PS5 sometimes freezing when manually saving on PS4 games?

Lava_Yuki

I noticed that sometimes, my PS5 freezes at the save screen on manual saves for PS4 games and doesn't respond to any of the buttons even the home button, it usually lasts anywhere between 30 seconds to over a minute. It doesn't happen all the time, it's rare but it's annoying in older games without auto save. I never happened in my PS5 games, but it happened on a few occasions when playing FFX, first time it happened I unplugged the console and restarted it as I had no idea what was going on. When it happened again it eventually started working after about 20 seconds. I thought maybe it's just FFX and the PS5 isn't running it properly, as it never happened on my PS vita or PS4 of the game (DL versions),  but it happened again with the game Caligula overdose once. 

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to rectify it? Is it something to do with old PS4 games?

When I googled it I saw people reporting similar things. My PS5 isn't overheated or anything, fully updated, lots of space around it and is fairly new in that I didn't get it ages ago. I'm also careful with my consoles in that I still have a working PS2,3 and 4, no damage to it, so I don't get why this happens. I play a lot of JRPGs which only have save points and no auto save so it's causing anxiety (especially when I was farming luck spheres in FFX and the anxiety I had whenever saving if it will freeze or not)

I’ve had this happen with two PS4 games being played on PS5. One was Bound By Flame and the other Greedfall, both of which are developed by Spiders. I put the issue down to the devs being rubbish since it’s only happened to their games and I’ve had no issues with any other PS4 games on my PS5. But if this is happening to other people with other games then I would think that any game it happens to may not be 100% compatible with a PS5. Presumably the issue is a hardware one since I’ve never had it happen on my PS4 so if it gets enough traction then maybe it’s something that Sony can patch. It definitely is annoying though as it has to happen a number of times before you realise what’s happening and the anxiety of not knowing whether it’s going to unfreeze so you can save your progress sucks.

• Like 2

it's a common issues with PS4 BC games, I had it with a few games, it's not just for manual save, any type of interaction with the savefile system can cause it, load, save,,,

you just have to leave it like that and it will eventually get out of that state, it doesn't happen all the time, you may get it only once per game playthrough

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 11:28 PM, FilmFanatic said:

I’ve had this happen with two PS4 games being played on PS5. One was Bound By Flame and the other Greedfall, both of which are developed by Spiders. I put the issue down to the devs being rubbish since it’s only happened to their games and I’ve had no issues with any other PS4 games on my PS5. But if this is happening to other people with other games then I would think that any game it happens to may not be 100% compatible with a PS5. Presumably the issue is a hardware one since I’ve never had it happen on my PS4 so if it gets enough traction then maybe it’s something that Sony can patch. It definitely is annoying though as it has to happen a number of times before you realise what’s happening and the anxiety of not knowing whether it’s going to unfreeze so you can save your progress sucks.

That makes sense, i noticed that it only happens to my older PS4 games where the save screen pops up on this black background, which I assume are games not optimised for PS5. But it doesn't happen to games where there is also a PS5 version off. So far it's just FFX and Caligula overdose, both very old games. 

On 15/08/2022 at 1:20 AM, The Investigator said:

it's a common issues with PS4 BC games, I had it with a few games, it's not just for manual save, any type of interaction with the savefile system can cause it, load, save,,,

you just have to leave it like that and it will eventually get out of that state, it doesn't happen all the time, you may get it only once per game playthrough

Yeah I noticed it usually happens once per gamin session usually in the first save or so, and then it's fine for the rest of the times. I noticed it when the save screen pops up in this separate black screen that looks separate from the game or not the games normal save screen

I've had that issue while playing both Trails of Cold Steel III and IV. I've been playing other PS4 games without issues since so it feels really random.

I did notice it's also when the game doesn't have its own "save" screen (when it pops up in a separate black screen). I would stress out every time I went to save my game!

• Like 1

This happened to me with Trails of Cold Steel so I thought it's maybe a PS4 game issue but it also happened yesterday with Horizon Forbidden West PS5. I tried to load my save from the main menu and it took about 45 seconds for my saves to show.

Edited by Sn1per666999
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

Could be that you need to clear the cache on the PS5. unplug power cable for about 5 minutes. then boot it up, that can help with random issues like this. but i've predominantly played older and less supported games on PS5 never had a long pause, but I clear my cache every 3 weeks orso.

