Best trophy list ever

FilooGaroo

8 hours ago, Akrioz said:

It is an interesting list to take on. But my desire to play faded out after I've done almost everything but speedrun and ascension. Honestly, I wish I could just play on ascension 20 from the beginning. It takes too long to get there. 

For me Ascension was not to bad - some of the misc trophy are so crazy so get ?

I agree, the trophy list is very well made and challenging.

I only need to beat the heart with the 3 main characters to be done but it is very hard. For the other trophies, I've found strategies to do them but for beating the heart there is no real strategy I think.

Playing and learning the cards builds are the only way to do it I think ...

Edited by raphi_boss67
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Seriously? Neon trophy is a definition of how not to design trophies.

I beat ascension 20, did everything I needed in the game, the game is easy for me, and have no secrets anymore BUT

I NEED TO GRIND, and grind, and grind, and grind to find the right combination of items. Not one of many combinations. NO! One right combination! Sometimes I have one card, sometimes two, but never the whole pack, so I need to play and play and play waiting for RNG to kick in. 

I hate the game right now. Had like 200h of fun, and now it's plain boring, but I can't stop because of this trophy. And it's not my fault, because I play well. It's all RNG.

What a waste.

Interesting take. And congratulations on the platinum! ? I’ve heard loads of people say this game is amazing, and every time I read a post like yours @FilooGaroo I am struck with the urge to check it out. But I was under a different impression here.. I thought this trophy list was actually supposed to be a bit of a nightmare?

I do agree that it’s always nice to see a well designed and/or thoughtful trophy list, something a bit out of the norm that encourages the player to step out of their comfort zone a bit, discover new ways to play the game, new strategies to utilize etc.

My issue with Slay the Spire up to this point is that it appears (at least with my limited knowledge of the game) that there is a really heavy degree of RNG involved with a lot of the trophy requirements, and that is something that concerns me. I have had pretty rotten luck with RNG based trophies in the past, and with such a large luck based component to this game I would be concerned that it could actually suck all the fun out of the experience for me, like @NieSwiety above. At least where it concerns hunting the trophies.

I will still check this one out someday now that I got it on PS+. It’s too highly rated and universally praised to pass up just because of some potentially shitty trophies. But I can’t deny that I’ve passed up on it a few times in favour of others games in my backlog because of these concerns. 

• Like 4

I agree - an excellent game, and a great trophy list to boot!

If you enjoyed it, I’d highly recommend checking out Griftlands - it’s another deckbuilder that gives Slay the Spire a run for it’s money in terms of enjoyment - and has a similarly esoteric and interesting trophy list, with some similarly unusual challenges involved in unlocking them!

24 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

My issue with Slay the Spire up to this point is that it appears (at least with my limited knowledge of the game) that there is a really heavy degree of RNG involved with a lot of the trophy requirements, and that is something that concerns me. I have had pretty rotten luck with RNG based trophies in the past, and with such a large luck based component to this game I would be concerned that it could actually suck all the fun out of the experience for me, like @NieSwiety above. At least where it concerns hunting the trophies.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the RNG - there is a good dollop of RNG involved, but really that’s the genre.

Deckbuilders are inherently RNG based, but the meat of the gameplay is really in coming up with on-the-fly strategies and smart combinations to deal with the RNG elements that get thrown your way.

That’s a big part of mastering these games, and the main reason why they are so variable and so compulsive - the RNG elements mean that no run is ever the same, but as you experience more and more different scenarios, you figure out more and more ways to guard against different things, and really feel yourself getting better over time!

Obviously, that’s not going to appeal to everyone - but for sure I’d recommend Slay the Spire as a perfect “suck it and see” first Deckbuilder to test if it’s your thing or not…

…it was the first one I tried, and pretty much turned me into a Deckbuilding fan in one fell swoop!

I can’t recall a single game that has so quickly turned me on to a whole new genre than this one!

• Like 4

@NieSwiety, i did not experience your pain of the non luck - hopefully you will have it soon! 

