last year and I am gradually rebuilding my collection of games for it. 

My very first game I ever played for it was on my uncle's PS3 in 2008, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I became a diehard Uncharted fan for life.

• Like 3

I felt a little buzz when I turned one on for the first time in 10 years but for me real nostalgia is Master system, genesis, Nes, Snes, N64, Gameboy, PS 1, PS2, Gamecube. They're the ones I had growing up and still hold fond memories of playing. Back then there wasn't a stress to complete games or even have loads of games. My N64 and Gameboy had the biggest collection with maybe 30 games for N64 and just pokemon for my GB but idk, felt like games had better replay value then but maybe it's the small library compared to now having probably 600 including ones I haven't started yet and PS Plus premium to choose from. 

For me the more games I own the less nostalgia I feel for the console because I can barely remember all the games I've played and the times playing them compared to beating the elite 4 like 50 times or playing goldeneye with mates. Also as an adult I can play as little or as much as I choose where as a kid there was a limit so I valued my time playing games a lot more. 

• 4 months later...