I hardly have any games on it, but I'll try clearing the cache and see. I've unplugged many times but that did not work. It seems to be specific games though, like it never happened to games like Life is strange, scarlet nexus or tales of arise although these were all ps5 games with their own save screen. It just happens to games where they don't have their own save screen on PS5 so it's like this pop thing on a black window. 

12 hours ago, Cogitom said:

I've had that issue while playing both Trails of Cold Steel III and IV. I've been playing other PS4 games without issues since so it feels really random.

I did notice it's also when the game doesn't have its own "save" screen (when it pops up in a separate black screen). I would stress out every time I went to save my game!

Yeah I was getting really stressed as well, especially after boss fights or when I haven't saved in a while. I remember my heart racing after dodging the lightning bolts in FFX, praying that it would freeze after that. 

12 hours ago, Sn1per666999 said:

This happened to me with Trails of Cold Steel so I thought it's maybe a PS4 game issue but it also happened yesterday with Horizon Forbidden West PS5. I tried to load my save from the main menu and it took about 45 seconds for my saves to show.

I've not had it with my ps5 titles so far, but I did have scarlet nexus having errors and then closing, although that game had autosave so it was ok. But yeah it seems to freeze for like 30-60 secs, I hope they rectify this in an update at some point

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Yeah I was getting really stressed as well, especially after boss fights or when I haven't saved in a while. I remember my heart racing after dodging the lightning bolts in FFX, praying that it would freeze after that. 

I plan on playing FFX soon so that's REALLY good to know. Might just play it on PS4/Vita to avoid the stress (ugh, I remember the mini games from the PS2 era and would HATE to have to re-do any of them due to a saving error). Caligula is on my list as well so I'll take note of that too. Fingers crossed they acknowledge this issue and fix it sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Cogitom said:

I plan on playing FFX soon so that's REALLY good to know. Might just play it on PS4/Vita to avoid the stress (ugh, I remember the mini games from the PS2 era and would HATE to have to re-do any of them due to a saving error). Caligula is on my list as well so I'll take note of that too. Fingers crossed they acknowledge this issue and fix it sooner rather than later.

Definitely recommend that. I have the vita version and did the chocobo mini games on the vita, as it's much easier. The wireless control of the PS5 has a slight input delay which can really mess you up. I noticed this a lot of with Wakka's attack reels and tidus's overdrive, where I was consistent with getting triple 2s but kept missing on PS5, so best do both the lightning bolts and chocobo race on the vita as it doesn't have input delay issues. Although you could plug the controller into the PS5  in which seems to work

• Like 1

I've only ever had 2 games freeze while playing, both were ps5 versions. Horizon FW, and WWE2K22. Both were fixed via patches and then another PS5 update came out and i never had issue again. 

Havent noticed any issues on PS4 saves either. Most recent game on PS4 being Digimon Survive 

Edited by Infected Elite

2 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

I've only ever had 2 games freeze while playing, both were ps5 versions. Horizon FW, and WWE2K22. Both were fixed via patches and then another PS5 update came out and i never had issue again. 

Havent noticed any issues on PS4 saves either. Most recent game on PS4 being Digimon Survive 

Digimon survive is a really new game so I don't think it should give issues. For me it was super old PS4 games like FFX and Caligula which were released years ago before the PS5 was even released. The usual games save screen does not show up like it does on vita or ps4, it's this weird pop up type save screen on a black window on PS5, and that's where it freezes sometimes. 

15 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Digimon survive is a really new game so I don't think it should give issues. For me it was super old PS4 games like FFX and Caligula which were released years ago before the PS5 was even released. The usual games save screen does not show up like it does on vita or ps4, it's this weird pop up type save screen on a black window on PS5, and that's where it freezes sometimes. 

Oh yeah, still, haven't had issues myself unless its a recent firmware thing, i have been fine.

Had this issue with Ghost of Tsushima (PS4 version) and RE7 (also PS4 version), both times when trying to save the game. It appears games that use the PS interface to present their saves can possibly glitch and freeze for some time. Happened twice with me.

As mentioned, it only lasts 30 seconds or so, but the first time was really scary.

• Like 1

To all people with such problems:

Can you check on which drive your PS4 games are stored on PS5?

