This shovelware spam is making trophy hunting less fun

Pots3k

This debate will carry on indefinitely because everyone will draw the line on what is 'shovelware' and 'too easy' just below what they're doing. If we say that 5 minute platinums shouldn't count towards the leaderboard, why stop there? What about 3 hour platinums, or 10 hour visual novel platinums? You see the problem. This can't realistically be fixed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

Currently the system rewards sheer mass over anything else. Someone who puts 1000 hours into dogshit shovelware games can have 800-1200 plats if he only plays that kind of garbage, while someone who chooses normal games with the occasional grindy or tough game mixed in will not even be close to 100 plats in that time, that is just the reality of it. If you care about competition, then you should choose to do it in categories that actually make sense for you, that you are actually willing to properly compete in, and the current leaderboard definitely is not one of those. Someone who does not play a ton of the quick garbage has no chance to rank high with the current system, as even the ones who gathered trophies full time since the early PS3 days can no longer hope to keep their lead over people who played nothing but garbage for a year or two unless they play quite a lot of it themselves.

There will most likely be no real changes to the leaderboard here, as the site owner who could actually do it does not seem to give a fuck about anything and more or less noped out anyway. My suggestion if you want to compete, get yourself a bunch of people to compete with properly and create yourself a Discord channel or a website to do it. Small scope yes, but that way you can make rules for it instead of just watching people who fill their profiles up to 90% with garbage pass you on the leaderboard.

Yeah you make good points. I get that this is basically a zombie site now, I still use it because of the really clean profile UI. I have hopes for Truetrophies though. I think their philosophy is more in line with mine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FilmFanatic said:

If you want to move up the leaderboards then your only option is to start playing shovelware. There is no other way to be competitive these days. If you don’t want to play shovelware then find something else about your profile to care more about. At my height I was 25th on the New Zealand leaderboard and now I’m 43rd. Not that I really cared that much about the leaderboards anyway but I don’t care about them at all now since it’s just a spamfest. Instead, the goal I have for my profile now is getting my profile completion rate as high as possible. I’ve hit my initial goal of 97% (though starting my most recent game dropped it below that) and my next goal is getting it high enough above 97% that starting a new game won’t drop it below 97%.

If what people are playing is affecting your trophy hunting then maybe you need to consider trophy hunting for another reason besides the leaderboard.

I'm trying to care less about the PSNprofiles leaderboard now and instead focus on the Truetrophies one. I think their system is actually quite well done, especially when it allows for things like ignoring duplicate trophy stacks. 

• Like 2

I understand man. I've been years around top 50 NL which was just a fun brag for myself. I've been platting alot of ratalaika stuff through the years and even some of these extreme trash games but now it's just completely destroying trophy hunting. Couldn't care anymore either. It's been a lot more fun just playing casual.

• Like 1

Agree with you completely and it sucks, but unfortunately that's just how it is now. People will continue to buy shovelware platinums and ding their participation platinums (autopops) and you will fall further and further behind on the overall leaderboard no matter what you do.

Like some of the others have suggested, maybe work on your overall percentage and try and improve that. I liked the discord idea as well where you can compete against like minded people. Your server would be small to start but it will grow.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the Cowabunga collection, which isn't out until tomorrow but the list appeared a few days ago.

But because the trophy list has been scrolled off the screen so far down and since I don't own the game yet, there's no way of easily finding the trophy list or the forum.

Except for.... wait for it....using a bookmark!

That's how bad the site is now to navigate with all these trophy lists, just pouring in. Having to make bookmarks, like we're in the early 2000s.

Remember it was only half a year ago that we'd be making these topics and having them deleted 30 minutes later, it used to be a Sunday ritual.

Now it's everyday of the week, sometimes twice in one day we see these topics appearing.

Could be worse though, next step is a dev releasing a game with 256 free DLC included. And then we could have 2000 trophies or more in just one game.

Just like games like this on Steam

https://steamhunters.com/apps/810270/achievements

I am afraid things are likely to get even worse, not better. lol

I guess we just gotta roll with it!

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I'm looking forward to the Cowabunga collection, which isn't out until tomorrow but the list appeared a few days ago.

But because the trophy list has been scrolled off the screen so far down and since I don't own the game yet, there's no way of easily finding the trophy list or the forum.

Except for.... wait for it....using a bookmark!

That's how bad the site is now to navigate with all these trophy lists, just pouring in. Having to make bookmarks, like we're in the early 2000s.

Remember it was only half a year ago that we'd be making these topics and having them deleted 30 minutes later, it used to be a Sunday ritual.

Now it's everyday of the week, sometimes twice in one day we see these topics appearing.

Could be worse though, next step is a dev releasing a game with 256 free DLC included. And then we could have 2000 trophies or more in just one game.

Just like games like this on Steam

https://steamhunters.com/apps/810270/achievements

I am afraid things are likely to get even worse, not better. lol

I guess we just gotta roll with it!

Yes that is another major issue!! I used to love jumping onto PSNP daily and looking at the new trophy lists. That revealed many games to me that I had no idea were coming to PS. That's gone now.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

Currently the system rewards sheer mass over anything else. Someone who puts 1000 hours into dogshit shovelware games can have 800-1200 plats if he only plays that kind of garbage, while someone who chooses normal games with the occasional grindy or tough game mixed in will not even be close to 100 plats in that time, that is just the reality of it. If you care about competition, then you should choose to do it in categories that actually make sense for you, that you are actually willing to properly compete in, and the current leaderboard definitely is not one of those. Someone who does not play a ton of the quick garbage has no chance to rank high with the current system, as even the ones who gathered trophies full time since the early PS3 days can no longer hope to keep their lead over people who played nothing but garbage for a year or two unless they play quite a lot of it themselves.

There will most likely be no real changes to the leaderboard here, as the site owner who could actually do it does not seem to give a fuck about anything and more or less noped out anyway. My suggestion if you want to compete, get yourself a bunch of people to compete with properly and create yourself a Discord channel or a website to do it. Small scope yes, but that way you can make rules for it instead of just watching people who fill their profiles up to 90% with garbage pass you on the leaderboard.

sadly that is the only solution. :<

11 minutes ago, Pots3k said:

Yes that is another major issue!! I used to love jumping onto PSNP daily and looking at the new trophy lists. That revealed many games to me that I had no idea were coming to PS. That's gone now.

Yeah that’s the main issue I have with it tbh and yeah I have a few on mine but I’ve stopped now after finishing up the bundles I had that cane with a PS Vita. I mainly use the site to concentrate on cleaning up my backlog to get my completion percentage up now along with the forums. 

• Like 2