13 Plats of Halloween: Resurrection (Event Concluded)

19 minutes ago, MattbluePT said:

Man, i think you are taking this way too seriously. It's a challenge to have fun, to get out of your comfort zone, and to play games that perhaps you were keeping in your backlog. IT is intended to be challenging also, that's why there are these rules. If you agree with the rules, you participate, if not it's your decision. No one is going to go after you because you didn't complete the 13 plats. Enjoy playing the games, have fun and simply don't sweat about it.

I think it is okay for you to suggest this change, but you shouldn't try to force this to happen. This rule was from the beggining of the event, that you agreed to participate in.

Well nobody forces the OP to enforce the rules so strictly, and the challenge didn't start yet so I guess the rules are up to debate. Still saying the six hours rule is arbitrary and certain games that fall under that rule haven't been reconsidered. I go as far as saying that this specific rule isn't thought out well and should be changed.

If people say the rule encourages a diverse playlist then I guess its fine Resident Evil games are overrepresented because they don't fall under the rule but gems like Plague Tale, Until Dawn, Little Nightmares 2 etc get locked out. That's your diversity in games there.

7 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Well nobody forces the OP to enforce the rules so strictly, and the challenge didn't start yet so I guess the rules are up to debate. Still saying the six hours rule is arbitrary and certain games that fall under that rule haven't been reconsidered. I go as far as saying that this specific rule isn't thought out well and should be changed.

If people say the rule encourages a diverse playlist then I guess its fine Resident Evil games are overrepresented because they don't fall under the rule but gems like Plague Tale, Until Dawn, Little Nightmares 2 etc get locked out. That's your diversity in games there.

Look, clearly you're not enjoying the idea of participating in the form it is currently in. So... Don't participate? Everyone else here seems cool with this rule, and you clearly aren't, so let others enjoy the event and find something else you'd rather participate in.

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude... I don't like that rule either....

...so you know what I did?

I just quietly and amiably concluded this event wasn't one for me, let the people who are participating enjoy it without endlessly arguing and pissing in their chips...

... and, y'know... carried on living my life....

I also decided not to join because of this even though I was looking forward to a Halloween event.

Such is life. I'll carry on playing the games I choose elsewhere.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

I also decided not to join because of this even though I was looking forward to a Halloween event.

Such is life. I'll carry on playing the games I choose elsewhere.

Admittedly I do think six hours is a bit too high for the event, I'd have maybe cut it off at like four hours, but hey. Guess that's why it's not our event, yeah?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Ok dude, then don't just say "this is not it" propose something, maybe if you propose something specific and general to improve the event and OP agrees then ok, but getting all mad about a simple rule, without proposing as an alternative option and just complaining as if you were forced into this is kinda weird tbh. I think we all agree you are taking this a little bit to serious or you are trolling.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

Ok dude, then don't just say "this is not it" propose something, maybe if you propose something specific and general to improve the event and OP agrees then ok, but getting all mad about a simple rule, without proposing as an alternative option and just complaining as if you were forced into this is kinda weird tbh. I think we all agree you are taking this a little bit to serious or you are trolling.

Well speak for yourself and not on behalf of others. Calling me a troll is another angle to just accept the arbitrary rule without questioning its logic. I'm free to express my problem with that rule and I've pointed out why it doesn't make sense to me. Comparing it to last year when there was a different situation with Until Dawn and Plague Tale also doesn't make sense. Why depending on a game being legit for the challenge by the time 50 people needed to complete it?

I think this a good challenge, it needs a tweak respectively a change in one rule. 

And I think as long as the challenge hasn't started the rules are up to debate.

Edited by Thrillhelm

17 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Well speak for yourself and not on behalf of others. Calling me a troll is another angle to just accept the arbitrary rule without questioning its logic. I'm free to express my problem with that rule and I've pointed out why it doesn't make sense to me. Comparing it to last year when there was a different situation with Until Dawn and Plague Tale also doesn't make sense. Why depending on a game being legit for the challenge by the time 50 people needed to complete it?

I think this a good challenge, it needs a tweak respectively a change in one rule. 

And I think as long as the challenge hasn't started the rules are up to debate.

That's where you are wrong, Until Dawn didn't qualify last year either, just check the top 50 guys, got until dawn way before last year.

Plague Tale I completely get it, tho I don't know what were the original times for that game before autopops.

Sure the event can use a tweak, but it doesn't need it, pretty doable event , without a problem.

And no I did not call you a troll, I said either you were taking this way to seriously or you were trolling.

Either way I am pretty sure most people will be fine with a rule change or without one, and again, you have not propose a specific change or anything, you just have said that you don't like the rule. Complaining just for complaining sake doesn't do anything. Propose something for the "tweak" or stop complaining.

