Should I even go for this platinum?

I did it twice and boredom only set in at the end of my 2nd platinum playthrough. The game is unique enough that you'll either love it or hate it, but at the same time it may be hard to tell if you'll enjoy it without actually sinking at least a few hours into it. I thought I'll hate it when I first played it, then it quickly grew on me, once I unlocked some useful gear. 

Honestly the worst part for me was the DC content, like races and Half-Life missions, etc. Most of it was pure crap. 

Also, if you do some side orders while you play through the story, do a couple of convenient ones at a time and set up zip lines wherever you go, you won't really need to do post game grind. The story will take longer obviously, but that way the grindiest trophies in the game don't feel like a grind at all. Whether it'll be fun or not, depends if you like the actual game. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

It Took Me a few months After finishing the Story, which is Great, to Turn back to the Game  to plat it. If u know what to do it can be a Little Bit Boring, but After turning back and doing the stuff listen to some podcasts or other things Building fast Travel posibilities i felt How Great this game is. With the new content on ps5 its more enjoyable. Do it. 

Edited by VER7UZ-
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd chime in on this now I've finally achieved the platinum after two years ?

I won't lie that the post game grind is a little rough, my overall play time came in at 110 hours and you will do a lot of travelling back and forth across your imperative zip line network to get every facility to five stars. 

But somehow the game remains engaging for the most part that allows for a unique experience that I definitely think stands out against a lot of other games. So if you like the look of the game and either have the patience or are happy to take your time getting this game done, then it's definitely worth your time!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just started this game (finally), a couple hours ago. I feel stupid, cause I bought the ps4 version on sale for $40 back in 2020 and never played it. And now I'm playing the ps5 version on ps plus....anyways.

So far though, I'm looking forward way more to the cutscenes than the gameplay segments. I'm sure it'll get more interesting after unlocking more things. But I hope the grind does get engaging enough to keep up with it. 

I'm not too worried if I drop it before the platinum, but the story is fascinating enough due to how weird and convoluted Kojima's games can be. 

48 minutes ago, victorrfuego said:

If you love the game like I did, I would go for it :)

Well, I like the story aspects. It's intriguing as hell. So far, during the cutscenes i keep thinking, "I'd watch the hell out the this if it was a TV series."

So far I've reached chapter 2, after you leave the Private room after being given your primary story objective (tryna be spoiler free here).

Yet, I have the same feeling as when I played Snake Eater almost 20 years ago on ps2. 

I love the story, I'm into the characters, but im not too interested in the actual gameplay of it. I trudged through MGS3 just to see the story unfold. 

And years later when it re released on ps3/vita, I replayed it of course. But I had zero interest in going for the trophies 100% due to the tediousness of it. 

I'm def gonna play this out, but I'll be surprised if I obtain the platinum. 

And I know Kojima's reputation. Of loving John carpenter films and whatnot, and wanting to get into cinema, but falling into video game development. 

He is a fantastic story/world creator, but has a niche for gameplay. Which I appreciate. I'm just not sure yet If it's for me. 

22 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

I was weirdly compelled to try and finish this one, I'm not sure I'd call it as masterpiece but if you don't mind a very long, slow grind you might as well plat it.

If you look into my trophy list, you'll see that I've definitely put up with some very long and slow grinds over my 12 years of trophy hunting. 

The first that comes to mind is replaying "shadows of the damned" three times in a row because the difficulty trophies didn't stack. And I got bored halfway through the second playthrough. 

But you are right, it is weirdly compelling so far. 

• Like 2

It depends on whether you like the game? I’d never go for the Platinum in a game unless I enjoy it.

Personally for me, Death Stranding was a truly special experience, loved the story and the world, adored the gameplay and exploration etc. when I played on PS4.

Theres quite literally no other game like it on the market, but because of that it’s impossible to tell if you’re going to like it enough to Platinum it or not without playing it first. Just be prepared for around 100 hours

The grind really isn't that bad, provided you understand how maxing out each connection works. If you don't want spoilers on how this game mechanic works and you want to figure it out for yourself, don't read what follows.

Some people will tell you they don't want to join the UCA and start with no stars filled. You turn in a couple deliveries to them and the first star will stop being filled just before it is full and you will actually see a sliver missing. No matter how many deliveries you turn into them, the star won't fill until you've read an email from them. Leave the area and go rest in a private room a few times until you get an email from them and then go back and see if turning in a delivery maxes out the first star and starts on the second.

This can happen again before filling the second star for them. Repeat the same process, go to a private room out of the area and rest a few times until an email comes in, read it and then continue turn ins.

