13 Plats of Halloween: Resurrection (Event Concluded)

6 hours ago, blu3st4rdust305 said:

Couple of the games do not seem to count. Remothered and Dark Nights are too short. Dark Nights, I've played and can recommend for those who enjoy deeply B movie acting/story and FMV.

Well I'll be damned I checked thw remothered that had the 50th in 4 months not knowing it was the japanese version. Oh well, sad that Poe and Monroe doesn't fit the lenght, well I'll take a look in my library and see what fits and edit my list.

While I think that the 50th's player playtime rule is a bit arbitrary (voids out Little Nightmares 2 or as mentioned SOMA) and there should be a rule change (I understand that these 5 minute games should not fill up the ranks) regarding this, here are my entries:

1. House of the Dead Remake (PS4, zombies)

2. Ikai (PS5, japanese horror)

3. Ghostwire Tokyo (PS5, japanese horror)

4. Killing Floor 2 (PS4, more zombies)

5. Vampyr (PS4, vampires)

6. Dead by Daylight (PS5, includes all kinds of monsters, killers, slashers, especially iconic villains such as Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers)

7. Werewolf: The Apocalypse Eartblood (PS4, werewolves)

8. Until Dawn (PS4, teenage horror)

9. Zombie Driver Immortal Edition (PS4, more zombies)

10. Costume Quest 2 (PS3, Halloween themed game)

11. Plague Tale: Innocence (PS5, generally creepy game)

12. Wytchwood (PS4, generally creepy game)

13. Disgaea 6 (PS5, you control monsters led by a zombie protagonist in a hellish world)

Spooky time of year is the best time of year. I'll do 13, but let's lock these in for now...

1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles. Lots of scary monsters and people wearing masks.
  2. Doom Eternal. More demons...?
  3. Demon's Souls (PS5). I guess I'm slaying a lot of demons this year.

They're all active games for me right now, so I'm already committed.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Sounds fun!  I'll lost off what I've got off the top of my head.

Set in stone:

1. Resident Evil 3 (PS4) - killing things that are already dead.

2. The Walking Dead: Final Season - hopefully not getting killed by things that are already dead.

3. Until Dawn - Why not have a bunch of people live or die on my choices. 

Swappable:

Resident Evil 4 - Same as RE3

Little Nightmares - definitely a spooky looking platformer 

Little Nightmares 2 - same as the first game

Elden Ring - Malenia is scary. For real.

Dark Souls 2 (PS4) - Death around every corner, dead looking things everywhere 

Dark Souls 3 - same as 2!

Death's Door - Has the word death in the title?

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Arctic Cress said:

Everyone that's putting Until Dawn on their list should know it's ineligible due to rule #5 in the first post. The 50th fastest player finished it in 5 hours, 49 minutes.

Which, as I see it, is an arbitrary rule that locks out some good games for no reason.

37 minutes ago, Arctic Cress said:

Everyone that's putting Until Dawn on their list should know it's ineligible due to rule #5 in the first post. The 50th fastest player finished it in 5 hours, 49 minutes.

Thanks for catching that. ?

I skipped checking it. Sheet has been updated.

6 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Which, as I see it, is an arbitrary rule that locks out some good games for no reason.

The rules will not change. They are posted. Everyone can read them and is free to choose to participate.

Plague Tale PS5 also does not count, BTW.

51 minutes ago, blu3st4rdust305 said:

Thanks for catching that. 1f44d.png

I skipped checking it. Sheet has been updated.

The rules will not change. They are posted. Everyone can read them and is free to choose to participate.

Plague Tale PS5 also does not count, BTW.

Wow that's a good start I guess lol. 

No need for rules so pointless.

Cancelling out platinum games because other people finished it under six hours despite them fitting the theme while games without 100 percent get a pass as long as others don't speedrun them. Still an arbitrary rule. What's the point? 

Plus, if you want to be correct you have to lock out both versions of Plague Tale since Autopop works both ways - despite you having to play at least one version legit which sure takes above 6 hours. I say this rule is flawed and needs some tweaking. Is it to make sure someone doesnt play the short $5 or less games like Dissection, Insomnis or Breeder: Homegrown?

Edited by Thrillhelm

2 hours ago, Thrillhelm said:

Cancelling out platinum games because other people finished it under six hours despite them fitting the theme while games without 100 percent get a pass as long as others don't speedrun them. Still an arbitrary rule. What's the point? 