Rules are up to debate if OP wants to and only if he wants to.

6 minutes ago, Man of Inaction said:

You have good points, but that's what's tough about the events. You can't please everyone. The original creator of the 13 Plats event chose to ban fast plats because he wanted people to actually spend the season playing Halloween games and did not want to see someone post a finished list on day two. @blu3st4rdust305 picked up the event after that guy left PSNP because they enjoyed it that way. As @Cassylvania pointed out, this guy is hosting an event on his own time for our benefit so I think it's 100% fine for them to frame out the event exactly how they want to see it. I'll be making anyone their badge, as long as they get three six-hour games completed across two months of time which is a pretty minimal requirement. So there isn't anything special to earn by doing more. Any additional completions are just for personal pride.

The main complaint I see from you is that there is an arbitrary bar set, so I don't see how it solves the problem you are going on about if he moves that bar to 3 or 4 hours. If you just want to move the arbitrary bar so it doesn't impact your choices, that's pretty selfish. Whatever the reasons, the host created a rule. Take it or leave it; OR.. maybe nicely ask for an exception. Until Dawn, for example, allows people to delay earning trophies, but they still have to commit more than 6 hours of playtime to the game in order to set up completions faster than five hours. It probably is worth asking if you can play it and still have it count. I mean 5 hours and 49 minutes is basically 6 hours in the grand scheme of things anyway. The goal of 13 was also chosen arbitrarily and just there to fit the theme of Halloween. If you don't like arbitrary things, this probably isn't a good fit for you. 

I'm not coming from a perspective from someone that wasn't impacted by this rule either. I knew about the event for a few weeks now since I was asked to do badges and I created a list of games before the event. I had forgotten about the six-hour rule and had to replace about half of my original list. Even after that, I made an assumption with Until Dawn worked and ended up replacing it with something else after @Arctic Cress pointed out the 50th finisher's time. Anyway, you only need 3 games to count to earn the digital badge for the event. The rest is just gravy on the top. So nothing is stopping you from enjoying Halloween and playing Plague Tale and Until Dawn.

One last point and I'll shut up. Whether or not it counts, It's completely cool if you play the those games anyway and talk about them with us in the event thread. We are all Halloween fans and I'm interested in what you will have to say about them. I'll personally still be playing Until Dawn, because I'm in the mood for it and I want that plat on this account and whether or not I finish all 13 that count for the event is a bit irrelevant and only important to me. Like how much did you care that I finished all 13 once before, but failed to finish last year? Probably not at all, and neither does anyone else. What I do care about is I had a good time reading about what people are playing. Finding out about new Halloween-ish games and also telling people how my experiences were. That's the real point of the event. 

To be honest it doesn't address the problems I have with the rule - its completely fine to lock out good games but now it's explained with "feels" rather than reason.

Nobody stops me to play these games, yeah right because they don't count anyways - in a challenge about Halloween games. Still no explanation why Plague Tale gets locked out because apparently it is since autopop runs both ways here and despite more than six hours are needed to platinum it once. 

As I see it, since 100% games are allowed it means the rules are debatable. 

Its like cutting off a limb to avoid a small wound to spread. EZPZ games should not control the event as they do now.

@MAUSZX okay fine. Means the rule didnt make sense last time either.

8 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

To be honest it doesn't address the problems I have with the rule - its completely fine to lock out good games but now it's explained with "feels" rather than reason.

Nobody stops me to play these games, yeah right because they don't count anyways - in a challenge about Halloween games. Still no explanation why Plague Tale gets locked out because apparently it is since autopop runs both ways here and despite more than six hours are needed to platinum it once. 

As I see it, since 100% games are allowed it means the rules are debatable. 

Its like cutting off a limb to avoid a small wound to spread. EZPZ games should not control the event as they do now.

@MAUSZX okay fine. Means the rule didnt make sense last time either.

Would you feel like is not as arbitrary if the rule of 6 hours is because 6 6 6 is the number of the devil? lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

No since its six hours not 666. But shows the length people go to justify an arbitrary obstacle.

AS people before have told you, yes it is arbitrary, so is every other event, adapt or move on.

https://psnprofiles.com/games?theme=19-horror&order=average

Look at all the games that we can't play because of this "arbitrary rule".  The rule is to make it challenging to finish 13 games in 2 months, which is not super hard tbh. This is the last answer I will have about this, just read yourself man, you are taking this way too seriously.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

AS people before have told you, yes it is arbitrary, so is every other event, adapt or move on.

https://psnprofiles.com/games?theme=19-horror&order=average

Look at all the games that we can't play because of this "arbitrary rule".  The rule is to make it challenging to finish 13 games in 2 months, which is not super hard tbh. This is the last answer I will have about this, just read yourself man, you are taking this way too seriously.