Reason: I can imagine that some PS4 games have problems on PS5 when they are stored on a M.2 SSD drive, but console storage should be fine. Also I think that an external drive formatted as Extended Storage is a safe bet, simply because external drives used on a PS4 work with PS5, no reformatting or such things are needed.

Also I have got a PS5 myself over a year and a half ago and a second one a year ago, most time I play PS4 games and never encountered this error once.. On two consoles. Primary I play PS4 games from external SSDs formatted as Extended Storage (Samsung T7 and T5). So: Maybe check where your games are stored? ?

1 hour ago, Geridian said:

Reason: I can imagine that some PS4 games have problems on PS5 when they are stored on a M.2 SSD drive, but console storage should be fine. Also I think that an external drive formatted as Extended Storage is a safe bet, simply because external drives used on a PS4 work with PS5, no reformatting or such things are needed.

Also I have got a PS5 myself over a year and a half ago and a second one a year ago, most time I play PS4 games and never encountered this error once.. On two consoles. Primary I play PS4 games from external SSDs formatted as Extended Storage (Samsung T7 and T5). So: Maybe check where your games are stored? 1f600.png

Playing off the disc versions (so console storage, I guess?) here.

I ran into this issue in April (so it's not a recent update). I haven't played a PS4 game that goes to the "black screen" when saving since, but I have the feeling I'd run into the same issue still given this thread. There seems to be something about that saving screen. It's like it won't properly load. I'd still hear the background music and all (the screen just turned dim as if it was about to load and then nothing. If something was moving in the background, the animation would keep going as if it wasn't stuck). It's quite odd.

Also the discs worked flawlessly on PS4 (tested them on three separate systems).

Edited by Cogitom

56 minutes ago, Cogitom said:

Nothing to guess here. It is just either..

1) Select your PS4 game in the PS5 menu -> Options Button -> Information -> Installed in is?

or

2) System Settings -> Storage -> Check if the game is stored on Console Storage, M.2 SSD Storage (For this, a internal M.2 SSD must have been installed) or USB Extended Storage (For this, a external USB drive formatted as Extended Storage must have been connected).

Also keep in mind, that another member wrote something here about problems with the Game Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on PS5, when the game is installed on M.2 SSD Storage: 

6 minutes ago, Geridian said:

Nothing to guess here. It is just either..

1) Select your PS4 game in the PS5 menu -> Options Button -> Information -> Installed in is?

or

2) System Settings -> Storage -> Check if the game is stored on Console Storage, M.2 SSD Storage (For this, a internal M.2 SSD must have been installed) or USB Extended Storage (For this, a external USB drive formatted as Extended Storage must have been connected).

Also keep in mind, that another member wrote something here about problems with the Game Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on PS5, when the game is installed on M.2 SSD Storage: 

Console storage it is!

Haven't run into any issues with both Cyber Sleuth (about 80 hours) and Cyber Sleuth HM (currently 40'ish hours in). They do have their own save/load screens.

1 hour ago, Geridian said:

Also I have got a PS5 myself over a year and a half ago and a second one a year ago, most time I play PS4 games and never encountered this error once.. On two consoles. Primary I play PS4 games from external SSDs formatted as Extended Storage (Samsung T7 and T5). So: Maybe check where your games are stored? 1f600.png

this was happening from long before the PS5 even got the M2 slot enabled, it happens 100% on the console storage

Edited by The Investigator

2 hours ago, Geridian said:

Mine are stored on the PS5 itself, not an external as I only play one or two games at a time, and always have the ones I'm playing in the console itself. It doesn't happen to all my PS4 games, just the old ones that use the PS interface to save and i noticed it more after the one of the updates. 

2 hours ago, Cogitom said:

I ran into this issue in April (so it's not a recent update). I haven't played a PS4 game that goes to the "black screen" when saving since, but I have the feeling I'd run into the same issue still given this thread. There seems to be something about that saving screen. It's like it won't properly load. I'd still hear the background music and all (the screen just turned dim as if it was about to load and then nothing. If something was moving in the background, the animation would keep going as if it wasn't stuck). It's quite odd.

Also the discs worked flawlessly on PS4 (tested them on three separate systems).

Now that you mention it, it's only happened on my digital games but not my disc games