This shovelware spam is making trophy hunting less fun

Pots3k

2 minutes ago, coldish-pride5 said:

It’s not a coincidence that the bulk of players with a higher number of threads are the lowest in the rankings, “play some games”!, if you judge somebody then you create conflict, I could be of the opinion that if your not in the top 1000 in the rankings then you shouldn’t be txting me!, the reality of the leaderboard is if you’re not number 1 then you’re last, and there’s only one number 1 on here, you guys want to create an environment that suits your budget and time and principals etc, we all ticked the same box agreeing to the T&C’s. You should just get along otherwise you could put people off joining the site, genuinely for the recocord I plugged the fact I EARNED my platinum badge and boosted my views (thnx). It didn’t go all to plan though, I didn’t know I my real PlayStation dashboard would freeze, 

Judging people creates conflict? Leaderboard positions are based on income, when those games are .99 or less?

We're supposed to care about people choosing to leave the site?

I don't know what drugs you're on but I want in my friend.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ZedsDeadStevo said:

This is a push.. I mean, obviously I hope for this too but I can't see it. Why would they?

This 'works' for them because they are making bank from putting in the least amount of effort in making pixels jump, selling a level as one game, and stacking them up higher than Gramma's dishes.

It is a push and I'm not holding my breath. But there are probably a couple people at each of these dev houses that aspired to more than this when they learnt code or art.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

How is this thread not locked yet lol. It didn't take even take an hour for the first insult to be thrown lmao.

Not to mention how repetitive and pointless it is, every week there's at least 3 new threads like this and ends up the exact same, adding nothing and going nowhere aside from throwing shade for absurdly petty reasons and eventually getting locked.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Dude, you've popped double the platinums in 14 months than it has taken me - and a lot of folks like me - 15 years to amass. 

Of course people are going to take notice... 

...and some of them are going to want to look at your profile to see how such a feat was possible...

...and some of those are going to judge.

It's the nature of the site, I suppose.

If you're happy with your profile, that's great...

...but let's not start throwing around terms like "Jealous" when you did it the way you did - that's just fuelling the fire.

Some of us really don't like the idea of rarity boards, because of the potential sidelining of good, but non-rare games that it would inflict on the community...

...but it gets much harder to hold that position, when extreme stackers / ultra-fast profile holders like yourself start calling people" jealous", or strutting.

Um.... okay?

Well....

...congrats on last place then, I guess? 1f615.png

What’s really sad is the guy that made this thread is the only person to congratulate me on my badge 

Honestly, as someone who (currently at least) lives in a country with so many people that I see “climbing” my countries’ leaderboard as entirely pointless (I will never have that much money, motivation, or time-and I’m also 100% unwilling to play shovelware or speed through visual novel stacks to pad my account) I don’t really care about the leaderboards. 

I can defintely see how this kind of thing would frustrate people people who live in much smaller countries though. The problem is (on this site at least) there’s nothing to be done about it. Short of successfully petitioning Sony to remove the shovelware (and there’s virtually no attention from larger outlets to what has been going on on the PSN Store) they aren’t going to remove them or even stop releasing them.

And even if they did, you’ve still got the issue of all the people who’ve already played them. Unless the site changes ownership, I don’t see a rarity leaderboard happening, nor do I see the people who played the shovelware being kicked from the leaderboards. All of the top accounts on this site do it, and I don’t want to image the drama if all those accounts were kicked. 

Also, I have a pretty firm definition of what I consider “shovelware” (for instance, I don’t personally see the Rat games, EastAsiaSoft, any currently available VNs, or even the Mayo games as shovelware). I personally class shovelware as any developer who has come out with more than 5 very similar games within a year-and who’s games can be legitimately completed (I don’t consider speeding through VNs legitimate) by a majority of players in 30 mins or less. But everyone has a different definition, so that’s another problem. 

TL;DR: I understand the frustration, I just don’t think there’s anything to be done about it.

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Leaderboards were never about skill.  Leaderboard chasing was always a fool’s endeavor IMO.  It was about who had the most time (and fewest interests outside of gaming, be it family, friends/social, career, other hobbies, etc.).  Secondarily, money always came into play in regards to who was willing to spend their disposable income to have a huge quantity of games.  And let’s not pretend that every game was the same length, difficulty, etc. There were shortcuts before.

Don’t get me wrong, the issue with leaderboards is MUCH more pronounced now, it is a mockery of the system but there are some benefits to it, in that many will see the pure lunacy of it in the first place and finally stop chasing.  Moderation is the key to life.

The horse is already out of the barn.  It would’ve been nice to keep these PSN shovelware games as smaller point totals with no platinum but that didn’t happen.

I’m also in favor of a rarity leaderboard as another metric (like PSNTL has) but I’d caution against chasing that too, lol.  It is a losing battle.

Leaderboard chasing has always been about 1) time and 2) money.  Let’s not kid ourselves that is ever was a “skill”.  The shortcuts are MUCH more pronounced now but c’mon, folks acting as if the leaderboard really meant something in the old days, lolz.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, willmill97 said:

If it was up to me, I would just remove all the games from the store and delete all these 'trophies' from everyone's lists... ....everyone can dream, right?

