Sony increased PS5 price (Live now)

Sailar91

2 hours ago, majob said:

The mindset is that demand is strong enough that the price adjustment won't put a dent in sales since it's still pretty much sold out everywhere. I'd say those analysts are overestimating demand but that's just me. Microsoft is going to have a field day if they aren't already because the series S is now $250 cheaper instead of just $200 cheaper

but it is still 100% worse and the PS5 discless edition is still cheaper than the Series X for people that want a discless unit but don't want to sacrifice other things.

Have we gotten to the point in video game consoles that simply being the cheapest is all the matters? 

Like "let's walk into Target and buy the cheapest cooking pan because all cooking pans are functionally the same?" level of gaming?

• Like 1

I managed to secure a PS5 during launch day by walking physically into a store (Gamestop) literally the hour they announced the PS5. Think that might be something people should do if they want a launch console. However, it seems they were major confusion at the time regarding preorders.

Not surprised by the price increase to be honest but I'm glad it's at least not in the US.

29 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Have we gotten to the point in video game consoles that simply being the cheapest is all the matters? 

Like "let's walk into Target and buy the cheapest cooking pan because all cooking pans are functionally the same?" level of gaming?

Most of us would be happy if we could just say, "Let's walk into Target and buy a PS5". 

18 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I always laugh when I hear ppl say there's no reason to buy a PS5 my launch PS4 works just fine

Then laugh because every game I would play on PS5 if I bought one it's already on PS4 thus I see no reason to buy a PS5 right now. Same reason I never cared for upgrading to a PS4 Pro. Different types of gamers I guess.

For me, every time I buy a new console is about "not missing out". I've been playing since the NES era and it's always the same, a bunch of games release that are too good to release on the old system and also too good for me to pass out and not play them. I always try to hold and stay and try to finish the backlog on my current console, but I always fold in the end and when I buy it to play those new games it's always worth it to leave the old great console I was playing behind.

I bought a PS4 on october of 2015 (1 year and 11 months after it released, we are right now at 1 year and almost 10 months since PS5 released). I held for a long time but MKX not releasing on PS3 and Bloodborne being a PS4 exclusive forced my hand. I just couldn't miss out on playing those games

To me, PS5 generation has been very dissapointing. If all you can offer me is better loading times on the same games I already play, then I'm ok missing out on this one and continuing playing on my vanilla PS4. You need to give me something more here to make the jump.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Most of us would be happy if we could just say, "Let's walk into Target and buy a PS5". 

and I was just happy buying one for myself.

no clue that happiness for a consumer could be derived from how fully stocked a store's shelf is.

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

and I was just happy buying one for myself.

no clue that happiness for a consumer could be derived from how fully stocked a store's shelf is.

Well it would make sense that it would lower the aggravation/effort or being forced into buying a bundle.

• Like 1

https://www.gamesradar.com/japanese-players-are-begging-for-final-fantasy-16-on-steam-after-the-ps5-price-hike/

There's a bunch of articles like this popping up. Many also are demanding immediate remedies like closing down Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog and rehiring everyone from Japan studio because everything they made was miles above what Sony's Western Studios put out. Now I may be mistaken but I think the PS3 was pretty much kept afloat by Naughty Dog with the Uncharted games and TLOU, none of their Japanese first party games made by Japan Studio really helped the PS3 all that much as compared to those games.

I think people are overblowing just how much trouble the PS5 is in(if any) because I think the PS3's launch and following years were much worse. There's many that are saying Sony needs to fail like Sega did so they can return to their true japanese roots, but the PS3 was the last console that was really in trouble and that gave more notoriety to their western studios in the first place.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

On 25/08/2022 at 10:51 AM, AJ_-_808 said:

If that were anywhere close to true, they would've jacked up the price within 6 months after release when it was red hot.  

Everything is, and has been, going up in price.  What makes you think the console components would be exempt from that?  Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner

I don't think anything like this has every happened with any other console or piece of technology to begin with, with regards to increasing price ages after release. Often companies decrease the price or leave it the same, but not increase it.  Not even Apple ever did that with their iPhones, and Nintendo and Xbox have no plans either, so that is what is surprising. The PS5 is the only piece of tech that I've ever seen this happen to in my whole life as far as official retail prices go (obviously excluding third party sellers and sellers selling out of production retro stuff for high prices). It's a really strange thing overall

13 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I don't think anything like this has every happened with any other console or piece of technology to begin with, with regards to increasing price ages after release. Often companies decrease the price or leave it the same, but not increase it.  Not even Apple ever did that with their iPhones, and Nintendo and Xbox have no plans either, so that is what is surprising. The PS5 is the only piece of tech that I've ever seen this happen to in my whole life as far as official retail prices go (obviously excluding third party sellers and sellers selling out of production retro stuff for high prices). It's a really strange thing overall

Meta raised the price of the Quest 2 by $100 a few weeks back and the Quest 2 came out around the same time as the PS5, so it's not the first time it has happened in the tech space. Although I agree that it's a strange thing, but this has been far from a typical console generation thus far due to ongoing external factors, so I doubt it will be the last strange thing we see this generation. 

while i wont be effected by the price hike, im not in any rush to get a ps5. dont get me wrong, i want one, but all the major ps5 games i want are also on the ps4 which i have so, im good for now. i've resigned myself to wait until i can walk into walmart target whatever and just buy one. once this shortage is resolved and i dont have to try to be online to get ahold of a midnight drop of ps5s somewhere ill just due without.

