PS5 store now defaults to Best Sellers, sorts cheap Platinum games to bottom

Alos88

Sony will never really tackle this problem, cause it makes them good money. If they would change the system back to 315 points, trash games lose their only purpose of existing aka no one would buy this shit anymore. The reputation of the PSN store has to really suffer before anything would happen from Sony's side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geridian said:

Or people change the console environment and embrace Nintendo. No achievements/trophies = No trash platinum games.

You must not be too familiar with the switch e-shop. It has almost as much shovelware trash as the PS4 and it's almost always on sale so it clogs up the deals section

1 minute ago, majob said:

You must not be too familiar with the switch e-shop. It has almost as much shovelware trash as the PS4 and it's almost always on sale so it clogs up the deals section

Maybe you are right, but my thoughts are:
Who buys such types of games on the Switch, when the only reason on PlayStation consoles to buy such games is getting trophies as fast as possible.
Since Nintendo has no digital achievements/trophies for accounts, these is no reason to buy such games.

35 minutes ago, Geridian said:

Maybe you are right, but my thoughts are:
Who buys such types of games on the Switch, when the only reason on PlayStation consoles to buy such games is getting trophies as fast as possible.
Since Nintendo has no digital achievements/trophies for accounts, these is no reason to buy such games.

And yet people keep buying them on Switch so maybe the conclusion that people only do that for the trophies has a flawed premise?

Meh. Most people who would play these types of games would also be actively looking for them, and they could use sites like PSNProfiles to find the easy lists. The real losers here are small devs who are actually trying to make quality products and get their name out there. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

And yet people keep buying them on Switch so maybe the conclusion that people only do that for the trophies has a flawed premise?

I bet all sale numbers would say otherwise. Even IF you try out one "jumping game", you wouldn't buy a second one. Let alone buy the same game 6 times for different regions. The only purpose are the platinums.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

I bet all sale numbers would say otherwise. Even IF you try out one "jumping game", you wouldn't buy a second one. Let alone buy the same game 6 times for different regions. The only purpose are the platinums.

All someone has to do is purchase one of them once on Switch for that to not be logically sound. 

7 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

I don't get what you are saying.

Not your fault :)

8 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

This^.

Although you can find some games with the word jumping in the Nintendo eShop, you find 0 instance of games like Jumping Burrito or the Turbo version of them.

As an example: Some of the games found on the eShop (1//2)  have more playability as "Press X many time to get a platinum".

And because of nobody knows how well these games sell on the Nintendo eShop, writing something about the sale of these games is just speculation.

When something is really flawed, then it is the article OP mentioned.

Example:

Sony heard the angry community and looked into the issue. 

Nice quote, but with 0 reference to anything Sony published somewhere. So it just speculation.

7 hours ago, gernboes said:

Or just play on whatever system you want and do it for fun? Dont get terrorized and dominated by trophies? Just get the trophies you want and not the ones you feel you need...? 

Yeah right, but if they would not "get terrorized and dominated by trophies" then this topic would never be submitted, right :)

Edited by Geridian
Wording
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

I don't get what you are saying.

28 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

The only purpose are the platinums.

Just one person has to purchase one that doesn’t have a platinum for that not to be true. 

Said another way: “No one would ever purchase a single one of these games if they didn’t have a platinum.” One person purchases one on Switch. Someone DID purchase one without a platinum. So the argument isn’t logically sound. 

4 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Developers just can't sell trophies, therefore they have to program a "game" to hide that impetus. So, I stand by it. The only purpose of these "games" even existing are the platinums. Selling trophies is the one and only vision by these companies. Curiosity by some customers is secondary.

I know that fits the absolute scenario as you’d like to see it, but these titles are also for sale on non-PlayStation platforms where they also sell, without Platinum trophies. They just happen to take more advantage of Sony trophy system because of the freedom Sony has given them. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I know that fits the absolute scenario as you’d like to see it, but these titles are also for sale on non-PlayStation platforms where they also sell, without Platinum trophies. They just happen to take more advantage of Sony trophy system because of the freedom Sony has given them. 

Usually the sales are about 0.5%-2% when compared to PlayStation when not engaged in a sale. They find success on there because they always end up on sales for insanely cheap (some as low as $.50) and the volume from that is worth it to them.

Higher install base than the PS5 - more opportunity to sell. They are still trying to race to the bottom.

Edited by CelestialRequiem

8 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Usually the sales are about 0.5%-2% when compared to PlayStation. They find success on there because they always end up on sales for insanely cheap (some as low as $.50) and the volume from that is worth it to them.

Higher install base than the PS5 - more opportunity to sell. They are still trying to race to the bottom.

Yup, I call that the Wal-mart tactic. 

18 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It is an absolute scenario. They just try to get one more sale on other platforms. Like a by- product. They also don't take more advantage of Sony's trophy system they only exist because of that system. It's like selling a CD where the only purpose of it is listening but you can't stop people using the CD as a coaster. Scenarios like this are so rare that no one would take them into account and the same applies to trash games on platforms without achievements. Btw are the "jumping games" even on Switch?

• Like 1

You can sort the store however you want, I sort mine by new because I check every Tuesday and Friday for new and upcoming games. 

I don't see what the issue is personally. 

If people want to sort cheapest first that's not an issue either. The I enjoy the small 30min/1 hour games, gives me a break of playing 20+ hour games and they are often good value for money imo. 

Those cheap easy plat games will be classed as bestsellers anyway because they are cheap and easy to beat. They'll soon rack up sales. 

7 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

It is an absolute scenario. They just try to get one more sale on other platforms.

Thats not how the word absolute works. 

I guess it’s not worth having a discussion when we don’t agree on what words actually mean and rhetoric is a standard response. 

On 2022. 08. 13. at 4:06 PM, DaivRules said:

They do their practice runs on the Switch before they attempt the platinum.

Edited by Nebnit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geridian said:

Not your fault :)

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I guess it’s not worth having a discussion when we don’t agree on what words actually mean and rhetoric is a standard response. 

hahahahahahaha

some ppl are clearly immune to logic. too busy pushing their own agenda and fabricating "facts" 

cognitive dissonance at its finest

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Exactly. Are you really making an excuse for the one guy who bought these games by pure accident? And again I doubt that the whole amount of trash even exists on other plattforms. Why aren't the Breakthrough games on the Switch?

Right, cause there are no achievements! These games STILL only exist because of trophy whores. Otherwise they would've existed ten years ago. But they didn't. They exist since Sony changed their requirements for trophies. What are you even arguing or defending here?

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 4