Posting the easiest platinums available in that genre to justify Until Dawn's removal. Its what I said: cutting out good games in fear of the cheap platinums.

13 minutes ago, Man of Inaction said:

This whole event is arbitrary. That's the point I was making. I don't know why you accept some of that and not other parts, except that it is inconvenient to you. The design of the event has always involved the duration of a game to some degree; and I did give the exact reason the rule was put in place. The original creator of the event wanted people to spend time on this event and not do quick games and post a finished list early in the event. They wanted people to spend the season playing and talking about games related to Halloween because they enjoy them and sharing their enjoyment of Halloween with others was what made it worth it to do the work of hosting. You can dismiss that and say that it's about feels rather than logic. It doesn't change that fact. The rule about length has never prescribed to people what makes constitutes a good/worthwhile game. The fact that A Plague Tale is out on a technicality doesn't make it a bad game somehow. It doesn't detract from this event. You can act like we've all drank the Kool-aid if you want. There's just no silver bullet solution that you can lay down and say this will fit every scenario. So yeah, an arbitrary decision to say 6 hours for the 50th fastest seems as good a line to me as any other. So, I have accepted it and it doesn't need justification. 

Yeah we love the Halloween so much that we dont let favourite games in it, despite being thematically closer as other entries, one must think there is something wrong with that system. 7 mean you agree these are good games but at the same time people are fine with them being locked out.

The rule is still debatable, if not questionable to me. Someone could have put more thought in it, and in Plague Tale's case the both directions autopop hasn't even been reconsidered.

Btw if its accepted and well known that the rule is arbitrary then why not making exceptions to games if that's plausible?

Edited by Thrillhelm

Yes, I am fine with good games being locked out, because I see the difficulty in creating a one-size-fits-all solution and the impracticalilty of knowing every possible game out there to make a curated, thematically appropriate list of games that fits everyone's memories of Halloween and are of proper length, good enough quality, and isn't also completely arbitrary so the event can be perfect.

Regardless, I can see I won't convince you to ease up on your position. I'm not standing against you, I agree with most of what you are saying. The event host will decide on rule changes. As a point of clarification, I don't know them very well, and I have no say in how this event runs. So I won't have any influence despite being attached to make the digital badges.

• Like 2

I have read all of the discussion, back and forth, etc. No matter the cut-off, games will be excluded. Many games are much shorter but still count because of the low player count, like Ikai. Should those be excluded manually, while others are included? The rule is black and white and not subjective. Ultimately, there are tons of games that can be used here.

To keep it simple, the rules will not change. 

Everyone has the freedom to play whatever games they want, whenever they want. The rules describe which games count towards completion of this event. You are welcome to play and discuss thematic games in this thread.

You also are free to participate in this event or not. 

• Like 4

On 8/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, willythom88 said:

I was waitin' on this event actually.  Excited to see it's here.  Here's mine with justifications and what not.

Locked In:
Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle (PS4) - It's a sliding block game where you play Jason.  I would assume at least.

Wytchwood (PS4) -You're a witch, so like, yeah.

Resident Evil 7 - Gross zombies and bugs and such

So I keep forgetting to post my other 10, so I'm gonna do it now before it slips my mind again. 

Resident Evil 2 - A game about shooting a guys hat off in a police station

Darksiders Warmastered - A game about the four horseman means only one thing....biblical evil!

Extreme Exorcism -  Scary spooky skeletons send shivers down my spine!  Or ghosts, whatever.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - A game about a guy lashing out because of his daddy issues.  And you get to be a raccoon?  Yes please!
We Happy Few - Drugs ya'll.  Drugs.

Wild Arms -  Look up Christine.....also, Acid Bunnies...my case, she has been rested.
2Dark - I just know this is a horror game.  However, scary stuff happens in the dark, so I was thinking...  2Scared?  Nah, 2Dark!
-klaus- - Clones!  Cause if cats have taught us anything, it's that reflections should be feared and destroyed.

Bloodborne -  I assume this game is about a disease, just based on the name.  Am I right?  Did Covid get it's own game (like 2 years early)?

SMT III: Nocturne - You become a demon, the world ends, it's a hoot and a half!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blu3st4rdust305 said:

I have read all of the discussion, back and forth, etc. No matter the cut-off, games will be excluded. Many games are much shorter but still count because of the low player count, like Ikai. Should those be excluded manually, while others are included? The rule is black and white and not subjective. Ultimately, there are tons of games that can be used here.

To keep it simple, the rules will not change. 

Everyone has the freedom to play whatever games they want, whenever they want. The rules describe which games count towards completion of this event. You are welcome to play and discuss thematic games in this thread.

You also are free to participate in this event or not. 