54 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

We've never been in a global pandemic that shutdown entire countries and causing massive bottlenecks in production lines, not to mention the Russian invasion further screwing up the world.

Agreed, it's unprecedented, but so is the world situation 

Edit

Keep in mind, that things changing right now aren't necessarily due to real-time events.  Meaning there's a chance Sony has been trying to avoid this/putting it off and hoping the situation would go back to normal. They could have been eating the extra costs for a while and maybe just can't justify it anymore?  I hesitate about posting that notion because it'll probably attract the "Sony evil greedy corporation" crowd

Edited by AJ_-_808

4 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/japanese-players-are-begging-for-final-fantasy-16-on-steam-after-the-ps5-price-hike/

There's a bunch of articles like this popping up. Many also are demanding immediate remedies like closing down Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog and rehiring everyone from Japan studio because everything they made was miles above what Sony's Western Studios put out. Now I may be mistaken but I think the PS3 was pretty much kept afloat by Naughty Dog with the Uncharted games and TLOU, none of their Japanese first party games made by Japan Studio really helped the PS3 all that much as compared to those games.

What alternate Universe are those people living in if they think closing down two of Sony's most profitable studios would actually help the PlayStation brand? ?

As talented as Japan Studio was, they were underperforming commercially. Some of that is on Sony, like not making Puppeteer a PS4 launch title, but Japan Studio was never a sales juggernaut. Many Japan Studio alumni have also gone on to create their own studios and I doubt they want to go back to working under Sony.  

And they think doing any of this would stop the PS5 price hike? How can people be so clueless. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 10:37 AM, KIERONOO said:

Jim Ryan era continues to be a shitshow

With less jp devs for me lol

Next year might be time to go back to pc and play some classics the cheapest way and let Sony charge them more on their platform for having trophies while selling shovelware plats for 1$ lmao... 

It stinks of shovelware and tired of it.

5 hours ago, djb5f said:

Well it would make sense that it would lower the aggravation/effort or being forced into buying a bundle.

I am aggravated because there is a bundle at gamestop that includes a game and extra controller? All at MSRP. 

You do know that you return those new items with a receipt, right? Nevermind that you might already want that game and another controller.

I bought my PS5 then bought 3 games, 2 controllers, a charging dock, and headset. A bundle doesn't sound aggravating to me. It sounds like a normal transaction for a gamer getting a new consoles unless you are really a scalper just looking for the system. 

2 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Apple increase their phone prices all the time.

Meta just increased the price of their VR headset.

A company saying that they have no plans shouldn't be confused with them saying "no". Plans change. It is a waffle/business word. They didn't make a definitive statement. Stop getting finessed. 

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

I am aggravated because there is a bundle at gamestop that includes a game and extra controller? All at MSRP. 

You do know that you return those new items with a receipt, right? Nevermind that you might already want that game and another controller.

I bought my PS5 then bought 3 games, 2 controllers, a charging dock, and headset. A bundle doesn't sound aggravating to me. It sounds like a normal transaction for a gamer getting a new consoles unless you are really a scalper just looking for the system.

Not sure why you are arguing this outside that you just seem to like to argue.

Checking websites routinely for possible supply drops and hoping you are available at that time and are one of the few ti nab one before supplies quickly run out is obvious not an ideal customer experience.

Nor was signing up for GameStop Pro Rewards annual subscription or whatever it was called just to have a chance.  And then to have a bundle loaded up with PS Plus (that I never pay full price for), as well as 2 games (which I almost never pay full price for, one which I still haven’t played almost a year later) is also not ideal.  And this almost a year after launch.

It was still worth it to me or I wouldn’t have made the purchase but compare that experience to walking into a Retail store at your convenience (or better yet online) and order a PS5.  Night and day difference.

Obviously it is a much different experience for anyone who values their time or money.

I am not knocking Sony that demand is high and supply lower than expected.  But don’t be obtuse that the experiences that I describe aren’t very different.  That you’d argue with someone who wishes they could’ve simply walked into a store to purchase one to save on the headache?  Lolz

21 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Apple increase their phone prices all the time.

Meta just increased the price of their VR headset.

A company saying that they have no plans shouldn't be confused with them saying "no". Plans change. It is a waffle/business word. They didn't make a definitive statement. Stop getting finessed. 

