Trophy Thoughts

1 hour ago, NMErickson said:

List seems uninspired but gets the job done. Nice images though. Can’t wait to play these games again.

Not sure if serious. Do you play games based on the trophy art and cover art? Genuinely curious.

I actually know a person who color codes their trophy list.  If they play a game with dark purple in the trophy art for the main game tile the next game they play will have dark purple in the art.  If it's light blue the next game has hints of light blue.  If a game has all the colors of the rainbow in the main tile then he might play 3 or 4 games in a row like that.   sometimes he plays games alphabetically that arn't of the same series and if he does a series he does them all back to back.  Wouldn't be surprised if some people don't play games because of the trophy art.   OCD is a serious issue with trophy hunters. 

59 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

Don't let this list fool you. Some people may not be able to beat TMNT NES and will find the Platinum unobtainable (stupid seaweed swimming level ahhhhhh).

I know I couldn't beat one of them on the NES.  I remember being close to the end and playing the game a lot and never being able to beat it.  However, this game has saves and rewind so I'm thinking people will get it done.

• Like 2

Frankly, this list seems to have the same difficulty as the Blizzard Arcade Collection and Disney Classic Games, both also from Digital Eclipse.

The difference is that instead of having 2, 3 games, the Cowabunga collection has 13 games, some of them the greatest classics of all time.

The list is simple and straightforward, and the art has the game's cover art, I particularly liked it, but I would have added more trophies, in the same amount as Sheredder's Revenge. Trophies like completing a game in Co-Op for example, a trophy for completing all games, anyway.

I can't wait to play Tournament Fighters and Turtles In Time on SNES. Facing Karai and winning is not an easy task, and I don't want to use rewind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

Why? I buy clothes, cars, and so on that I enjoy and are fashionable, why would this be any different? And besides, this is a compilation of old emulated games, it shows an overall lack of care and attention.

Honestly, in your initial post, I'd hate to know about other games you'd pass on because of "cover art" and sounding a bit snobbish.  All I said was that it sounded like a lame excuse to me, and in a public forum of all places.  Who says that a game or even a collection needs to have great "cover art" to be good?  If you need to buy or don't buy a game because of "cover art" then maybe you should find a different hobby.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

I actually know a person who color codes their trophy list.  If they play a game with dark purple in the trophy art for the main game tile the next game they play will have dark purple in the art.  If it's light blue the next game has hints of light blue.  If a game has all the colors of the rainbow in the main tile then he might play 3 or 4 games in a row like that.   sometimes he plays games alphabetically that arn't of the same series and if he does a series he does them all back to back.  Wouldn't be surprised if some people don't play games because of the trophy art.   OCD is a serious issue with trophy hunters.

That’s extreme. I lump similar games or same genre together and play at same time a lot but could care less what the art looks like. Good art is just icing on the cake. Sounds like a bummer to miss out on good games because the award list is not up to par.

Edited by NMErickson
blabbing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aanginator said:

Honestly, in your initial post, I'd hate to know about other games you'd pass on because of "cover art" and sounding a bit snobbish.

The "Heh, look at this poor fool that spends his money on games for different reasons than I do" people sound much more snobbish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

The "Heh, look at this poor fool that spends his money on games for different reasons than I do" people sound much more snobbish.

In all honesty, I could care less about what the cover art for a game is, and I remember how bad some of the cover art for NES games was, like Mega Man's, for example.  If my previous post sounds snobbish to you, then I'd say that's your own fault.  Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out for games for which I can write a guide and get paid for it.  Then again, I could be posting "this game is going to suck because of the cover art".

5 minutes ago, Aanginator said:

In all honesty, I could care less about what the cover art for a game is, and I remember how bad some of the cover art for NES games was, like Mega Man's, for example.  If my previous post sounds snobbish to you, then I'd say that's your own fault.  Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out for games for which I can write a guide and get paid for it.  Then again, I could be posting "this game is going to suck because of the cover art".

You didn't need to double down on being snobbish. I got it from your first post.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

I honestly can't believe what I've just read.  Are you seriously comparing trophy icons to buying cars?!

And people are free to voice their opinions without specifically being asked to do so.  If you don't like or agree with that, well, you'll get over it.  Maybe you could cheer yourself up by buying another "fashionable" car. ;)

Kinda funny a self-described “pixel artist” doesn’t see the merits in designing good art. But maybe you should apply at this company, they clearly need the help.

The extra irony is I’m posting about my design pet peeves on a website devoted to a pavlovian-like collecting of digital artifacts and those collectors fail to see any connection. 

Oh, believe me I’m very clear how opinions work and how the internet works but thank you I would be truly lost without your deep insights.

• Like 1