The PlayStation 4 Firmware Update Thread (5.50 is Live)

Parker

The default PS4 theme doesn't usually have the sparkles does it? I remember them updating the PS3 XMB to have sparkles, looks like they did the same thing.

Apparently they'll be adding new background themes with the update:

"We’ve made a lot of adjustments and improvements to PS4’s main UI. That includes a range of changes, like revised pop-up notifications, updated system icons and new system backgrounds to choose from".

I like the new sparkle theme, will be using it when the update goes live :D

Edited by Finozzi1696

i want like the ps3 that you can see how long a friend of you have been offline

Yeah, that would be nice. The way it is now, I have no idea if someone has abandoned their account or not. Some of them could have been offline for months for all I know.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Yeah, that would be nice. The way it is now, I have no idea if someone has abandoned their account or not. Some of them could have been offline for months for all I know.

not really a "friend" if you don't even know if they been offline for months. remove them already!

edit: So there is nothing about 2step verification for sign in? :( guess hacking still will continue.

Edited by Fing3rButt3r3

Hopefully, this will finally rid us of the stupidity of hidden trophies.

Hidden trophies serve a purpose though. Some trophies have spoilers in them, so it makes sense as to why they're hidden.

not really a "friend" if you don't even know if they been offline for months. remove them already!

It's true.  :P I try to keep tabs on everyone on my friends list, but it's hard, and I don't even have that many.  xD

• 4 weeks later...

It's cool that they're finally letting us view our trophies offline, and the option to view hidden trophies is a welcome addition, but one thing I want above all else is a trophy progress tracker similar to what the Xbone has.

This this and THIS! This is the feature i want the most the tracker would be absolutely amazing to have. 

Is there any word on if they've changed the pop up notifications from how they were in the beta? I know a lot of people didn't appreciate the change to white.

This this and THIS! This is the feature i want the most the tracker would be absolutely amazing to have. 

Agreed. Considering how long it took just to add folders and the ability to view trophies offline though, I think we'll see this come in the year 2020 at best. :P

Edited by Undead Wolf

Is there any word on if they've changed the pop up notifications from how they were in the beta? I know a lot of people didn't appreciate the change to white.

Agreed. Considering how long it took just to add folders and the ability to view trophies offline though, I think we'll see this come in the year 2020 at best. :P

I mentioned it on the blog for the next update hopefully they see the message and actually listen. 

The next major system software update for PS4, version 4.00 (codenamed Shingen), will be available tomorrow. This update brings a refreshed system UI, Folder organization, updates to the Quick Menu and Share Menu, Library improvements, and much more!

We detailed a number of the new features making their way to PS4 prior to the beta program last month, but we wanted to share some additional information on other changes that you’ll see after updating your system.

Quick Menu — Music

In addition to updating the Quick Menu to make it easier to access without leaving your game by having it cover only a portion of the screen and making it more customizable, we’ve also added several new items to the menu. One new addition to the Quick Menu that wasn’t featured in the beta program is an enhanced Music section to allow you to discover, play, and control Spotify without needing to open the app.

From the Music section of the Quick Menu you’ll now be able to play, pause, skip, shuffle, repeat and save songs. The Music section also allows you to discover recommended playlists for the game you’re playing and view your saved Spotify playlists and songs. When you select a playlist, you’ll be able to see all upcoming songs and choose to play all, or select an individual song to listen to from that playlist.

The PlayStation Music team and Spotify have been working with your favorite game creators to create playlists to enhance your gameplay. Follow PlayStation Music on Spotify to get the latest gaming playlists first.

