PS5 store now defaults to Best Sellers, sorts cheap Platinum games to bottom

Alos88

1 minute ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

hahahahahahaha

some ppl are clearly immune to logic. too busy pushing their own agenda and fabricating "facts" 

cognitive dissonance at its finest

And some people generate a discussion which is not in any way helpful for a topic.

Have fun people :)

9 hours ago, HusKy said:

Would make more sense to limit these games to maximum 315 trophy points, which is exactly the thing they used to enforce in the past.

That would make way more sense. That or they could enforce stricter plat requirements but still let games like these have 600-1000 points but no plat. 

8 hours ago, Its_Almost_Dry said:

In my opinion, simply applying the “Best Selling” sorting by default on the new games section of the PlayStation Store on PS5 is not good enough.

Either Sony should limit these “games” from sus publishers like ThiGames, Webnetic, Zakym etc. to 315 trophy points per platform/regional stack or block them from releasing games on their platform for good until they prove they can make indie games with at least 2-3 hour long platinum trophies.

Everything would be so much better without all this trophy whore appeal and that’s a fact.

Fact or not, itd also be so much better if people just gamed for the hell of it and not chased some imaginary pipe dream on the leaderboards that they'll never amount to both if the crap games did or didn't exist.

The people trophy whoring these crap games are no different than anyone else trophy whoring. Just a different tactic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HusKy said:

Would make more sense to limit these games to maximum 315 trophy points, which is exactly the thing they used to enforce in the past.

I think I would actually play some of these if they were only the old school 315 point totals. I've been collecting trophies since the beginning of the PS3 era and have my share of some oldschool trophy whore games (Linger in Shadows, Terminator).

I did a couple of really long games a few years back (Fortnite plat, etc.) and bought into the Rata games "to balance out" the trophy drought. I don't regret the decision to plat some easy games, but it was weird how it rewired me for a minute. I started thinking more about trophies than games I actually like. Now I'm back to just clearing my backlog of games I wanted to play that I got for free with PSN+. 

I like the idea of easier games, short/drop-in/drop-out. There are days were I get home from work and I just want to turn my brain completely off. I don't want to read a story, engage with a narrative, etc. I just want to have some choices reminiscent of Jet Pack Joyride, Fallout Shelter, etc. I just think they should have a much, MUCH lower trophy point calculation. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiefMichigan said:

That would make way more sense. That or they could enforce stricter plat requirements but still let games like these have 600-1000 points but no plat. 

its the points that move up rankings, not plats. So if it had 1000 points and a plat, or 1000 points and no plat, it makes no difference. Youd still gain 1000 points on leaderboard scores.

• Like 2

yeah, its a problem because a legit good or at least interesting unique looking indie game like frogun will get overshadowed by froggo a game that could be platted in 1-2 minutes. Another thing sony should enforce is not letting say breakthrough arcade split what would otherwise be a 30 minute zippy the circle or zj the ball game into 20 or so games. They can release zippy the circle or zj the ball but require all the levels to be bundled together on a single list but releasing each level as its own game should not be allowed or at best should be only as a dlc. Even those crappy crocs world games have a fair enough amount of content to not seem like a ripoff.

Does anybody know how they can region stack so easily?

Sony must have strict rules for when a game needs a second region, so they don't break any laws in that region. For example most Wolfenstein games have a German region release, because of the strict rules around showing certain things related to WW2 (see this article: https://www.destructoid.com/see-how-wolfenstein-the-new-order-is-censored-in-germany/).

I feel the developers of these games are abusing the rules and implementing the slightest change in their games just so they can qualify for a seperate game (and therefor seperate trophy list and plat for them to sell) in AS, JP, NA and EU region. They must know exactly what is needed for each region. And it must be tiny because non of the games are actually different (like the Wolfenstein example). There are some big games that have regions, but most don't.

So it seems most developers will try to avoid different region releases, these developers seem to add unnecessary stuff to force a new region. 

Edited by JayVR82
typo

Honestly I'm fine with this. The PSN Store was looking like pure garbage these days with all the terrible trophy trash bait. So I'll take this "bandaid" fix if only to have a cleaner looking store. Next thing I can't wait for is when games stop getting dual released on 4/5 so the auto pop bullshit stops.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Exactly. Are you really making an excuse for the one guy who bought these games by pure accident? And again I doubt that the whole amount of trash even exists on other plattforms. Why aren't the Breakthrough games on the Switch?

Right, cause there are no achievements! These games STILL only exist because of trophy whores. Otherwise they would've existed ten years ago. But they didn't. They exist since Sony changed their requirements for trophies. What are you even arguing or defending here?

What Daiv was trying to say is that you can't claim something is absolute if evidence to the contrary exists in any way, shape, or form. Claiming people only buy the shovelware for trophies when shovelware is available on other platforms makes your claim incorrect because those other platforms don't offer trophies yet have the same type of "games so the cause for purchase only being trophies is false. You then provide nothing but your own assumptions backed up by nothing other than your own personal beliefs and insist you're correct in the matter when you have no discernable way of proving that to be the case. No one is "defending" this trash, what is being said is that this junk doesn't exist solely to sell trophies. Shovelware has been around since the Atari days, it's always been here and nothing will change that. Trophies have made it a more noticeable problem for hunters to be sure but you're very very wrong if you think it exists solely to sell trophies

How is this filter actually working? Is it a case of Sony just ticking certain devs and their games not appearing on the front page anymore? I was just having a look at the webstore because at first I thought it was a filter based on price, but I see one of the run megabundles listed as $29.95 (Australian store) but it will only appear if you sort by "Release Date (New - Old). 

