This shovelware spam is making trophy hunting less fun

Pots3k

What matters for me the most is the analogy between your trophy count. Hakoom has been overtaken by 5 people but he still has the best trophy analogy, thus he is still the best trophy hunter in my opinion. When you have more gold than silver or even bronze, it means you only play shovelware. Don't get me wrong I play them too, but I won't ruin my general gaming experience just for trophies. I will enjoy the occasional release of an interesting (for me) game, I will try different games (sometimes because they have interesting or fun trophies) and now and then I will buy a bunch of shovelware just to bump my numbers a little. 

I reached 7th in my country but I stop caring when people with 8k gold, 6k silver and 6k bronze overtook me. It's not worth it to destroy my gaming experience to hunt people you pay 20 to 30 euro a day just to play stupid games. Sony must address this or at least here at psnp it should me more about the ratio of your trophies, beacause the point syster is stupid. 

And I don't talk about rarity because rarity means nothing, it doesn't represent the difficulty just the % of people that were willing to put hours and hours into sport games that no one cares about. I don't think there are more than 50 trophies that are actually rare due to skill dependancy. 

All in all things have to change and in my opinion you need to give people the motive to play a big range of games, not only easy ones. Considering the situation this will only be possible if the point system becomes trophy ratio oriented 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Also the problem with these posts is they can never be civil, someone always has to cause a ridiculous argument which just causes it to be locked and then another will get posted. 

So far, so good?

1 hour ago, Ashande said:

Further, when you start using words like “worthy,” you’re inching into gatekeeping territory, which is not a good place to be. Inevitably, someone is going to be on the outside looking in based on an arbitrary decision of what is or is not “worthy” or “legitimate.”

Is it gatekeeping to ban hackers, griefers, etc from your games? Communities require gatekeeping to survive, and every decision you make about how to implement gatekeeping will be an arbitrary one. Why is it wrong to ban someone who, say, does nothing but spam slurs from your Discord server? Sure, it probably offends or at least annoys the fuck out of everyone, but why does that mean they can't participate? The answer is because someone in a position of power decided it'd make their community better.

... But that's completely irrelevant, because we're not talking about gatekeeping. Nobody in this thread has argued that all people who play ezpz plats should be banned from the forum or in any way prevented from participating in it, just that our competitions should have rules so as to prevent them degenerating into being quite literally pay to win. To imply that having standards for a competition or activity is gatekeeping is absurd. You may as well argue that every game developer who's ever balanced a game is a gatekeeper, then, as they've designated themselves arbiters of which tools and strategies are appropriate, which need to be cut down, et cetera. To say nothing of the virtual war crime of gatekeeping that is ranked gamemodes.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 4

Once you realise that most people don't really care about the leaderboard it sets you free. On my old account Flipendo52 I used to be miserable constantly playing the easiest games multiple times and I hated it. Somehow the situation has gotten much worse since then, but I don't care anymore. I'm playing games I want to. Believe me, unlocking a trophy that you worked hard for feels much better than going up a leaderboard spot through getting 100 easy trophies, and it lasts forever too. If at any point you had to stop playing for an extended period you will just drop down the leaderboard anyway, it's a permanent grind for temporary bragging rights.

Edited by Flipendo52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

(as an example, this is me on PSNTL:)

Screenshot-2022-08-30-at-08-59-05.png

This was interesting, thanks. I wasn't aware - or had forgotten - about this place. Not sure I'd fully agree on their difficulty formula, which simply seems to be based on the percentage of people who complete a game. For that reason they have Paw Patrol: On a Roll as a harder game than Dark Souls Remastered, which made me laugh. 

What's interesting is their adjusted rating is about where I was at my best here. They have me at 1,100 and I managed to get into the top 1000 here, but have slipped to 1,7xx due to avoiding the shovelware. It makes me think there is merit in adjusted leaderboards with different formula, if it might give people an idea of where they stand based on different parameters. I don't expect it would please everyone, but keep the current leaderboard, add more options to evaluate statistics, couldn't hurt.

Or it'll lead to more varied arguments at least, we could argue about three different leaderboards being wrong instead of one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turniplord said:

I wish people would stop putting the latest trash in the same category as My Name is Mayo...

Sure, some of you don't like those games and think they're a joke, but they actually had funny stories and provided entertainment even though you're simply tapping away until the various stories come to an end. The latest games are far, far worse than that as you literally hold one button for a few seconds and the platinum trophy unlocks. They offer no enjoyment, no story, and they don't even need any engagement outside of holding one button.

I feel games like Mayo and Mr. Massagy shouldn't be roped into the same category as these, the latest plague of titles that shouldn't be on PSN aren't even games - they're nothing.

