Sony increased PS5 price (Live now)

Sailar91

10 minutes ago, UNLEADED_BRONZE said:

PS5/V/Five failed JPN

RIP thats gotta hurt

Xbox big seller in JPN

An update back in June placed PS5 sales in Japan at over 1.7m. 

Xbox Series sales in Japan at the same time were below 250k. 

So Xbox is a big seller in Japan with 250k units sold, but PlayStation has somehow "failed" with sales of 1.7m? Xbox has never sold well in Japan, to the point that the market is seen as an automatic write-off for Microsoft every console generation. And whilst demand for PS5 overall might be lower in Japan when compared to consoles in previous generations, there are legitimate reasons for that. One such reason (and the most obvious) being supply issues which continue to persist and likely will for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JediKnight_327 said:

Except for.... erm... computers. CPU, GPU and SSD prices have dropped the past few months. RAM isnt getting any more expensive. It is funny how PC part retailers can pass on savings from the components manufacturers, but Sony who produces tens of millions of the same parts dont seem to be making any savings on manufacturing, or they are but want to increase prices anyway.

This

Inflation is just an excuse imo to charge the customers more. Prices for the parts were dropping throughout the last 2 years, so Sony is making more money per PS than when it was released in Nov 20. Same tatctic with the 10$/€ increase for the games, they are earing more every year through MXT and more sold units per game, but are also ripping off the gamers because "costs are rising".

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

But Sony aren't exactly a poor company either, there still worth billions of dollars just not trillion dollars. Sony act as though there poor and people act as though there poor too and there not. 

People should understand that net worth isn't liquid cash.

31 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

Jim Ryan has only one thing in mind, money, he has irreversibly damaged the PS brand, not just with this, this is just one more move in a long line

A CEO is concerned with making money?! Hold the phone! Stop the presses! This is BIG NEWS! The guy whose job is to make money is concerned with making money!!!!

• Like 3

Honestly, long overdue with the lack of supply, high demand and inflationary pressures.

Do people not realize that earlier generations were actually much more expensive in real dollars?

As an example, the PS3 at $599 in 2006 is equivalent of paying $880 for it in today’s dollars.  Yet, they tried to release this console at $599 (the equivalent of $400 in 2006 dollars).  

That they kept game retail prices the same ($59.99) for so long was absurd.  No wonder they had to try and make up for the ballooning production costs with DLC add-ons everywhere.

• Like 4

I’ve noticed the Japanese store is very conservative compared to Europe and America, maybe being able to buy from cross (stackable) stores is for their benefit and why Sony enables it ? You would have thought the Japan store would have been the very best, or maybe they just put the cheap’n’ nasty games in our stores?, I personally hate Microsoft for the record, Sony&apple are the best.

13 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Ohh well i won't buy one then for another 2 years. For me there is hardly any games.

Same here tbh.

So far the only PS5 only game that interests me is Demon Souls Remake. Aside of that PS5 has nothing so far that makes me wanna buy one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JediKnight_327 said:

In large because companies are getting ready to release new iterations so the older parts are going to obviously go down in price. You also fail to realize that the price increase is due to currency devaluation, which has nothing to do with the price of parts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, majob said:

A CEO is concerned with making money?! Hold the phone! Stop the presses! This is BIG NEWS! The guy whose job is to make money is concerned with making money!!!!

a CEO's job is to protect the interests of the investors, short term money is not long term money, you can make moves that will bring profits now but damage potential future profits, the job of the CEO is to balance the operations for long term, if the absolute priority was to make money, why sell the PS5 at a loss from the start? why not charge $1000 for it, and $100 for games and call it a day, let's make money right? every company has to adjust to the times, but not every company passes those adjustments on their consumers

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

a CEO's job is to protect the interests of the investors

You should have stopped here. People who talk of long term growth have a poor grasp of business. Long term growth is a poor plan in commerical business, long term is for things that have less risk and volatility and videogames are volatile as hell. What's hot today can be forgotten tomorrow, that's terrible for long term focus unless you're Microsoft where you're already worth trillions and can take hits forever because other revenue streams can cover the loss. SIE is Sony's bread and butter right now, long term growth is a terrible strategy when your business lives and dies off the performance of one division. The PS3 nearly ended Sony and it was built with long term growth in mind

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, majob said:

You should have stopped here. People who talk of long term growth have a poor grasp of business. Long term growth is a poor plan in commerical business, long term is for things that have less risk and volatility and videogames are volatile as hell. What's hot today can be forgotten tomorrow, that's terrible for long term focus unless you're Microsoft where you're already worth trillions and can take hits forever because other revenue streams can cover the loss. SIE is Sony's bread and butter right now, long term growth is a terrible strategy when your business lives and dies off the performance of one division.