29005991283_f046533d25_z.jpg

PlayStation 4 Pro Updates

In anticipation of the release of PS4 Pro on November 10, 2016, we’re adding a number of features that will support the system’s ability to output high-resolution content. This update will enable the following on PS4 Pro:

• 1080p streaming for Remote Play on PC/Mac and compatible Xperia devices
  • 1080p streaming for Share Play
  • 1080p 30/60fps live broadcasting on YouTube
  • 1080p 30fps live broadcasting on Twitch

High Dynamic Range (HDR)

When we announced PS4 Pro and the new slimmer PS4 last week, we also announced that all PlayStation 4 systems — back to the very first console sold in 2013 — would be HDR capable. After updating your system to version 4.00, you’ll see HDR settings in the Video Output Settings and be ready to enjoy HDR gaming and entertainment content once it’s available on any PS4 system you own. Of course, you’ll need an HDR compatible display as well.

What’s New

What’s New has been redesigned and now includes more information about what your friends have been doing on PS4.

The left column includes the new Activity Feed, which has larger images and easily accessible options to like, comment, or reshare. The right column includes sections for Now Playing, Trending, Players You May Know, and Who to Follow.

29003983834_670348f2b9_z.jpg

Content Info Screen

We’ve given a similar redesign to the content info screen, which you can access by pressing down on a game tile while on the home screen. You’ll be able to easily select from a variety of options to view a game’s Overview, Trending media, Friends and Communities, Activities, and related PlayStation Store content.

29595079526_f284429462_z.jpg

Data Transfer to New PS4

In order to make it easier to get all of your data from one PS4 to another, especially if you upgrade to PS4 Pro, we’ve added the ability to transfer data over a wired LAN connection. You can transfer games, user info, and saved data. Of course, you can re-download content and transfer saves through the cloud, but the LAN transfer should be much faster and easier.

Those are just some of the more prominent additions making their way to PS4 in this update, but there are a number of other refinements to the system software overall. Please enjoy!

Source: PlayStation Blog

Seems like a pretty damn good update. I'll update the OP when the patch is officially live. 

Parker

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about this update. The new design of the quick menu is awesome, the pyrimard icon for trophy rarity is a nice addition and the re-design of the game-overview looks really good too. I also like the fact that they finally added folders in this update. However, there are also a lot of things I really don't like about this update. The white notification bars are disgustingly ugly, the white outline around all the games looks awfull and the counter that shows the number of online friends just hasn't been placed in the right position. Also, the re-design of the profiles made them even uglier than they already were. Sure, the ability to add your own cover to your profile is really cool but other than that the profile page is only downgraded in my opinion. 

Overall, 'meh' update. I wish they at least give us the oppurtunity to change our notification bars back to normal again and adjust the placement of the friends-online counter.

Are they not still doing the offline mode for trophies?

They did add that feature. When you are offline and select 'trophies', your PS4 will show you an error message. Select 'OK'. Now your PS4 will show the message: 'Cannot load trophy information'. Select 'View Trophy Information Saved on PS4' and you'll be able to view all the trophy lists of your PS4 games.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the white notifications. Maybe I'll get used to them, but I prefer how they were before. The What's New section is pretty much unusable now. Everything is way too big and takes up too much space. Everything looks like a mess. I like that you can set a cover image for your profile, although I wish the trophies weren't so out of the way. If you're playing a game, the trophies are pretty much hidden until you scroll down. I would of preferred if they were at the top as they're clearly the most important part. :P

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like everything loads slower. It makes me think this update was designed for PS4 Pro first and foremost.

They did add that feature. When you are offline and select 'trophies', your PS4 will show you an error message. Select 'OK'. Now your PS4 will show the message: 'Cannot load trophy information'. Select 'View Trophy Information Saved on PS4' and you'll be able to view all the trophy lists of your PS4 games.

Jesus Christ, this is incredibly obnoxious.

It makes me think this update was designed for PS4 Pro first and foremost.

Well, of course.

It's like Vita/PS3 when PS4 came. Sony concentrates only on the most recent release =D 

PS4 Amateur is not going to be main now =D

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like everything loads slower. It makes me think this update was designed for PS4 Pro first and foremost.

Yeah, I was thinking so too. It's nice that they added a new loading icon but it just feels like Sony wants to show us that with this update :P.

Jesus Christ, this is incredibly obnoxious.

True. I wonder why they don't just handle this the same as on PS3.