I think there were even some that locked off the third star completion in this manner, but generally once you start filling the 4th star this shouldn't happen again. Most people sign a full contract with the UCA once the 3rd star fills. They might continue to send you emails, but those shouldn't prevent maxing out connection levels the way it does early on.

As long as you're paying attention to that and not turning in to people that have progress locked, maxing your connections isn't really that bad. On my second platinum--full replay for the DC--knowing that I was able to max most connections before moving on to the next area just during normal play.

Edited by MatCauthon_42
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the story but that was it, a whole world full of nothing except either MULE's in specific locations that you just drive around or BT's where you have to walk extremely slowly to get past. There's a reason they put the balance mechanic in, because without it, what else is there to do?

Because of all of that I found the grind difficult to bare once the story was done, so dull. If you are going to do it, ensure you are online and use ziplines as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, I commented on this after a few hours of playing. Wasn't really into the delivery gameplay and all that. But I'm now at episode 8, 60 hours in, and I'd say it definitely gets way more interesting and the gameplay feels a hell of a lot more satisfying. 

True, you gotta spend some time building up roads, and you gotta spend time setting up some ziplines. (I'm not that smart ingenuity wise so I referred to Lord Vampair's zipline guide as I progressed after unlocking ziplines. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2225977773 ) highly recommended if you don't have the patience to figure it out yourself. 

At this point, I'm definitely committed to the platinum. I just hope I have enough time to do so before Final Fantasy 16 comes out....

As the1andonly654 commented above, as long as you work towards standard orders (as well as doing the 20 Legend of Legends orders for each of the 4 categories) while progressing, the post game grind won't be so much of a grind exactly. 

When you get to the central region. It's really cool to put up a structure and then hours and hours later find out that it helped out a handful of other players and have over a thousand likes on it. I think that alone is worth going for the platinum. 

Edited by Profeelgood

The grind never felt like much of a grind for me. The variety of transport tools you get each have their own place in the game, and can make your life much easier.

I definitely think this is a game a person either loves or hates. The world building is what did it for me. Story was interesting and combat was satisfactory.  

Enjoy the road to your plat!

• Like 2

Road to platinum experience it's mostly tied to how you approach the big open world game type, if you don't rush it and enjoy reading stuff, immersing into the environment, building infrastructure, especially the zipline transport, roads, combined with a more stealth approach will get you to the end goal.

I personally enjoyed the journey, and as a little spoiler I always believed there was something funny about that pizza delivery

I'm in the end game and really finding this game to be a chore to plat.  I just feel like I'm going at a 2 steps forward 1 step back pace.  It took about 45 hours to beat the game, and I'm coming up to ~ 80 hours or something , and I don't even feel like I'm halfway done with ranking all these camps up and still need 19 Time-sensitive  LoL deliveries which will be a major pain in the ass.  My time now seems to be spent at random making deliveries to rank up camps / raiding Mule camps for metals and ceramics to rebuild the roads.  In between all this dealing with the goddamn annoying BT's, the crying baby (who the hell thought this was a fun gaming mechanic?), the slip and slide driving.  I swear this game is a troll.  For every time I'm in awe of the beauty of this game, the story, the characters....just the art alone in this game is really incredible (ex: the recreation of the beautiful Lindsay Wagner in her youth)....there will be a part soon after where i'm ready to throw my controller due to annoying nonsense. 

The driving mechanics are pure shit unless on flat land or road.  Maybe this was Kojima's way to tell us electric vehicles are a bad idea?  And with all this tech, they couldn't come up with a tire that grips the terrain??  Driving in the mountains with a 4 wheel vehicle feels like I'm riding a big wheels on a hockey rink.  And I purposefully left a dead body by the spiritualist because I want to voidout this maniac for being in such a remote place that's damn near impossible to reach without an issue.  Also, maybe I ended up in the UCA-EBT because I feel ike I'm the only asshole building the roads while other people just stick signs by the pavers asking for someone to do it.  I'm up to like 25 roads built and there's still a lot more to go.  So even after that is done, then on to the network of zip lines for the mountains.....This game is seriously aggrivating at this point.  But I feel like I gotta now because if I take a break, then timefall decays everything you build and that will send all my road work to hell.....ARGH!  I think i'd rather grind another 50 levels in THPS or go for another 20 cyphers in Returnal than deal with this shit. 

If you're a beat the game and be done with it kind of person, think you will enjoy this if you can get past the slow beginning.  I was ready to dump it in the beginning until the Unger parts.  But for completionists, this game will truly test your patience unless you fall in love with it.  Happy to see a lot of people in here seem to have fell in love with it, but there's a possibility you may not.  I don't love it, and I don't hate it, but I'm definitely goddamn bored of it.

• Like 1