PlayStation is not a new kid on the block that needs to make radical moves to survive, they are an established brand and the brand image comes before short term profit

The PS3 nearly ended Sony and it was built with long term growth in mind

aha, and I'm so glad that they increased the price of the PS3 to get out of that problem, oh wait....

Edited by The Investigator

7 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Yeah, this is an absolute nothing burger, not that it will prevent most of the posters here from going off. This is all about currency.

I haven't done the calculation for every region, but here's some simple examples for the disc based version. This one retails for $500 US.

Current US to Canada dollar conversion is 77 cents (1 Canadian dollar is worth 77 cents US). So $500 comes out to $646.27. New PS5 price in Canada? $650. That checks out

Current US to British pound conversion is $1.18 (1 British pound is worth $1.18 US). So $500 comes out to £422.86. UK price still needs VAT added, which is another 20%, so that brings the UK console to £507.43. Unless I have VAT wrong, it means UK is actually getting the console at a slight discount.

Current US to Euro conversion is basically 1 to 1 - so an US dollar is worth 1 Euro. So the PS5 should be 500 Euros, but again VAT needs to be added. I think this varies slightly by region, but again is around 20% average so the console should be 600 Euros. At 549.99 EU seems to be getting a slight discount, the same as UK.

Happy to be corrected if my VAT calculations are incorrect, but based on the above, this is simply price adjustment to reflect current currency exchange rates, not an overall price increase.

Cool, just used a USD/AUD Converter (just through Google, but the results are typical) PS5 should have been $717 here in Australia by that logic, was $750 and now up to $800 ?‍♂️

Already have my PS5/XsX so whatever, but still... PS5 is definitely fucked here though, everyone I know already loves Game Pass and are far more interested in the Xbox Series X 

8 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

PlayStation is not a new kid on the block that needs to make radical moves to survive, they are an established brand and the brand image comes before short term profit

aha, and I'm so glad that they increased the price of the PS3 to get out of that problem, oh wait....

Being old guard means nothing. Sega, though most of its troubles were self inflicted, had to bow out as losses mounted. The price decrease of the PS3 didn't save Sony, it was the stellar performance of the PS4. Trimming the fat off the PS3 to decrease prices merely patched up the wound. They played catch up until the end of the system's life cycle.

4 minutes ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

Cool, just used a USD/AUD Converter (just through Google, but the results are typical) PS5 should have been $717 here in Australia by that logic, was $750 and now up to $800 ?‍♂️

Already have my PS5/XsX so whatever, but still... PS5 is definitely fucked here though, everyone I know already loves Game Pass and are far more interested in the Xbox Series X 

That most likely includes tax. We don't add sales tax to our prices because it varies by state and some don't have any sales tax at all

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

You forgot tax. Australian VAT is 10% I think? So add 10% to your $717, it comes out to $788.70. So, yeah, by that logic, your $800 seems just about right.

I want to add, in Canada, like the US, we don't have taxes added to the list price, they are added at the cash register. Unlike the US, we have both provincial and federal sales taxes. In Ontario, the combined tax is 13% (some places like Alberta are lower, they have no provincial sales taxes, other like the maritimes are higher).

But that means the actual price of a PS5 in Ontario, Canada is $734.49

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tosmasta00 said:

Same here tbh.

So far the only PS5 only game that interests me is Demon Souls Remake. Aside of that PS5 has nothing so far that makes me wanna buy one.

Honestly for me its only Lost soul aside and Project eve. And FF7 Remake Rebirth. But not spending that kind of money either way

• Like 1

This is a disasterously dumb move unless microsoft follows suit and raises the series x prices as well. But knowing microsoft i wouldn't be surprised if they announced a price drop to counter this. They could have gotten away with this in 2014 or 2015, but with the xbox brand being the strongest its been since the early 360 era, them being hetter at keeping consoles on shelves combined with the fact they have been gobbling up publishers like crazy fixing the lack of exclusive problem this is literally the worst time to pull a stunt like this.

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'm surprised at every poster in here who apparently hasn't been affected by a single price increase for anything in the last two years and is now having their first experience with the PS5, which has miraculously aligned with their narrative on how terribly Sony is run, using cherry-picked examples to justify their armchair economic analysis.

Price increase suck generally. But they're pretty common in 2022, worldwide, in pretty unprecedented times for sourcing, logistics, labor, currency volitivity, and just about everything else. Sony/PlayStation doesn't exist in the bubble people seem to think it does.

We're just skeptical that they pay the same amount for the components in the PS5 today as they did when they started production 2-3 years ago.

I bought a 1tb M.2 SSD on black friday last year and its already £25 cheaper. And looking at price trackers, its about £50-£60 cheaper compared to 2 years ago. Technology always drops in price, even if you factor in inflation.