Servers Have Now Closed

ResiGamer_28

On 14.08.2022 at 6:48 PM, RoastedPeanut said:

What was the state of the servers prior to the announcement?

Dead, nobody played that really. Even adding this to PS Extra didn't gave servers second life. 

No suprise they killed it if even Extra can't bring players to it. 

RIP, Killzone. Now only Killzone 1 on PS3 is obtainable.

I was very fortunate to be able to get all online done in KZSF and standalone Intercept done. I meant to go back to Mercenary but by then the requirements for Aces High was almost inhuman so KZM will join KZ2 and KZ3 on my list of unobtainables. Honestly, I really only have myself to blame, I shouldn't have started KZ2 and just focused on KZ3 alone and well, I had KZM since 2019. Oh, well, c'est la vie in a trophy hunter's life, I suppose.

Crossing fingers for a KZ remaster of some kind in the future, while I go and get Head in the Clouds in ACIII before that server shuts down. Might aswell just finish ACIVBF while I'm at it, I guess.

Edited by WeepingScorpion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WiktorM101 said:

Dead, nobody played that really. Even adding this to PS Extra didn't gave servers second life. 

No suprise they killed it if even Extra can't bring players to it. 

Mercenary was quite populated prior to the shutdown which is surprising.

There were more than a few idlers but I never struggled to find a game.

22 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Mercenary was quite populated prior to the shutdown which is surprising.

There were more than a few idlers but I never struggled to find a game.

I can't be sure but it looks like you got your first MP trophy afrer the announcement.

It's no surprising at all.

Shadow fall was on main page of popular games. Shutdowns often do that 

Edited by WiktorM101

I see both sides, frankly. In my humble opinion this is a problem I don't understand re: online trophies. A gamer friendly solution was discovered years ago by Electronic Arts (of all companies). Mass Effect 3 had trophies that could be unlocked online OR in single player mode as an alternative, with different requirements for each.

Great idea but never saw another game do this since.

Killzone: Shadowfall was a massive grind though, not surprised some didn't finish. I played it on and off for YEARS to get to 100%. Not a game you can really sprint to the finish line in 1 week...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

I see both sides, frankly. In my humble opinion this is a problem I don't understand re: online trophies. A gamer friendly solution was discovered years ago by Electronic Arts (of all companies). Mass Effect 3 had trophies that could be unlocked online OR in single player mode as an alternative, with different requirements for each.

Great idea but never saw another game do this since.

Killzone: Shadowfall was a massive grind though, not surprised some didn't finish. I played it on and off for YEARS to get to 100%. Not a game you can really sprint to the finish line in 1 week...

I haven’t seen you in ages man. Used to be more active a few years ago on the forums. 

Killzone Shadowfall was part of several games with a grindy online mode. A lot of trophy lists from 2008 to 2014 had very time consuming online in addition to a single player, which was a trend of the time. I’m glad trophy lists have largely done away with this.

To be safe, if people care about online (which truthfully, only a select few do, hence this hobby being niche) then the online trophies should be first priority. Then people can take as long as they want with the games.

• Like 3

On 12/08/2022 at 2:23 PM, HuntingFever said:

Offline botzone doesn't count for anything unfortunately :(. Whilst I do agree with you on every count, the sad fact is that trophy/achievement hunters only make up a tiny fraction of a fraction of the total user base for any given console so any threats of protests or legal action will be laughed at and ignored by the developers. Over the next year or 2, a lot more PS3 and early PS4/Vita games are going to lose their servers due to spiralling server maintenance costs and ever decreasing player bases so prioritise your remaining online trophies over everything else, before it's too late.

"....going to lose their servers due to spiralling server maintenance costs....."

Do you have this on good authority or is it just conjecture? Because it's a very scary claim to make. Not that I disagree with anything you've said. I completely agree with you and everyone here. It's just THAT specific sentence in your quote. Are costs for running old servers climbing with everything else in 2022?

Do you know this for a bonified FACT that someone in the know told you or maybe that's your line of work?

If you could elaborate for me/us? 

6 hours ago, Coody-Baroody said:

"....going to lose their servers due to spiralling server maintenance costs....."

Do you have this on good authority or is it just conjecture? Because it's a very scary claim to make. Not that I disagree with anything you've said. I completely agree with you and everyone here. It's just THAT specific sentence in your quote. Are costs for running old servers climbing with everything else in 2022?

Do you know this for a bonified FACT that someone in the know told you or maybe that's your line of work?

In the current world recession / high inflation world we are currently going through.

Whether it's food, gas or electricity, the price of pretty much everything is going up, why do you think servers wouldn't be the same?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Please leave the whataboutism out of these pages, thank you.

Or you can just ignore what some random person said regarding a "scary claim" and move on with your day.

