The PlayStation 4 Firmware Update Thread (5.50 is Live)

Parker

3 minutes ago, SamS7398 said:

Was hoping that we'd get PS1 Classics with trophy support.. Damn I really wanna play Gex Deep Cover Gecko, Croc, Destruction Derby 1&2 and so many more.

Hmm, maybe in a future update if we're lucky. Who knows what the future may hold.

There are more features than I expected from the leak! It's not the best update ever, but there are unexpected stuff that I welcome:

- Black Pop-Up Notifications, hell yeah I missed it!

Notifications, Leave Party and Time Clock in Quick Menu. Finally I can keep an eye on my games!

- Friends custom lists.

As for people complaining about the ID change, it's more a feature that Sony will need to program into the PSN infrastructure, not from a system update.

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Maxie Mouse said:

As for people complaining about the ID change, it's more a feature that Sony will need to program into the PSN infrastructure, not from a system update.

Exactly this. There was no rumor, no hoax, it was simply the winning option in a poll. Username change is server-side, and PSN is not a PS4 exclusive. It's also on PC and mobile, and you can do some basic things like on PS4. And what would happen to my PS3/Vita saves if i change the ID?

Edited by T87
  • Like 1

It may not be the big update I was hoping for, but I'm glad the early leak wasn't all there was to it. Funny how the best thing about this update for me is restoring something a previous update took away (black notifications). That's kind of sad when I think about it. :P I've missed them so much! Being able to disable notifications when watching stuff is nice, assuming it works with blu-rays/DVD's, and not just online video services. Other than that, the small improvements to the Quick Menu are welcome.

Now that they're bringing back black notifications, maybe I can stop ignoring my PS4 so much. Then again, maybe not. :P

On 2017-08-17 at 0:20 PM, T87 said:

Exactly this. There was no rumor, no hoax, it was simply the winning option in a poll. Username change is server-side, and PSN is not a PS4 exclusive. It's also on PC and mobile, and you can do some basic things like on PS4. And what would happen to my PS3/Vita saves if i change the ID?

I think the only way to do it without them just outright pulling "support" [PSN functionality] on PS3/Vita is to just make our current IDs a "Sign-in ID" kind of like Steam. And then let us change our display name freely, which we sort of can do as it is but only with facebook right now and only to a list of friends who you allow to see it and who agree to see it/show you theirs too. Maybe since we can do that on PS4 as it is, they're working toward that end goal, testing how they'll do it in a smaller way first.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I think the only way to do it without them just outright pulling "support" [PSN functionality] on PS3/Vita is to just make our current IDs a "Sign-in ID" kind of like Steam. And then let us change our display name freely, which we sort of can do as it is but only with facebook right now and only to a list of friends who you allow to see it and who agree to see it/show you theirs too. Maybe since we can do that on PS4 as it is, they're working toward that end goal, testing how they'll do it in a smaller way first.

They will NEVER pull PSN from PS3 and Vita.

55 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Can I borrow that time machine?

Don't be a troll. There's only one PSN and it covers all four systems. And if they shut down it on PS3 and Vita we'll be basically forced to pirate a whole generation of games.

Edited by T87

12 minutes ago, T87 said:

Don't be a troll. There's only one PSN and it covers all four systems. And if they shut down it on PS3 and Vita we'll be basically forced to pirate a whole generation of games.

I'm not being a troll, you made an absolute statement that you can't possibly know is true. And you decided to double down, rather than take the hint that you have no idea what the future holds for the servers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...