I'm honestly with this! Seriously. Remove trophies altogether. Trophy hunting has ruined gaming for me. I don't even game for fun anymore. It's all about these damn trophies that I can't help but be... addicted to. Yes, addicted, LOL. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

And the award for most moronic comment of the year goes to...

Ireland is not a third world country and I'm pretty sure we even rank above the US in the majority of metrics. People should really engage their brains before posting whatever diarrhea comes to mind. Your ignorance is astounding. 

Yea I made a mistake. I confused it with India’s flag, they have the same colors. Editing the “third world” part out. Apologies!

I should mention that “third world” isn’t being used as an insult at all, but rather “most people in your country wouldn’t be able to afford buying all the shovelware games you own.”

12 hours ago, Pots3k said:

Since getting my 200th plat I've been quietly plugging away at my list and slowly making my way up the NZ leaderboard which has been a fun goal to work towards. All of a sudden, I've lost three places to people who have just platted 10+ of these stupid mayo games. It is really disheartening and is killing my enjoyment of trophy hunting.

Oh and to anyone lined up with a "none of it matters" or "who cares" or equally unimaginative post, I'll cut you off right now because, you see, the point of a leaderboard is to create an environment of competition between people which is inherently important to the people involved. If you're not interested in that competition, good for you, other people are.

In a (likely futile) attempt to put things back on course:

Unfortunate though it may be, the situation is what it is, and is unlikely to change any time soon - and the majority of the suggested changes would leave others feeling just as disaffected and upset as you are at this time, many of them with equally legitimate reasons. My only suggestion is “find your own fun.” The Leaaderboards are clearly no longer fun, for whatever reason, so dropping it in favor of something else would be my suggestion. There are plenty of challenge threads on here, competitions to be found here, on Discord or other sites (the Alphabet Challenge over on TT was entertaining, to me, as an example) that serve as interesting meta-games of the trophy system and produce scoreboards that may be more in line with what you’re seeking; looking into that might be worthwhile.

5 minutes ago, coldish-pride5 said:

I’m only playing with them is all, meant no disrespect to this community, I’ve enjoyed the whole experience but I’m glad it’s mission accomplished, it kept me entertained and that was priceless 

Congrats on your accomplishment!

I know I don't have the time to play that many games.

I did manage to buy up a lot of them because they were cheap, but I haven't played any of them yet.
Maybe, I'll get to the games one day.   However, for now they will just sit in my library.
Some of the animal images in some of the games are cute though.

You might want to try other visiting communities to see where your accomplishment may get a better reception.

It is interesting to read some of the things players do to get trophies.

I remembering reading this reddit thread a few days ago that really blew my mind.

Edited by sweeping-lamp3
  • Like 1

On a side note, how many of you are actually proud of your trophy collection and profile as a whole? I'm asking because I definitely am proud of my trophy collection without doubt. There's so many stories, experiences, philosophies, and various avenues of game design that I've gotten to experience thanks to the games I've chosen to play. Easy or not, what matters is whether it is interesting.

If any of the shovelware hoarders were proud of their profiles, I'd have my reservations unless you had Crypt of the Necrodancer slid in between Breakthrough and Jumping games.

Thanks, I have extremely thick skin,ogreish/liveleak/the ync, the golden era of the internet is over, games are breaking new boundaries, I can go back playing what I want when I want now I have my badge, the last of us is on order day after tomorrow and I’ve a few games to clean up, I really hate anticipation and had to get the badge asap, hopefully your in a position one day to get it and clean up your liabary.

13 minutes ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

Congrats on your accomplishment!

I know I don't have the time to play that many games.

I did manage to buy up a lot of them because they were cheap, but I haven't played any of them yet.
Maybe, I'll get to the games one day.   However, for now they will just sit in my library.
Some of the animal images in some of the games are cute though.

You might want to try other visiting communities to see where your accomplishment may get a better reception.

It is interesting to read some of the things players do to get trophies.

I remembering reading this reddit thread a few days ago that really blew my mind.

What did I even read.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, coldish-pride5 said:

It’s not a coincidence that the bulk of players with a higher number of threads are the lowest in the rankings, “play some games”!, if you judge somebody then you create conflict, I could be of the opinion that if your not in the top 1000 in the rankings then you shouldn’t be txting me!, the reality of the leaderboard is if you’re not number 1 then you’re last, and there’s only one number 1 on here, you guys want to create an environment that suits your budget and time and principals etc, we all ticked the same box agreeing to the T&C’s. You should just get along otherwise you could put people off joining the site, genuinely for the recocord I plugged the fact I EARNED my platinum badge and boosted my views (thnx). It didn’t go all to plan though, I didn’t know I my real PlayStation dashboard would freeze, 

So by not responding to my inquiry, I take it you don't like anything about the games themselves and wouldn't recommend any of them if they didn't have stupid easy plats?

Edited by Groudon199

I didn’t read it dude, “sorry”, not entirely is the answer, the games were a means to an end, I did play some games like 35 mm that I loved, lots of great individual moments in multiple games, buggy games are rank, I just wanted the badge, I don’t see a point to the leaderboard as you can’t get to number 1.