Sony increased PS5 price (Live now)

Sailar91

Sony making Sony decisions, ever since moving to California things keeps getting worse, with some really weird and anti consumer business choices, next news, "Sony will sell PS5 without controler and cables" , well I was going to get one next year but with this shitty news and the fact that are literally 3 games exclusive to PS5 that I want to buy I'll just pass for now and buy more PS4 games, heck to be honest I'd play more PS4 games on my PS5 than PS5 only games so no loss.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 2

Everything is going up. It's because of every nation giving out money free money during covid. I don't know how many are in the US in this post but they were gave 800 dollars a week for unemployment to do nothing. I had to work thought the pandemic because I work for a pharmaceutical company.

Still have my PS3 (and a TON of games on it still), play my PS4 PRO and working on the backlog. I'm in no rush to buy a PS5 right now. With no many games on there that'll entice me to get a PS5 right now, I feel that the US will get a price hike on it next year. Only a matter of time. IF they release a PS5 PRO, I'll get it then. But I'm in no rush. 

• Like 1

Meh, not like there is that much to play on a PS5 at the moment. Waiting for the price to drop again will allow me to clear my backlog and maybe, just maybe will also decrease the sales of the units, hurting the scalpers.

Overall there is a silver lining to this, even though I obviously hate price increases, like everyone else under the sun.

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Sony making Sony decisions, ever since moving to California things keeps getting worse

SIE Japan were the masterminds of the PS3 disaster while the move of SIE to California coincided with larger PS4 sales and increased profits. I know some people want to think California ruined everything but evidence points to them salvaging the whole operation

Edited by majob
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ShadowSkill said:

This move will makes more people go buy a Xbox or pc, more PS exclusives port to PC on the way.  Will wait for PS5 pro,  still good with my ps4 pro and not much ps5 games interested me.  Some ps5 functions like interface,  usb save transfer still havent be improved. Good Show Jim. 

Xbox is trash nobody buy it its sit on everystore as Dekoration. There wont be a ps 5 pro greetings ya manjak.

Seems like Sony is taking notes from Facebook's Quest 2 VR headset :lol:

On a more serious note, the PS5 doesn't offer that much compared to a, relatively cheap, PS4 nowadays to consider buying it, let alone in the increased price. It's been almost 3 years since It's launch and I can still count with 1 hand the amount of games I actually want to play and can't on PS4, the rest are either cross-gen, available for cheaper eslewhere or not worth the upgrade until a price drop comes around in a couple of years :dunno:

20 minutes ago, majob said:

SIE Japan were the masterminds of the PS3 disaster while the move of SIE to California coincided with larger PS4 sales and increased profits. I know some people want to think California ruined everything but evidence points to them salvaging the whole operation

People like to conveniently forget how badly the PlayStation brand was doing during the initial years of the PS3 era, because it doesn't fit their narrative that Jim Ryan is the devil and Sony moving their HQ to California is somehow the reason for everything wrong with Sony and PlayStation today in their eyes. I explained my reasoning behind why I think certain people love mentioning Sony and California in the same sentence, so I won't go into it again here, but long story short it's BS. 

16 minutes ago, Sagaan said:

Xbox is trash nobody buy it its sit on everystore as Dekoration. There wont be a ps 5 pro greetings ya manjak.

C'mon mate, this isn't Twitter. Must we devolve into console war nonsense? 

• Like 3

I really don't think it's a big deal.

1. These consoles are sold at a loss, when the materials to make them increase in price that loss is even more significant. This is just an unfortunate part of the supply shortage that the world is facing. Sony doesn't have infinite pockets to sell consoles for a more significant loss than they initially planned.
  2. People have already proven they are willing to pay far more than a console's $500 launch price. As far as I can see, people are still buying up consoles around the $800 price point. They shouldn't have to, but it proves people still see value in it. If it helps them become more available, it's a positive for most people.
  3. People are saying Sony set the precedent, but Nintendo did this with the Switch where the OLED model cost an extra $50 (that's a far bigger percentage-wise than what Sony did here).
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Global businesses don't have the luxury of the components wholesale cost being the sole final cost determiner. I'm sure some analysis of AMD's agreement (Sony's sole supplier) and Foxconn's production as well as currency volitivity will be put out on some sites with the time to paint a bigger picture for this soon.