Plus, if you want to be correct you have to lock out both versions of Plague Tale since Autopop works both ways - despite you having to play at least one version legit which sure takes above 6 hours. I say this rule is flawed and needs some tweaking. Is it to make sure someone doesnt play the short $5 or less games like Dissection, Insomnis or Breeder: Homegrown?

Is basically a rule to avoid EZPZ games, also a way to create a challenging event dude, relax is not a big deal.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

Is basically a rule to avoid EZPZ games, also a way to create a challenging event dude, relax is not a big deal.

Easy to say if you are not hit by that rule.

If you want to lock out those easy games then I wonder why it has to be six hours when those games can be finished in under two hours.

Think about it, games like Little Nightmares 2, A Plague Tale Innocence, Until Dawn or SOMA are tossed into the same category as Our Church And Halloween Pinball for no reason. Are those EZPZ games or shovelware?

Now more than one participant has to find a replacement for Until Dawn. 

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

The alternative is to create a list of "acceptable" sub-6 hour games, which is far more arbitrary and a lot to ask someone who is hosting an event for free on their own time. Excluding a few good games is a small price to pay to keep the rules simple.

Besides, since those games are short, nothing is stopping you from completing them too.

At least it would be fair to not set the bar up to six hours, which is such an arbitrary line. Makes no sense to void out some good games in fear of EZPZ games.

11 hours ago, Thrillhelm said:

If you think about it this also extends the depth by which we have to figure out a game to play.  For instance, I was looking at Until Dawn, but now I can't use it.  Because of this, we now don't have 15 people playing Until Dawn, and we get some more interesting choices.

I'm not saying Until Dawn isn't fantastic (I've never played it) but this does force people to look outside some more traditional scary picks, as opposed to just avoiding EZPZ games.

Edited by willythom88
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, willythom88 said:

If you think about it this also extends the depth by which we have to figure out a game to play.  For instance, I was looking at Until Dawn, but now I can't use it.  Because of this, we now don't have 15 people playing Until Dawn, and we get some more interesting choices.

I'm not saying Until Dawn isn't fantastic (I've never played it) but this does force people to look outside some more traditional scary picks, as opposed to just avoiding EZPZ games.

That's exaggerating. Its more like three to four people.

So because Until Dawn is a classic pick in that genre and I haven't played it yet I should look for sonething else because of an arbitrary limitation AND "more diverse choices"? Can't I pick the horror game I want? Until Dawn isn't picked so often for no reason.

That's such a non-argument. People have to go for 13 games anyways so that's enough space for "interesting choices".

Cutting out good games for no real reason other than a debatable platinum time limitation and people telling they should go all-indie.

5 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

That's exaggerating. Its more like three to four people.

So because Until Dawn is a classic pick in that genre and I haven't played it yet I should look for sonething else because of an arbitrary limitation AND "more diverse choices"? Can't I pick the horror game I want? Until Dawn isn't picked so often for no reason.

That's such a non-argument. People have to go for 13 games anyways so that's enough space for "interesting choices".

Cutting out good games for no real reason other than a debatable platinum time limitation and people telling they should go all-indie.

You're correct it's an exaggeration but still.  I'm also not arguing for or against the rule, I'm just saying we are seeing a nice cascade of unique choices coming down because of it.  And that doesn't mean all indie, it just means folks aren't all picking the same stuff, and I think that's partially because we have to do some research into what games fall into that time limit. 

• Like 1

Easy to say if you are not hit by that rule.

If you want to lock out those easy games then I wonder why it has to be six hours when those games can be finished in under two hours.

Think about it, games like Little Nightmares 2, A Plague Tale Innocence, Until Dawn or SOMA are tossed into the same category as Our Church And Halloween Pinball for no reason. Are those EZPZ games or shovelware?

Now more than one participant has to find a replacement for Until Dawn. 

I picked 2 games that were hit by that rule, so those don't qualify. That's fine, those games are easy enough I can do them on the side. Again the event is meant to be challenging. 6 hours games while might be arbitrary it actually pushes you to find a game hard enough that the top 50 speed runners couldn't do it in less time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

I picked 2 games that were hit by that rule, so those don't qualify. That's fine, those games are easy enough I can do them on the side. Again the event is meant to be challenging. 6 hours games while might be arbitrary it actually pushes you to find a game hard enough that the top 50 speed runners couldn't do it in less time.

Time consuming doesn't automatically mean a hard game. 