23 hours ago, Coody-Baroody said:

Do the online when the option is still available for you. Make online trophies first priority if you're concerned about future games getting server shutdown.

• Like 1

It probably gets really murky depending on your respective country's consumer laws, but surely the merchant has an obligation to maintain the whole product the consumer paid for, which in this case includes multiplayer? The law has really struggled to keep up with technology and video games in general given how it's just constantly evolving in the way content is supplied or removed or monetised, but it took the slightest amount of scrutiny from a governing body to get lootboxes banned in Belgium as well as refunds on Steam. It'd be interesting to see if these practices would hold up. I'd wager in this case the solution would be a mandate to provide the option for peer to peer play to replace it. I don't really like this attitude of "Tough shit, you should have played it earlier", regardless.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

It probably gets really murky depending on your respective country's consumer laws, but surely the merchant has an obligation to maintain the whole product the consumer paid for, which in this case includes multiplayer? The law has really struggled to keep up with technology and video games in general given how it's just constantly evolving in the way content is supplied or removed or monetised, but it took the slightest amount of scrutiny from a governing body to get lootboxes banned in Belgium as well as refunds on Steam. It'd be interesting to see if these practices would hold up. I'd wager in this case the solution would be a mandate to provide the option for peer to peer play to replace it. I don't really like this attitude of "Tough shit, you should have played it earlier", regardless.

Loot boxes were likened to gambling.

Online servers aren't guaranteed forever.

It's covered in the fine print that no one bothers to read.  

No countries laws can force them to keep running servers at a loss indefinitely 

Edit

Patching in a P2P option also costs money. If any country were to try to force developers to do either, it wouldn't take long before said companies stop selling to those countries 

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I don't really like this attitude of "Tough shit, you should have played it earlier", regardless.

I don't like that attitude either.

The trouble is, if the servers had been shut in 6 years, or 9 years and not 8 years, we'd still be having this conversation no matter when the servers shut down.

This isn't like, a game that shut down suddenly without warning one day, or was a game that had a roadmap and was suddenly cancelled/abandoned months after release.

As I said in another thread somewhere, go back through your entire backlog right now and see what games you have that have online trophies.

Go get them out of the way while you still have the chance. Especially if they're on PS3 and Vita!!

8 years is longer than the entire PS4 console generation so I think Guerrilla Games or whoever is in charge of the servers, they have been more than generous with this game.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2022 at 10:29 AM, Heziip said:

Reading some of the comments across the last couple of days on how Guerilla should be threatened with legal actions, protests etc. for shutting down an 8 year old game with whatever notice they felt like is beyond cringe

Threatening with legal action is definitely too far but people have a right to complain at least.

Edited by BrettyBoy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Or you can just ignore what some random person said regarding a "scary claim" and move on with your day.

Do the online when the option is still available for you. Make online trophies first priority if you're concerned about future games getting server shutdown.

I don't know if you remember, but you weren't really able to move on when you called your mates "clowns" and claim it was pathetic because they were sad to see a server die. And most of all, decided to bring back a thread on Mercenary that was dead for 2 days... until you had the urge to call these people clowns.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bunshing said:

I don't know if you remember, but you weren't really able to move on when you called your mates "clowns" and claim it was pathetic because they were sad to see a server die. And most of all, decided to bring back a thread on Mercenary that was dead for 2 days... until you had the urge to call these people clowns.

I take an issue when people claim to threaten and/or boycott a company because of a decision they made regarding online servers. Also why in the hell should anybody care about someone like me bringing back a thread that was dead for two days? Two days to me at this point is like a few hours.

I'm not going to walk on eggshells just to try to appease or prevent some people from getting offended. I'm done with that shit. It's history now. I boosted the online trophies in Mercenary years ago and talked to people who were getting them also. So it was a good experience.

it annoys me when people moan about servers being shutdown and not having enough time to finish a game because of it, servers are open for years so surely if you really wanted it you would have done it in that time, people come rushing out of the woodwork (some probably weren't interested in the game until hearing about the server shutdown) if you want the online trophies so bad then start as soon as you hear about a shutdown

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LucasDragon570 said:

I came to take the opportunity to leave my "press F to pay respect" the Killzone series, because with the "new era" of Sony it will be in limbo along with Resistance, Gravity Rush, Driveclub, Sly Cooper, Infamous, etc.

Sad but true I hate Sony for this and many other devs that sit on great franchises and leave them to rot, what's the point especially these days when remasters are coming out for fun easily can throw out a trilogy for Killzone Resistance and others etc while working on a new entry into the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...

Guerilla Games could learn a thing or two from Ubisoft.. They've extended the majority of shutdowns for a further month.

Kinda gutted that I prioritised both Driver: San Franciso and Splinter Cell: Blacklist over this now, but c'est la vie - I never started it, so other than missing out on the experience, it doesn't affect me too much.