Since I wrote this post, I've developed my own new metric for judging the legitimacy of a game. When you type it into google, does it have a rating? not a good or bad rating, a rating full stop. Mayo, for all it's ironic "following", does not.

If you care about the leaderboards you gotta play all this, if you don't just play whatever you want and enjoy trophy hunting as you should. Just Do it how you want that makes you enjoy gaming and trophy hunting , Since thats the Most important thing :) 

This thread aint closed yet? :P especially since people seems to have an autistic off-topic discussion in here.

* Yes shovelware spam ruined the leaderboard.

* Nobody can or will do a crap about it from all levels of the chain.

if these ezpz devs can cash in on trophy addicts that buy this fastfood crap, for a place on the leaderboard nobody cares about let them be.

I will just play fun and/or challenging games and work on my completion%. Thats what everyone should do. Fighting for a better leaderboard is nice, I did that as well, but tbf we are already long gone from a reasonable point. It makes no sense now.

Edited by Bumperklever

2 minutes ago, Conker said:

If you care about the leaderboards you gotta play all this, if you don't just play whatever you want and enjoy trophy hunting as you should. Just Do it how you want that makes you enjoy gaming and trophy hunting , Since thats the Most important thing :) 

Thanks pal, that is the most important thing :) it was just nice to also engage in a little friendly competition, which is feeling a bit less friendly nowadays. But this isn't stopping me from enjoying playing games. Many games left to play!

I once was 2600ish on the world ranking and after I stopped playing shovelware like two years ago I dropped to rank 3900. I still earn a lot of trophies. Almost 6 every day but since most of those are bronze or silver now I never ever gain ranks anymore. But I stopped caring about the LB and I started to enjoy trophy hunting a hell of a lot more. I suggest you try the same. 

• Like 1

One of the contributing factors to me giving up trophy hunting this month. The other was me failing to do a precise 600 in July lol.

I will still attempt to curate my milestones and very rarely go for a "high amount of trophies in x time" or time some platinums together, but yeah... The leaderboard now actively encourages people to take their money and time away from genuinely great things.

Some cash grab games can be fun to be honest but I’m not speaking of the ones where you just hold down a button to obtain a platinum because there is obviously no fun in that, them type of games are only good for increasing your platinum and trophies count plus good for getting closer to trophy milestones with.

2 hours ago, Pots3k said:

I mean, that's my primary goal. I only plat games I enjoy, but it (was) still nice to see how I ranked up against the other people on here in the leaderboard.

But then no matter the system you will always be at a disadavantage and probably drop more than you gain sooner or later on the leaderboard. I mean you are at rank 76 of your country and you don’t live on a poor one so it’s very likely that without shovelware there would still be 75 people that are doing more than just play what they want to climb the leaderboard. In the long run people who have a slight tendency to shorter games will outperform people who don’t have that

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

We need more spam games not less. Easy games is exactly what the community wanted and it's exactly what they're now getting.

Well to be fair, the community might have asked for easy games, but certainly not for this crap that gets produced literally everyday. 'Jumping food' is definitely not a game, more like a button click simulator.

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi

1 minute ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

Well to be fair, the comunnity might have asked for easy games, but certainly not for this crap that gets produced literally everyday. 'Jumping food' is definitely not a game, more like a button click simulator.

I had no idea that people were asking for "easy" games. I don't even get what the point of that would be. Like, if people were asking for more Telltale games or something, that would make sense, since they're games centered around providing an interesting narrative. Who plays a game literally because it's advertised as "easy"

Just now, CptToffer said:

I'm intentionally avoiding it ?

Good call. I got it which resulted in me hating the game so much I couldn't bring myself to plat it xD

1 minute ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

Well to be fair, the comunnity might have asked for easy games, but certainly not for this crap that gets produced literally everyday. 'Jumping food' is definitely not a game, more like a button click simulator.

I'm not so sure. As people earlier in the thread covered, "gatekeeping" is apparently bad if anyone ends up being unable to participate in the hobby. The end result is you have to have single click games become prevalent, after all someone who can't click 2 buttons at the same time would be excluded and that's "gatekeeping".

Personally we should have cut this at the bud a decade ago and helped people learn to play, rather than accommodate them. 

5 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

I'm not so sure. As people earlier in the thread covered, "gatekeeping" is apparently bad if anyone ends up being unable to participate in the hobby. The end result is you have to have single click games become prevalent, after all someone who can't click 2 buttons at the same time would be excluded and that's "gatekeeping".

Personally we should have cut this at the bud a decade ago and helped people learn to play, rather than accommodate them. 

The reason these "games" exist is far worse than that. The only reason they exist is that someone has realized they can make money off people who want to hear the "ding" noise and the dopamine injection.

Edited by Pots3k
  • Like 1