Yes, asking people to expand their ignorant views and try learning some stuff is defending corporations. You got me there.

You dont need to see the agreement. You just have to look at every other console in history. Over time they cost significantly cheaper to produce and the savings are passed on to the customer.

What about 2 years from now. Do you think AMD will be charging the same amount to Sony for their ancient chips, while also selling 6th gen Ryzen to PC consumers for how much Ryzen 5 is today?

It's unfortunate for those that don't already own a PS5, myself included, but thats just the reality we live in today. Look, I know we're all here on a website dedicated to Sony consoles, so of course people will be upset, but there are far more worrying things affecting people right now....can i afford to feed my family this week? Will I be able to pay my rent/mortgage this month? Sony are just one of many, many corporations raising their prices. I don't think it's a real dick move by Sony at all.

• Like 1

You know Lego just had to hike their prices up for many sets by over $70 for many of them. This is a toy series that uses next to no electronic components and the cost of materials has risen so quickly, that they couldn't keep up with costs to produce the sets, and sets that have been on the market for awhile now(including the Horizon Zero Dawn Tallneck) had to have a new higher price tag. Their larger sets now reflect this price increase globally.

It's not surprising that this is happening to games. Everything is more expensive in general than it was a year ago. It's very likely that Microsoft and Nintendo will wind up taking similar measures in some form down the road. Nintendo is probably going to have a higher price for their switch successor than previous consoles. They've already had to cut switch production numbers because they can't gather enough resources,

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JediKnight_327 said:

You dont need to see the agreement. You just have to look at every other console in history. Over time they cost significantly cheaper to produce and the savings are passed on to the customer.

What about 2 years from now. Do you think AMD will be charging the same amount to Sony for their ancient chips, while also selling 6th gen Ryzen to PC consumers for how much Ryzen 5 is today?

Every other console in history hasn't had such restraint in suppliers with just one, AMD, bottlenecking so many industries at one time. AMD had to lock in order sizes at locked prices for periods of time so that they would accept their orders to even prioritize the work. That hasn't happened in history so comparing it is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I wish they had done this much earlier. The price of the PS5 was clearly below what the market would pay for it (hence the large number of scalpers). Had they appropriately priced the console at release, they likely could have done away with the secondary market.

Like others, I'm no fan of price increases years into the life of a console. But if it finally puts the damn thing in stores, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JediKnight_327 said:

It already has.  A PS3 sold in 2006 for $599.  That would be the equivalent of $880 in today’s dollars!  That the PS5 cost only $599 in today’s dollars despite the huge demand, limited supply, and inflationary pressures was kind of crazy low.  Scalpers saw an arbitrage opportunity and made a killing.

And the technology is obviously much more advanced in what is being offered (and much cheaper in real dollars).

You either ignore or miss the concept of currency devaluation.  That is the primary driver here and why game prices finally went to $70 (long overdue).

• Like 1

I actually saw this and immediately bought one (Fingerhut, sigh....renting to own price hacks are super neato), but my logic was based on this.  While I know they aren't upping the price here, I saw enough folks usually the qualifier "yet" I decided to be safe.  Might give my PS4 to someone for Xmas...regardless, I think this move is silly.  Like, I get it's probably more expensive, but they have to find a way to handle this.  Financing of some kind would be nice, or even allowing klarnas on their websites (which they do, but they don't work on PS5's because they are technically pre-orders).  I just like the notion of price hikes coming with a silly little pamphlet that says "More ways to pay!"...like back in the day.  I don't know enough about economics to say anymore than "I wish" though.