13 games to pick means there's more than enough diversity in game choices, no need to cut out games that blend into the Halloween theme because of an arbitrary rule.

1 minute ago, Thrillhelm said:

Time consuming doesn't automatically mean a hard game. 

13 games to pick means there's more than enough diversity in game choices, no need to cut out games that blend into the Halloween theme because of an arbitrary rule.

Man, nobody is forcing you to do all 13 games, nobody is forcing nobody to just play the games of the event and nobody is forcing nobody to join the event.

This was the same almost exact event last year and we were all chill with the rules. 

Rules are simple, the event is simple, just pick 13 games regardless that fit the bill for the event and let it go.

As I said it is not a big deal.

• Like 1

Just now, MAUSZX said:

Man, nobody is forcing you to do all 13 games, nobody is forcing nobody to just play the games of the event and nobody is forcing nobody to join the event.

This was the same almost exact event last year and we were all chill with the rules. 

Rules are simple, the event is simple, just pick 13 games regardless that fit the bill for the event and let it go.

As I said it is not a big deal.

Says you. If you're ok with these kind of rules go ahead. But there has to be more thought put into it when you don't allow good games in fear of EZPZ games so you set an arbitrary bar. 

I will partake in the competition, but I'll not gonna accept that rule (especially if OP does not provide an explanation). If people were ok with that last year, fine - perhaps back then there werent top 50 people with Until Dawn platinum under 6 hours and no Plague Tale autopop platinum.

The challenge is a good concept but with these kind of rules it's a big letdown.

Think it will be a challenge for me to reach 13 so if it does get to the point where you need to limit sign ups please do drop me in favour of someone else. 

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth - All the gang dressing up in costumes with a sprinkling of aliens and zombies. (#50 13 hours 16 minutes) I have started this one but need to do another run for collectibles and missing stuff.
2. Party Hard - Play as a serial killer trying to end the party (#50 - 1 day 2 hours)

3. Wytchwood - Play as a witch (#50 - 13 hours 24 minutes) 

This is my updated list.

1. Darkside Detective A fumble in the Dark - Last year I did the first one, and now is time to do the sequel, it is a horror themed game, a funny Point and Click game, as the name kinda says it, the Detective jumps between dimensions to the Darkside.
  2. Man of Medan - Last year this was a game that I couldn't do, this year I already started this, need to do 2 more runs in the game, this year I'll finish it, so to make sure of it, I'll lock it down. Man of Medan is a horror adventure game.
  3. In Sound Mind - This is a horror game that has a lot of sounds and music themes, something like that, the trailer showed the game and it really looked fun and scary, I don't want to really watch more because I don't want to spoil, but it is a horror game.
  4. DOOM- You go to Hell so I guess that fits right?
  5. Destroy all humans- I have the ps2-ps4 versions and I am going to this one out of the way. Alien invading earth.
  6. Manhunt- There is nothing scarier than a bunch of guys killing each other for entertainment.
  7. The Persistence-  Some sort of zombies on space, is horror genre.
  8. SIMULACRA- One of those movie games, a female that disapeared and you are investigating her phone to know what happened.
  9. Nine Witches. Family Disruption. The name says a lot, but is basically an adventure game, with a lot of witches and weird stuff.
  10. Metro Exodus. Post apocalyptic russia, lots of monsters and very tense.
  11. West of Dead. A game were you play like a supernatural western world.

I'll leave the other 2 spaces open in case of a sale or a psplus addition.

Says you. If you're ok with these kind of rules go ahead. But there has to be more thought put into it when you don't allow good games in fear of EZPZ games so you set an arbitrary bar. 

I will partake in the competition, but I'll not gonna accept that rule (especially if OP does not provide an explanation). If people were ok with that last year, fine - perhaps back then there werent top 50 people with Until Dawn platinum under 6 hours and no Plague Tale autopop platinum.

The challenge is a good concept but with these kind of rules it's a big letdown.

Man, i think you are taking this way too seriously. It's a challenge to have fun, to get out of your comfort zone, and to play games that perhaps you were keeping in your backlog. IT is intended to be challenging also, that's why there are these rules. If you agree with the rules, you participate, if not it's your decision. No one is going to go after you because you didn't complete the 13 plats. Enjoy playing the games, have fun and simply don't sweat about it.

I think it is okay for you to suggest this change, but you shouldn't try to force this to happen. This rule was from the beggining of the event, that you agreed to participate in.

Edited by MattbluePT
  • Like 3