@dieselmanchild, yes rng is clearly there - but i never found it frustrating - at the opposite - finding sometime some new great combo - avoiding some card - looove it. Trophies are demanding yes - rng yes - but clearly allow us to dig more in the game.

in fact - could have be a dollar plat - finishing the game with all caracters and i would have missed 99% of the deep gameplay \ core of the game

@BLOODMONEY01, ilove your reviews here - thks for the recommandation of grifland ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the RNG - there is a good dollop of RNG involved, but really that’s the genre.

Deckbuilders are inherently RNG based, but the meat of the gameplay is really in coming up with on-the-fly strategies and smart combinations to deal with the RNG elements that get thrown your way.

That’s a big part of mastering these games, and the main reason why they are so variable and so compulsive - the RNG elements mean that no run is ever the same, but as you experience more and more different scenarios, you figure out more and more ways to guard against different things, and really feel yourself getting better over time!

Obviously, that’s not going to appeal to everyone - but for sure I’d recommend Slay the Spire as a perfect “suck it and see” first Deckbuilder to test if it’s your thing or not…

…it was the first one I tried, and pretty much turned me into a Deckbuilding fan in one fell swoop!

I can’t recall a single game that has so quickly turned me on to a whole new genre than this one!

That was a fantastic response DrBloodmoney! I really hadn’t thought of it this way but the way you describe the gameplay loop makes perfect sense, and sounds really fun too. ?

I have never played a deckbuilding game or any other strategy card game at this point in time. The closest thing I’ve experienced is probably Gwent from The Witcher 3 (lol) but I found that loop of collecting, learning, and watching my skills improve over time to be thoroughly enjoyable, not to mention addictive.

I always enjoy exploring new genres, and with the way everyone heaps praise on this game I’m starting to feel like I’m missing out! I’ll have to give this one a shot sooner rather than later. It will probably just be one of those games where I put the trophies out of my mind to start, and wait until it gets it’s hooks in me. Thank you for the excellent response.

18 minutes ago, FilooGaroo said:yes

the rng is clearly there - but i never found it frustrating - at the opposite - finding sometime some new great combo - avoiding some card - looove it. Trophies are demanding yes - rng yes - but clearly allow us to dig more in the game.

in fact - could have be a dollar plat - finishing the game with all caracters and i would have missed 99% of the deep gameplay \ core of the game

That’s awesome to hear, it sounds like a great experience and fun platinum. You definitely make me want to check it out. You sure you don’t work for the developers? ?

• Like 1

I put 20 hours or so in and could never beat the game lol. The only time I cleared a run was on a daily challenge or something with a character I didn't have unlocked normally. The game itself is great but some of those boss fights are just so ridiculous. You have to know exactly how to tackle it or you're done. Not really a fan of that, feel like every boss should be unique and strong, but some of them were way too strong/cheap. I think one straight up had an attack that built up over time and if you didn't beat him in X turns he would just one shot you, but X didn't feel very fair there? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Needs a little bit of tuning IMO.

Edited by ChibsSoA

5 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

I put 20 hours or so in and could never beat the game lol. The only time I cleared a run was on a daily challenge or something with a character I didn't have unlocked normally. The game itself is great but some of those boss fights are just so ridiculous. You have to know exactly how to tackle it or you're done. Not really a fan of that, feel like every boss should be unique and strong, but some of them were way too strong/cheap. I think one straight up had an attack that built up over time and if you didn't beat him in X turns he would just one shot you, but X didn't feel very fair there? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Needs a little bit of tuning IMO.

I can see how some of the bosses may feel brutal at first, when you're only learning the game (20 hours is not much in this game), but after a certain number of runs you'll learn the attack patterns (at least for the bosses) and develop an awareness how to mitigate them. Also, each time you start an act, you see immediately which boss you'll be facing (well, one exception is A20 Act 3), and you have 15 floors (of collecting cards, relics, potions etc.) to make sure that you're prepared for the fight. Sure you can lose anyway, but that uncertainty (will I get strong enough in time?) is also the beauty of the game.

