Sony increased PS5 price (Live now)

Sailar91

No surprise there, everything gets more expensive, to the point that I have a hard time imagining too many people even bothering to buy a new console for such a price at the moment. The PS5 in its current state is a bad joke, released almost 2 years ago and still people tell me that they struggle to find one in the stores, basically no system sellers as the big releases still get Ps4 versions, and now they increase the price for the piece of junk people struggle to find. If I ever even bother to upgrade my console then it will likely just happen when the PS4 breaks down and they already released the pro version that will come at some point anyway.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

I bought PS5 the year it released. Same as most of my friends. It's a great machine. I obviously did not sold it, neither my friends. I plan to buy a cat this year, but I couldn't imagine playing anything on PS4, especially on the base model.

Awesome that you're getting a cat! I was being serious as well, he did sell it for a cat.

That's fair, we are all different people. Playing Trinity: Souls of Zill Ơll on the PS3 at the moment.

• Like 2

I understand why they're doing it, but it's a bold move. We've never (to my knowledge) seen a console increase in price after launch, but then again nothing about this console generation has been normal thus far. A perfect storm of circumstances coming together to cause havoc. Will Xbox follow suit now that Sony have set the precedent? A few weeks back I recall the question of a price increase being put to Microsoft and they responded with a similar non-answer as Sony. It'll be interesting to see.

I also have to wonder if this will even make a big difference to the average buyer? I mean, a lot of people have been buying more expensive bundles anyway, because that's the only option they had to secure a PS5, so will a 10% increase make that much of a difference in the end? If you have the spare cash for a PS5 to begin with in the current climate then will an extra €50 really make or break it for you? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmland12 said:

US dollar has been strong against the yen (and euro) lately.  Probably the reason we got off the hook here.

Partly because the fed are propping up the dollar (something they shouldn't do because it'll just bite us in the ass later) and partly because the US is making a nice sum selling weapons to Ukraine and other Eastern European countries right now.

Edit: Forgot to add that it's also election season and the holidays are around the corner so a price hike now would be bad optics but I wouldn't be surprised if the US had a price hike as well next year

Edited by majob

This move will makes more people go buy a Xbox or pc, more PS exclusives port to PC on the way.  Will wait for PS5 pro,  still good with my ps4 pro and not much ps5 games interested me.  Some ps5 functions like interface,  usb save transfer still havent be improved. Good Show Jim. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShadowSkill said:

This move will makes more people go buy a Xbox or pc, more PS exclusives port to PC on the way.  Will wait for PS5 pro,  still good with my ps4 pro and not much ps5 games interested me.  Some ps5 functions like interface,  usb save transfer still havent be improved. Good Show Jim. 

I know people want to think Jim is the mastermind but the reality is that this is the work of accountants whose job is to look for ways to save money. Ryan just signs off on it

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Because of how difficult it is to buy and how desperate people are for it and would probably pay anything for it, Sony saw this an a profit making opportunity and increased the prices. 

If that were anywhere close to true, they would've jacked up the price within 6 months after release when it was red hot.  

Everything is, and has been, going up in price.  What makes you think the console components would be exempt from that?  Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner

• Like 4

I'm not shocked and glad I bought mine pretty recently. I wonder if Microsoft is gonna do the same or will they take the "we're the ones that care and didn't raise prices"  approach. I was planning on getting an Xbox once a few more games come to that platform, maybe I should just get one now. 

So possibly this news made me buy an Xbox I guess. 

The problem isn't that increased price. The problem (at least in Spain) is that you can't buy the console alone, it's impossible, you have to buy the ps5, two controllers, 3 games (usually GT7 and another 2), the headphones, etc, so you end up paying 800+ € for things you don't want to buy. If Sony addresses this problem, then fine, I'll 'gladly' pay that 50 € more for the console and just for the console, but as long as the packs are the only way to get a ps5, I'll be fine with my ps4...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the1andonly654 said:

I'm not shocked and glad I bought mine pretty recently. I wonder if Microsoft is gonna do the same or will they take the "we're the ones that care and didn't raise prices"  approach. I was planning on getting an Xbox once a few more games come to that platform, maybe I should just get one now. 

So possibly this news made me buy an Xbox I guess. 

Microsoft has never made money with Xbox to start with and the division is propped up by other far more profitable ones so I'm willing to be they'll keep their prices the same to stick it to Sony

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0825/1318703-sony-increases-playstation-price/
Sony hikes PS5 price on economic pressures, rising rates

Sony said today it was increasing the price of its PlayStation 5 games console in markets including Ireland, Europe, Japan and Britain following economic pressures including rising interest rates.

Sony said it is raising the price of the disk drive equipped version of the console to €549.99 from €499.99 previously in Europe with a similar hike in Japan.

The Japanese entertainment conglomerate said there would be no price increase in the US, where it is locked in battle with Microsoft's Xbox, which is aggressively expanding its games subscription service.

"We're seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries," Sony Interactive Entertainment's chief executive Jim Ryan said.

The price hike comes as Sony's games business has been squeezed by supply chain snarls feeding into hardware shortages, with the conglomerate aiming to boost PS5 production for the year-end shopping season.

While the price hike "is a necessity given the current global economic environment and its impact on SIE's business, our top priority continues to be improving the PS5 supply situation," gaming chief Ryan said.

Sony aims to sell 18 million units of the hit device in the current financial year after selling 11.5 million units in the year ended March.

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Not sure why people are acting shocked and outraged. Pretty much everything is increasing in price right now. PS5 production has been negatively impacted by both the pandemic (which is still going on by the way) and Russia invading Ukraine.

It's not nice news to hear, but what do you expect? Was this really a surprise to some people? News outlets have been blasting out stuff left right and centre about incoming economic issues for months now.

Except for.... erm... computers. CPU, GPU and SSD prices have dropped the past few months. RAM isnt getting any more expensive. It is funny how PC part retailers can pass on savings from the components manufacturers, but Sony who produces tens of millions of the same parts dont seem to be making any savings on manufacturing, or they are but want to increase prices anyway.

• Like 3

I figured the AUS price would be ridiculous but never imagined the MEX one! $15,000 is ludicrous! What the hell, Mexico?

I'm glad I have a PS5 already, even though I've only played Ratchet, Returnal, and Astro that I couldn't on PS4. There are some heavy hitters coming, but after 2.5 years, still pretty pathetic.

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Microsoft can afford to not raise the price.  Hell, Microsoft could probably afford to give consoles away free if they wanted.  They just subsidize Xbox losses with money from other areas

But Sony aren't exactly a poor company either, there still worth billions of dollars just not trillion dollars. Sony act as though there poor and people act as though there poor too and there not.