What is your best PS PLUS discovery?

olliebear66t

11 hours ago, olliebear66t said:

That's a good point. I can't remember if I would have played life is strange otherwise but it is a rare 10/10 game for me. But yeah, sony did always give the full season for episode based games. what are you on about 

Yeah I was wrong. I checked that now, I was completely off.

Days Gone. Absolutely amazing, breath of fresh air to play this amongst all the amateur zombie games there is to play. Was so satisfying end game going around killing all the hordes I wasn’t strong enough to kill off while playing through the story. Hope there will be a PS5 upgrade some day to get the platinum all over again :D

Theres been a good handful of great games, someone mentioned Concrete Genie and I have to agree that was such a calm, relaxing masterpiece. 

Edited by FocusDR

"Operation: Tango" was a surprise for both me and my brother who played it through with me till 100% completion. Genuinely was a complete surprise, lots of laughs were shared and we bonded over solving the puzzles and having to communicate effectively. If you haven't given it a try, I greatly suggest it. :) 

• Like 2

Hard to say. Maybe the original Kingdoms of Amalur...which is fitting, because I'm literally playing the remaster as I type this. We got it in 2013, But Amalur is what opened my eyes to RPG's. I didn't play RPG's before Gen 7 (except Pokemon when I was a kid, but I didn't even know it was an RPG at the time), so through PS+ I decided to expand my horizons a bit...and KoA put me on to RPG's after that. I believe the next one I played was Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and really enjoyed that too...so both of those kinda cemented RPG's a top genre to go after. 

PS+ has gotten me out of my comfort zone for more than just RPG's, but KoA was like the first big game from PS+ that was extremely memorable. 

Edited by Viper

I don't know if I NEVER would have played it had it not launched on PS Plus all those years ago, but I have to go with Rocket League. Approaching 3,000 hours and I still play it almost every day without fail. It's the ultimate 'just one more game' game.

There are some other smaller titles that I really enjoyed a lot. Strider, Stick it to the Man, Dust: An Elysian Tale, and Doki-Doki Universe to name but a few. I don't think I would have given any of them a fair shake if not for PS Plus. 

I think the days of discovering hidden gems through PS Plus are over, though. I feel as though we don't get nearly as many unknown games through the service anymore. A few, but not a lot compared to years ago. I can't remember the last time I discovered a game purely through PS Plus without having heard something about it beforehand. I always seem to have heard about nearly every PS Plus game these days, even the smaller titles. So it isn't so much about discovery for me anymore, it's more a case of being pleasantly surprised when a game I'm interested in comes to the service. 

I’d definitely have to say Yakuza Kiwami. I’ve never played a JRPG before this and it was amazing. The game is filled with a huge variety of real challenges and I felt very accomplished after each one. The game is difficult in parts but it’s not impossible, so it keeps you coming back. I remember my nephew watching me intently while I was playing pool against the expert AI - both of us screamed when I finally beat it ? Learning to play mahjong was probably the best part - I loved that “aha!” feeling when I finally understood how to play.

This next game I’ll mention was given away for free - I don’t believe PS Plus was required - but I will mention it because it did leave an impression. It was Journey. I was playing alone and not expecting much. A few moments later someone silently sits next to me. I think great, I want the co-op trophy but I don’t know how to communicate this to the person. Anybody who has played the game will understand what I mean by that. Somehow though they effortlessly understood. Without a word we took off together, stayed by each other’s side the entire time and finished the game together. It turned out to be very sweet and I completely understood the point of the game after that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mina said:

I’d definitely have to say Yakuza Kiwami. I’ve never played a JRPG before this and it was amazing.

Yakuza Kiwami is not a JRPG. It's an action adventure, just like most Yakuza games. The only exception to this rule is Yakuza: Like a Dragon, the first RPG in the series.

Edited by R4M Razr

I would've played most of the games I've played on Plus anyway so I won't mention those.There are some I might have skipped and I'm glad I didn't.

Life is Strange. I mean... The story, the use of music, it was and still is incredible. Half of the soundtrack is on my playlist and Spanish Sahara is playing now. The gameplay though... Not so great. 

Rime. I didn't like it at first, the gameplay was boring and the story didn't seem all that interesting. Until I started to piece things together. Some tears may have been shed. 

And recently, Lost Words: Beyond the Page. Not quite as good as the previous two but still a very touching, incredibly voice acted story. The gameplay is a bit more involving though so it balances out in a way. 

I may have not enjoyed the gamey parts of these games that much but I'm definitely glad I got to experience them. I can't even tell how many times I've rewatched certain scenes from LIS or the ending from Rime.