The PlayStation 4 Firmware Update Thread (5.50 is Live)

Parker

''PlayStation 4′s system software update v2.00, codenamed Masamune, launches next Tuesday, 28th October. One of the features included in the update that I’m most excited about is Share Play, and we put together a quick video to show you how this innovative feature works. Check it out!

As we’ve said before, the best way to think about Share Play is like a “virtual couch”. PS4 will create an online local co-op experience by allowing you to invite a friend to join your game for up to one hour at a time – even when they don’t own a copy of it. Share Play has three main functions:

• Share Screen – Share your screen with a friend, allowing them to spectate. This is ideal for PS4 owners that want to watch their friends play a game and provide helpful tips. PlayStation Plus is not required to use this.
  • Hand over my controller – Pass your controller to a friend, virtually, and watch them play. Your friend does not need to own, or even download the game, in order to use this feature. This is perfect for introducing your friends to new games. The host will need to be a PlayStation Plus member, but the guest does not.
  • Hand over another controller – If a game supports local multiplayer, you can have your friend join as player two. Again, the visitor does not need to own, or download the game in order to use this feature. Both players will need PlayStation Plus to use this feature.

Share Play pushes the social interactivity of PS4 to new heights and we can’t wait for everyone to try it out. What games are you looking forward to trying Share Play with?''

Shareplay visitors CANNOT earn trophies, so if you want to play something in local co-op the guest player won't get any rewards, except playing the game of course.

Edited by Saltyie

I have a feeling 2.0 will make or break the PS4 for November sales...I really hope its not buggy and Shareplay works beautifully, if it does the sky is the limit with Playstation!

If 2.0 turns out to be crap...you know what, im focusing on the positives! 2.0 is going to be amazing!!!

It could be that this was retouched, look at the notifications: 12 - Friends 34 - Trophy Level 123 - Time 12:34 - its 1 2 3 4 all over the top of the page. Photo was retouched/altered

Dat Dylan Rider trophy card doe :|

+ Andrew Kelly on October 24th, 2014 at 3:13 pm said:
Glad you’re excited about it! Trophies gained during Share Play will be reflected on the host’s account, not the visitor’s.

Edited by kidhero99

:(

Perhaps this way the feature might not potentially cannibalize their game sales? If its just a matter of a friend having a copy and you can play together, why buy another copy would be what some might think

But Lets be honest tho almost nobody is going to allow their friend to play through Dragon Age/Assasins Creed or any other 15+ hour game. It would be a huge hassle cause you cant use your own PS4 in the mean time, plus you need to be there to start a new session every hour.  its stil a perfect replacement for the lack of demo's we had last gen and this one.
Edited by kidhero99

Perhaps this way the feature might not potentially cannibalize their game sales? If its just a matter of a friend having a copy and you can play together, why buy another copy would be what some might think

But Lets be honest tho almost nobody is going to allow their friend to play through Dragon Age/Assasins Creed or any other 15+ hour game. It would be a huge hassle cause you cant use your own PS4 in the mean time, plus you need to be there to start a new session every hour.  its stil a perfect replacement for the lack of demo's we had last gen and this one.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't let my friends mess with my DA saves :P It would be great as a taster for a game, I could see if GTA V on next gen is worth buying, or if the new CoD is any good. I wonder if it'll have a cooldown period after the initial hour. I doubt they'd set the timer at an hour if we could just reset the timer when it runs out. 

They're marketing this as a virtual couch, so I guess it's similar to a physical couch in that the friend can earn you trophies, but I can already tell that this feature is going to get abused. E.G "£5 and I'll get you through Outlast's Insane mode", "£2 an hour and I'll grind Killzone Shadow Fall's multiplayer for you". Hopefully practices like that will be discouraged among trophy hunting communities, but someones definitely gonna try something like that.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't let my friends mess with my DA saves :P It would be great as a taster for a game, I could see if GTA V on next gen is worth buying, or if the new CoD is any good. I wonder if it'll have a cooldown period after the initial hour. I doubt they'd set the timer at an hour if we could just reset the timer when it runs out. 

They're marketing this as a virtual couch, so I guess it's similar to a physical couch in that the friend can earn you trophies, but I can already tell that this feature is going to get abused. E.G "£5 and I'll get you through Outlast's Insane mode", "£2 an hour and I'll grind Killzone Shadow Fall's multiplayer for you". Hopefully practices like that will be discouraged among trophy hunting communities, but someones definitely gonna try something like that.

Oh, I already mentioned that before. And I have no doubt people will sell their trophy hunting skills to those who really need it, and no doubt there will be peeps willing to shell out the cash for the assistance. Easy money is still easy money. The temptation to do it will be there  B) 

Edited by kidhero99

it's out

I'm reading what's new before I flash:
- you can set how long USB ports are going to be powered (for charging controllers)
- there's a guide for voice commands
- devices now display mouse (so it should work now)
- you can record voice messages by pressing triangle
- tweaks to the party screen
- PS button brings you to popup now (YEAH!)
- battery indicator in upper left corner

The library now includes games from all accounts. If you buy games from another region on PSN they will show up in the library on your other user.
  • Like 1

Can we download the new themes yet? Or will they be added with the store update?

You can change color on your PS4 but, their no word on when, they release themes (Picture/icon) on PSN.

Also the YouTube app is now on PSN

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-dk/apps/youtube/cid=EP4381-CUSA01116_00-YOUTUBESCEE00000

You can manually check for updates for individual games now with the options button. Sometimes when I install a new game it won't find the update until I'm in the game so I have to quit out.

Oooh, livestream remains active in the corner when you exit the stream back to the browsing area!!!!

Oh wow just noticed there's a Capture Gallery option in each game's Live Area now.

You can change color on your PS4 but, their no word on when, they release themes (Picture/icon) on PSN.

Also the YouTube app is now on PSN

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-dk/apps/youtube/cid=EP4381-CUSA01116_00-YOUTUBESCEE00000

Can't find the app though for the PS4. All I can see is PS3 and Vita.

You can get themes here: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/search/f=%5Ethemes%7Cbucket~games%3Aplatform~ps4%3Aprice~0-0%7C

Anyone else try uploading a video clip to Youtube yet? I had trouble linking my accounts but even after that, the upload just fails immediately.

Nope, I've tried linking my account twice, and it gets stuck connecting to the server :/

So far 2.0 seems pretty sweet.

One thing I noticed that bothers me, with the live stream language filter, you should be able to choose multiple languages. For example, I'd like to see English US AND UK streams, since they're the same language but different countries.

Haven't tried shareplay yet, anyone know if it's good?