No Apple don't increase prices after release of an iphone, it stays the same price. They increase the price of the subsequent model, but models otherwise stay the same price. I wasn't referring to different models, I was referring to the same model, like the iPhone 13 is released at a certain price and stays at that price. They don't just suddenlt decide to increase the price of the iPhone 13 two years later. So you misunderstood my comment, the iphone 13 is the same price as it was when it was first released, at least in the UK anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, Paperclip1776 said:

No consumers like costs to increase, and our Mods statement above is accurate.  Everything is going up in price, including computer components.  Some specific component costs might have gone down over time but you have to factor in the entire production process that is affected by rising costs not just a few components.  There's no way Sony wanted to raise prices because this generation is much closer in competition than the previous one.  PR on this looks bad and they know it but as another poster said so well, this is Sony's most profitable market and they can't afford to lose money in their flagship division.

I understand players upset with this decision and I understand posts that indicate this frustration, saying things like they won't buy it now or that they'll stick with the PS4 until the price drops.  Those types of posts make sense to me because their personal situation is affected by the increase.  The posts, however, that pretend to know something about how a business is run, or better yet, how a large corporation is run with thousands and thousands of investors and billions of dollars in expenses every year, are uneducated responses that they piggybacked off of something they Googled or a knee-jerk reaction to their disappointment/disagreement.  I agreed with @majob, @AJ_-_808, @diskdocx@Crispy_Oglop and any other poster I missed that correctly described the current global market.

Business only cares about the bottom line. I'm an old school gamer who is part of a very small minority that hunts trophies. I'm not part of the equation and I haven't been for a long time.

I'm more concerned with the supply shortage in general, not just the lack of PS5s since my local Best Buy and Walmart are still struggling to obtain copies to this day in September. The current global market is shit, but I'm already delving off topic here as I don't want this to turn into another long winded political rant as I tend to find myself doing from time to time.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:50 AM, The Alchemist said:

People like to conveniently forget how badly the PlayStation brand was doing during the initial years of the PS3 era, because it doesn't fit their narrative that Jim Ryan is the devil and Sony moving their HQ to California is somehow the reason for everything wrong with Sony and PlayStation today in their eyes. I explained my reasoning behind why I think certain people love mentioning Sony and California in the same sentence, so I won't go into it again here, but long story short it's BS.

Xbox 360 had more good exclusives in the early going. Sony struggled because of the high price tag and they got ahead of themselves after the runaway success that was the PS2.

Personally, I want to see Sony get pegged down a bit, because they practically ran away with the competition during the PS4 generation. Xbox Game Pass is having some long time Xbox fans come back, but at this point Xbox may as well be gaming on PC, since Microsoft has fully integrated Xbox with Windows. And you're going to be playing on the PC anyway if you want the best quality experience.

Nintendo is largely on its own. But in short, Sony in California is no different to how a lot of Silicon Valley businesses are run.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:21 AM, RoastedPeanut said:

It's unfortunate for those that don't already own a PS5, myself included, but thats just the reality we live in today. Look, I know we're all here on a website dedicated to Sony consoles, so of course people will be upset, but there are far more worrying things affecting people right now....can i afford to feed my family this week? Will I be able to pay my rent/mortgage this month? Sony are just one of many, many corporations raising their prices. I don't think it's a real dick move by Sony at all.

It's a dystopian society we live in today. Anyone who doesn't see that has their head buried in the sand.

Baby Boomers got all the breaks. Millennials and Zoomers will be paying the price soon enough.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, Sendai-Horatio said:

You know Lego just had to hike their prices up for many sets by over $70 for many of them. This is a toy series that uses next to no electronic components and the cost of materials has risen so quickly, that they couldn't keep up with costs to produce the sets, and sets that have been on the market for awhile now(including the Horizon Zero Dawn Tallneck) had to have a new higher price tag. Their larger sets now reflect this price increase globally.

It's not surprising that this is happening to games. Everything is more expensive in general than it was a year ago. It's very likely that Microsoft and Nintendo will wind up taking similar measures in some form down the road. Nintendo is probably going to have a higher price for their switch successor than previous consoles. They've already had to cut switch production numbers because they can't gather enough resources,

I guess it isn't a coincidence that pirating has gone up in recent years. What Nintendo Switch is offering in regards to their subscriptions is ridiculous. PlayStation Plus Premium is already too much if you wish to stream old PS3 games onto your PS4 or PS5.

We're already in another recession so to speak. For Millennials this is practically the third one we've dealt with.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:29 AM, starcrunch061 said:

I wish they had done this much earlier. The price of the PS5 was clearly below what the market would pay for it (hence the large number of scalpers). Had they appropriately priced the console at release, they likely could have done away with the secondary market.

Like others, I'm no fan of price increases years into the life of a console. But if it finally puts the damn thing in stores, I'm all for it.

Most of the games on the PS5 you can either play on PS4 or just play on PC anyway. So far I just see a small number of titles worth buying, and with shortages still widespread it's probably better to just wait.

Also seeing the horrid PS5 interface doesn't exactly make me enticed to jump onto it anyway.

Lego kits also went up in price.  This is what inflation is people. A PS5 is a luxury item which no one needs. 

I get that no one under 20 has been part of any real adversity, heck at 45 ive barely seen any. 

Just remember, it could be worse, potentially we could be waiting in line 4 hours for a loaf of bread.  

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1