The specific boss you're referring to is hitting for 58 on turn 6 (at least on Ascencion 20) - each character has tons of ways how to deal with that attack, but should you happen to have the Incense Burner, you can set it to 0 in the preceding fight and you'll be intangible for the Hyper Beam attack ;) (now that I think about it, you may have been thinking about Act 1 Hexagost and the Inferno attack on turn 8 => so the Incense Burner at 4 before the fight). Of course most of the time you won't have the Incense Burner, but it's just one example (and if you're struggling, you can also look up attack patterns on wiki).

@dieselmanchild Don't think twice about starting the game - the chances are that you'll love it. But even though the speedrun record for the all achievements is below 3 hours, you'll likely need 100 hours (give or take) to finish it. One more great thing about it from the gameplay perspective is that you can play it in short sessions, say you only have 15 minutes, you can advance a couple of floors and save your progress, no need to finish the run, which is often very convenient. 

@DrBloodmoney Griftlands has been sitting in my backlog for well over a year now, I have to finally start it ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, det_gittes said:

@dieselmanchild Don't think twice about starting the game - the chances are that you'll love it. But even though the speedrun record for the all achievements is below 3 hours, you'll likely need 100 hours (give or take) to finish it. One more great thing about it from the gameplay perspective is that you can play it in short sessions, say you only have 15 minutes, you can advance a couple of floors and save your progress, no need to finish the run, which is often very convenient

It’s OK, I don’t mind the time commitment itself. I was far more worried about potentially being forced to spend all that time in deep prayers or sacrificing animals and small children to sate the super evil RNGesus and all the other malevolent Trophy Gods who enjoy watching us suffer. ?

That pick-up-and-play nature of the game you describe is extremely appealing to me as well and would certainly lessen any stress about obtaining trophies if they ended up being a problem. Depending on what I’m playing at the time, I often like to have a side project like this when I’m working on my main game (especially if it’s a longer one) to help break up long sessions, and Slay the Spire seems perfect for that sort of thing. It would make a good pick for the UR Clean Up event too!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

21 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

That’s awesome to hear, it sounds like a great experience and fun platinum. You definitely make me want to check it out. You sure you don’t work for the developers? 1f606.png

Looool no ???

Edited by FilooGaroo
Quote dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, dieselmanchild said:

It’s OK, I don’t mind the time commitment itself. I was far more worried about potentially being forced to spend all that time in deep prayers or sacrificing animals and small children to sate the super evil RNGesus and all the other malevolent Trophy Gods who enjoy watching us suffer. ?

That pick-up-and-play nature of the game you describe is extremely appealing to me as well and would certainly lessen any stress about obtaining trophies if they ended up being a problem. Depending on what I’m playing at the time, I often like to have a side project like this when I’m working on my main game (especially if it’s a longer one) to help break up long sessions, and Slay the Spire seems perfect for that sort of thing. It would make a good pick for the UR Clean Up event too!

It really was not that bad at all in my opinion and platting it was my favorite gaming experience in many years. If you enjoy rougelikes then the RNG won't bother you as there are many ways to complete every achievement, with the exception of neon and the donut trophies that (essentially) require a specific card. Everything else can be accomplished in many different ways. That keeps the replayability enjoyable as you are climbing to ascension 20, which can be a bit of a grind. If you are a skilled gamer (which looking at your profile it looks like you are), it is a super enjoyable plat that isn't very frustrating but still challenging. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, The_Real_T-Bomb said:

It really was not that bad at all in my opinion and platting it was my favorite gaming experience in many years. If you enjoy rougelikes then the RNG won't bother you as there are many ways to complete every achievement, with the exception of neon and the donut trophies that (essentially) require a specific card. Everything else can be accomplished in many different ways. That keeps the replayability enjoyable as you are climbing to ascension 20, which can be a bit of a grind. If you are a skilled gamer (which looking at your profile it looks like you are), it is a super enjoyable plat that isn't very frustrating but still challenging. 

It’s still in the backlog for me but one that I keep coming back to and considering picking up next. I will definitely get around to it one of these days though as I keep hearing great things about it, and I am just really interested in checking out such a different game. I’ve definitely got nothing on my list like Slay The Spire so I’m sure it would be quite a unique experience. Thanks for your opinion and congrats on getting the plat!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 5:29 PM, The_Real_T-Bomb said:

Congrats for your plat 🤗🤗🤗