I really don't mind seeing these games vanish from the front page. I've got nothing against people that buy them all and stack them like crazy, I just hate having to scroll through them and possibly miss something I'm interested in (major first world problems on my part!)

The switch to 'best selling' doesn't fix anything - it makes exposure for new games even worse. They've done the same stupid adjustment on the actual website as well.

Basically, by making it a list of the games selling the most, this means new games are instantly put to the bottom of the list - only visible if you scroll to the right, click on view all, then look through the 50ish games in the list and hope you see a new game in there. Or, you can go to the right, click, and then sort by date (having to scroll to the bottom for the new PS5 upgrades for older games).

The only reason games will begin to appear at the front of the 'best sellers' list is because people on the PS4 - who have a working 'new games' list - are buying the games and pulling in sales for the games. 

The real issue here is the 'Browse' page on the website. That page is organised the same as the PS5 console - incorrectly. It lists games in date order based on a back-end date we can't see, allowing shitty devs to put a future date and have their games locked to the front of the 'new games' list until that future date passes. Some have clocked onto this and abused the bug. The 'browse' section of the website and the PS5 console are linked, they organise in the exact same way.

Sony just needs to fix the listings so they actually go in date order based on the 'release date' on the front-end of the store (as it does on the PS4 and the mobile app) - fixing that one simple sorting issue will put PS5 upgrades and new games in the correct date order. Then, we just need some sort of QA to remove all of these 'scam' 'games' off the network. Well, or give us the option to specifically mute publishers so we no longer see them in the store when browsing or searching.

• Like 3

I would like to add that this does not remedy the molestation of the store front. 

Just because you are excluding these bullshit games doesn't mean that games of an esoteric nature are going to gain more visibility. This can backfire and still harm indie devs who are struggling greatly for front-end awareness. 

There are excellent indie games that are still going to sell less than the EZ games. I don't even consider this a step in the right direction; this will just add another variable to the problem. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, majob said:

What Daiv was trying to say is that you can't claim something is absolute if evidence to the contrary exists in any way, shape, or form. Claiming people only buy the shovelware for trophies when shovelware is available on other platforms makes your claim incorrect because those other platforms don't offer trophies yet have the same type of "games so the cause for purchase only being trophies is false. You then provide nothing but your own assumptions backed up by nothing other than your own personal beliefs and insist you're correct in the matter when you have no discernable way of proving that to be the case. No one is "defending" this trash, what is being said is that this junk doesn't exist solely to sell trophies. Shovelware has been around since the Atari days, it's always been here and nothing will change that. Trophies have made it a more noticeable problem for hunters to be sure but you're very very wrong if you think it exists solely to sell trophies

Listen, the only reason by the developers is selling trophies. That is the absolute reason for even making these games, nothing else. This is also the reason certain games do not exist for other platforms, which I stated. I mentioned the "jumping games" and even asked if they exist for the Switch and apparently they do not. Because the selling point on other platforms is not there due to not having achievements. How is that a "personal belief"? My proof is the absence of that trash on other platforms.

Yes, shovelware always existed but not this kind. There is even a game in the making called "Press X for Trophies" which mocks this new market. How can you truly believe I am "very wrong" thinking these games have any other purposes? Especially when they don't exist on the Switch e.g. which is huge when it comes to smaller games.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Snap

I still don't know why there is a big converation.

There is a difference between bad games and bad games to make quick cash. 

Like majob said, of course there were always bad games, clones of games like Super Mario etc. always existed

BUT It's a fact that the purpose of these letter jumping games are only to make quick money by abusing the trophy system. There is no cool mechanic, no Story or anything else behind these games. 

People jumped on Ratalaika games years before but at least there are decent and you COULD play it furthermore even AFTER you unlocked the platinum trophy.

Even Visuals Novels (I know some use these games to get a fast platinum, all good) but at least those have a good story too and are great too like for example the Phoenix Wright series, 428: Shibuya Scramble, AI: Somnium Files, Hotel Dusk etc.

All those are great games but the Jumping, animal and those journey games ARE'NT games. Everybody who defends those games just hide their trophy addiction behind a game. You can't tell me that holding 1 button is a great gaming experience.

At the end I really don't care it's your time and money wasting on these games. Everybody can play what they want but don't call these games "games" or don't say "I enjoy these games and I would play it even when they would'nt have a platinum trophy or trophies in general".

Have a great day.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

its the points that move up rankings, not plats. So if it had 1000 points and a plat, or 1000 points and no plat, it makes no difference. Youd still gain 1000 points on leaderboard scores.

You clearly haven’t seen all the threads were people say “no plat, no play”. If these games didn’t have a platinum a ton of people would not play them. Sure there would still be a few poeple chasing leaderboard ranks but the drop in number of sales would be significant even if the game had 1k points. 

6 hours ago, Quink666 said:

You clearly haven’t seen all the threads were people say “no plat, no play”. If these games didn’t have a platinum a ton of people would not play them. Sure there would still be a few poeple chasing leaderboard ranks but the drop in number of sales would be significant even if the game had 1k points. 

i have and i think those people are somewhat dumb and missing out on some games. Like i said trophies mean life or death to some lol

• Like 4

Well this is a good start, better than nothing of course.

It's like finding a giant turd on your footstep and someone kicking it away.

Now we just need someone to clean your shoe and wipe up the pavement, which probably won't ever happen.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3