Worse game in series ?

brenika

I don’t like the fact if you miss one collectible you can’t chapter select till you’ve finished the entire game, also collectibles don’t stack so you have to do single run throughs for collectibles in 2 different runs for everything, you also have to do 3 single runs at least for the endings I just feel like I’ve played all the other games like this and enjoyed them but this one just took the fun out of it and was a grind for the sake of being a grind… I wanted it as my 175 platinum but I kinda wish I went for Horizon or something less mind numbing 

• Like 2

I guess it’s the most in the middle game in the series too.

Ah in all honesty, I was looking forward to this game but after all I’ve read I’m glad I haven’t picked it up. I might at some point if it comes down in price. But it doesn’t sound that great. Happy to read otherwise!

Edited by tonkie18

24 minutes ago, Ashande said:

Assuming when you say “series,” you’re referring to all of Supermassive’s titles (Until DawnHidden Agenda, Dark Pictures)? I don’t think it’s even close to being the worst, personally; Man of Medan takes that honor(?) with ease.

It’s certainly a painful list, but no more or less aggravating or time consuming than any of its contemporaries. It‘s not doing anyone any favors by being the longest (at least, it feels that way; I think the full runtime is around 10 hours?) but it offsets that by having a more likable cast and better story, though everyone’s going to have a different opinion of that (and Emma can eff right off, for me…)

Yeah I liked the cast.  Only Abi (whiny) and Ryan (wooden) fell flat but that might be more on the characters they were portraying as much as the actors.

As far as the playthroughs, always better to spread it out but the good news is that on your long playthroughs you are choosin* different options and so seeing new content along the way.  I would also choose different dialogue choices to to get new lines.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

Was massively looking forward to The Quarry. Actually paid significant money for it for a change! This was because of how much I enjoyed Until Dawn.

However, really disappointed. I did a blind playthrough, as I did with Until Dawn. But I just don’t have the energy or desire to go back and runthrough again. Story felt disjointed, the decisions got too “random” and frustrating. I get why it was like that, but it frustrated me all the same.

Until Dawn on the other hand I completed blind, then again twice more (partially) and loved every second. I could have happily ranthrough it again after that and ended up watching Twitch streams of others playing it!

I think the story was a little bit simpler whilst significantly more interesting. There were more jump scares and everything unfolded gradually. I’d even say the characters were more interesting and definitive in their personalities.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Haven't the plats in these Dark Pictures games always been pretty annoying? I haven't played any of them, but I seem to recall that Man of Medan (which I think is available on Extra) was pretty bad.

They’re all fairly similar, and all of them can be a little irritating and require multiple full (or close to full) playthroughs, being semi-obsessive about how you go about them. Until Dawn is the only one I’ve actually Platinumed, personally, though I intend to do The Quarry and House of Ashes soon. Just in a cooldown phase on the former and hadn’t gotten back to the latter after playing it obsessively for the first couple of weeks and continually getting hosed out of the last couple trophies, so set it aside in hopes of a guide. Hated Man of Medan, and Little Hope was… meh.

• Like 1

I am actually looking forward to playing this eventually, I enjoy these kind of games and don't mind going for the platinum's. I have platinum in Until Dawn and all the Dark Picture games. Little hope is been my least favorite so far. If I had to rank what I have played it would be Until Dawn, Man of Medan, House of Ashes, Little Hope.

Detroit Become Human, Heavy Rain even Until Dawn, all these types of games are all awesome to play,

But honestly all of them have annoying platinum requirements, and dodgy/confusing save progressions regarding to unlocking a certain collectible / a branch to the story. 

TellTale games they are not.

I loved Heavy Rain to bits but by the time I got platinum with all the crashing and screwing up certain playthroughs and having to play all over again, I hated it, so I sold it, I have Heavy Rain on PS4 thanks to PS+ but I doubt I ever want to play it again.

I'd much prefer to just enjoy these type of games, and then watch the other endings on youtube / play the game at my own leisure later without having to worry about trophies.

• Like 2

I don't think this was as polished as Until Dawn, but the characters (for the most part) stand out and it has some dark humour going for it, and even after losing count of how many playthroughs I did, I didn't really find it as horribly boring as I have with similar games like Beyond: Two Souls or Man of Medan. Apart from Chapter 7 though... that really needed a skip option.

• Like 1

I think this is my favorite of the games of this developer so far for my blind playthrough. Trophy hunting it sucks though and this is worse than the usual list for these games. They usually have the list tailored so you can do it in one playthrough with some chapter select or a partial playthrough to finish off. My blind playthrough was basically useless to shorten the actual hunt and this is at least two plus extra stuff. IF you don't mess it up, which is easy to do.

Edited by Man of Inaction
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's like every generic teenage slasher horror movie ever made wrapped in one.

But like some of those shitty teen slasher movies, there's some charm to it. It flirts on that it's-so-bad-it's-good line. Considering you have to play through most of the game about 4 times for the platinum, I've got the whole script memorized at this point. I feel like your decisions don't matter as much in this one as like an Until Dawn did. All your decisions funnel into 1 of 2 potential endings no matter what you do basically. Kill off either one or both of the 2 crucial characters you're supposed to keep alive and you get the shitty ending, keep them both alive and you get the good ending. All the other characters literally don't matter. 

It's an okay game for one blind playthrough though and then shelve it because it gives you no reason to ever play it more than once. Unless you are a trophy hunter of course and are willing to put yourself through the agony of playing a game like this 4 times. Then it becomes a mind-numbingly redundant affair.