I am still partaking if only to show how flawed the rule is.

Since you don't change the rules then it means Ikai and other games with less than 50 achievers have to get a pass. 

4 minutes ago, MissShake said:

If you're just gonna spend your entire time whining about the rules when the event starts, for the love of god can you just not participate? Some of us maybe want to enjoy the event without reading complaints every couple hours.

Well I want to enjoy the event too, therefore I try to question the rule. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

I would love to join this sounds really fun!

1. Man of Medan ( Spooky and you know there’s evil fog!)

2.Little Nightmares ( Nightmare is in the name and basically everything wants to eat you!)

3. Lego City Undercover ( Halloween is all about dressing up and every character in the game is just Chase dressing up as different people.)

How do you look up the 50th fastest time because I have been looking up 50th first completed?

Never mind  I found it.

Edited by ch4rl1e5_jabs
  • Like 1

Ok, I think I qualify. I don’t have a lot of posts, but I do have some platinums. 

1. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - It’s kinda like Pokémon Snap……but with ghosts. Ok, a bit of an undersell for a good spooky series.
  2. Castlevania Advance Collection - All the ghouls, ghosts and devils show up to a Dracula party. Sometimes? Frankenstein……………….….’s monster.
  3. Costume Quest 2 - Well, it literally involves Halloween and trick or treating.

I have to go through my games and sort out the rest and check times.

9 hours ago, AugustUnder said:

Ok, I think I qualify. I don’t have a lot of posts, but I do have some platinums. 

1. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - It’s kinda like Pokémon Snap……but with ghosts. Ok, a bit of an undersell for a good spooky series.
  2. Castlevania Advance Collection - All the ghouls, ghosts and devils show up to a Dracula party. Sometimes? Frankenstein……………….….’s monster.
  3. Costume Quest 2 - Well, it literally involves Halloween and trick or treating.

I have to go through my games and sort out the rest and check times.

Alright, going through my collection of games I haven't finished or even started, I think I have found my full list.

1. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - 1 week, 2 days - It’s kinda like Pokémon Snap……but with ghosts. Ok, a bit of an undersell for a good spooky series.
  2. Castlevania Advance Collection - 4 days, 21 hours - All the ghouls, ghosts and devils show up to a Dracula party. Sometimes? Frankenstein……………….….’s monster.
  3. Costume Quest 2 - 7 hours, 31 minutes - Well, it literally involves Halloween and trick or treating.
  4. Serial Cleaner - 19 hours, 16 minutes - He does go door to door collecting treats.....but instead of treats, crime scene evidence. Also, maybe if you squint, it could be like the cleanup part after a Halloween movie. 
  5. Manual Samuel - 8 hours, 34 minutes - Halloween has a lot of skeletons roaming about (in windows and such) so this adventure game seems to have the personification of death hanging about and generally giving you a hard time. It feels like it could be thematically suitable. 
  6. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan - 2 days, 5 hours - This, and other games by this developer, remind me of watching horror movies on Halloween, only, you are "playing" it. 
  7. Call of Cthulhu - 7 hours, 15 minutes - H.P. Lovecraft and the unspeakable horrors that spring from his mind. Tales of creeping madness and old gods just feels like Halloween. 
  8. Wytchwood - 13 hours, 18 minutes - I think as someone else mentioned before......it's got witch (which witch is wytch?) right in the title! And also woods, probably spooky woods!
  9. Party Hard - 1 day, 2 hours - So just to kind of change things up, let's lean into the party aspect of Halloween. Let's throw a party!......said the neighbors....oh......they will pay, says the loaner with social issues and doesn't know how to express himself in a constructive manner.........ok, maybe this is a dead on Halloween game after all.
  10. Layers of Fear 2 - 1 day, 1 hour - Another game where the why is right in the title. Fear can play a big part of Halloween, so let's layer it on....I really never played these games, so, maybe you layer on fear like a sweater on flannel? Wallpaper over fear with more fear? I am sure I'll find out. 
  11. Alien Isolation - 1 day, 20 hours - A game I have had forever but have been scared to play? Yeah, this feels right. As a kid I was jealous of a friend that got to go as the alien for Halloween....I understand I still won't be the alien in this game. 
  12. Little Nightmares - 22 hours, 17 minutes - A dark whimsical tale that will confront me with my childhood fears? OK, but how did the developers know Mr. Loomis, my grade school teacher? Was he their uncle or something?
  13. The Sinking City - 1 day, 7 hours - And we are back, Mr. Lovecraft. What have we today? More unimaginable horrors? OK then. 

I do have a few games "on deck" just in case some of these slip down (up?) the time pole. I know a few of them are rubbing up against the 6 hour mark, but hopefully they maintain until this is all over. 

• Like 1